GM Inside News Forum banner

2009 Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year Contender: Chevrolet Traverse

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  red_rider 
#1 ·
2009 Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year Contender: Chevrolet Traverse

Chevy's new three-row crossover proves among the more pleasant surprises in this year's Sport/Utility contest. The Traverse is the fourth General Motors' model built on its Lambda chassis architecture, others being the Buick Enclave, Saturn Outlook, and GMC Acadia. The Traverse is functionally much the same as its cross-brand siblings and gives Chevy a much-needed entry in this segment, replacing the ages old, truck-based TrailBlazer. It also gives us our first taste of GM's direct fuel-injection V-6 in this platform, although the other variants also are so equipped for 2009.

"Times have changed," says senior editor Ron Kiino. "We're criticizing a Honda instrument panel and center stack and praising a Chevy's." It's true: The Traverse's IP and controls are clean and workable. The interior plastics and materials are attractive and appear durable. Third row access is straightforward, although the second row's high floor and short seat bottom compromises its comfort a bit.

The Traverse is a nice-looking piece on the outside, too, although the rear window line is shaped the way it is in the name of style, not visibility. Fold the second- and third-row seats flat, and the Traverse will swallow 116.4 cubic feet of stuff. Need to bring more junk along? No problem, given its 5200-pound towing capacity.

Everyone has been pleased with the powertrain. With optional dual exhausts, the newest version of GM's 3.6-liter DOHC V-6 spools out 288 horses, more than competitive power, although it's necessary to move the Traverse's 5111 pounds, plus cargo. The engine is quiet and smooth, with a wide powerband. It's mated to a six-speed automatic transaxle, replete with a handy toggle switch on the end of the shifter to allow manual scrolling up and down all six gears.

Do you think the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse has what it takes to take home the title of 2009 Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year? Find out who the winner is at midnight eastern time on Oct. 16.

Link: http://blogs.motortrend.com/6294568...-year-contender-chevrolet-traverse/index.html

See less See more
#4 ·
My aunt has a Trailblazer and they are a great vehicle, especially for what she leases it for. I see them all over. They are great to park, nice riding, and they are just an all around nice vehicle. I have never drove a Lambda before, but from the reviews they seem to exceed the W-body. The only things my aunt hates about the vehicle is that it sucks in the wintertime, the doors close very hard. You can slam them two or three times and they still won't close all the way. She also has the entertainment package with the Bose stereo and sunroof, but it bothers her that there is no outside temperature gauge. Other than that, she said she would consider leasing another one.

#10 ·
The Traverse looks like it was designed by George Patton............a real tank! It's a Dodge Caravan with big wheels!
I now own a GMC Envoy. I would not....repeat...not trade my Envoy for this tank.
I was hoping for an S-10 Blazer version with an efficient V-6.........and I get this Kenworth.
If GM doesn't get it's act together on bigger is better.........well how do you spell Chapter 11?

#11 ·
Mark my words: Subaru Forrester will win. It seems to be an all-around good vehicle and the best value out of all the vehicles in it's class. Not to mention, it's been getting rave reviews by just about every automobile magazine I've read out there.

My sister and brother-in-law were looking for a cheap, family-friendly SUV to use as a commuter car. Since I'm the only one in my family who knows about cars, I looked at all of the vehicles in the segment, the Forrester was, hands down, the best for the money. They were going to buy an Escape Hybrid, but they weren't going to pay $800 a month for the lease and $700 a month to buy when they could buy another Lexus RX.

#12 · (Edited)
Traverse is a nice vehicle, but I prefer the styling of the Acadia.

The Ford Flex is loved by the media but hated by everyone else apparently.

I'd vote for the Toyota Land Cruiser for obvious reasons. All the other "SUVs" are crossovers, which belong in the minivan or station wagon comparison.

#15 ·
Traverse is a nice vehicle, but I prefer the styling of the Acadia.

The Ford Flex is loved by the media but hated by everyone else apparently.

I'd vote for the Toyota Land Cruiser for obvious reasons. All the other "SUVs" are crossovers, which belong in the minivan or station wagon comparison.
cuv's with big tires, truck-like ride height and a high seating position will not replace the car-like dynamics of a wagon, or even a minivan for that matter.

#13 ·
Well it wont win, but I really like the Traverse over most in that lineup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.