GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://thewheeldeal.blogs.fortune.c...ry-brand-sub-luxury-price/?source=yahoo_quote

Dating exactly when Lincoln fell out of the luxury-car category is difficult – but fun.

You could start with the 1977 Versailles, a version of the Ford Grenada that was

started up with a vinyl roof and bumper-mounted spare tire. Then there was the Continental, masquerading as a luxury car but was powered until its death in 2002 by a measly V-6 engine. Or maybe it was those short-lived pickup trucks, the Blackwood and the Mark LT, that staggered under the Lincoln star and excessive sticker prices.

My personal answer to the question ‘”What killed Lincoln?” is the corporate reorganization in the 1990s under CEO Jac Nasser that led to the Premier Automotive Group. A slug of money was allotted to Lincoln so that it could develop an exclusive large sedan, known internally as “The Flagship,” to relaunch the brand. But a recession arrived before “The Flagshp” did, and Lincoln was reduced to marketing knockoffs of Ford (F) division models like the Focus and Edge. Their heritage was little disguised by Lincoln’s decision to adopt Euro-style nameplates like MKZ and MKX.

All that zigging and zagging has produced a predictable effect on sales. Today rival Cadillac (GM) is outselling Lincoln handily, with about three Caddys sold for every two Lincolns.

While Ford shows no interest in trying to hoist Lincoln up to luxury status again with exclusive models or pioneering technology, it is becoming more clever at “badge engineering:” spinning Lincolns out of Fords.

Case in point: the 2009 MKS, which bears almost no resemblance to the homely Ford Taurus (nee Five Hundred) from which it sprung. The high rear-deck, sleek profile and in-your-face front grille on my Sangria Red test car drew a surprising number of thumbs-up from passersby during a drive from New York City to the Massachusetts Berkshires. The interior was just as handsome, with its finely-detailed instrument panel, sophisticated graphics, and leather and wood steering wheel.

The MKS can’t completely escape its humble origins. It is powered by the same 3.7 liter V6 Duratec that resides in the Taurus (and produces a mediocre 17 miles per gallon city, 24 mpg highway). But the test car came loaded with standard equipment, and even with special wheels, a rear-view camera, and a navigation system, it stickered out at just $42,605 – a good value in my eyes.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
The current Taurus does not have the 3.7 Liter engine. If they are going to slam, at least be correct.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Scathing.

So, they liked the car, yet they knock it because the architecture is loosely based on the Taurus?

They don't share powertrains.

The 1995-2002 Continental was V8 only.

The car is selling well enough... only the 5-Series and E-Class outsell it.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I am just hoping that the MKT comes to market looking VERY close to the concept.....to my eyes it is stunning in an avant garde manner and could be a real game changer, especially the version with 4 back seats for the limo trade. I love how the concept looks from every angle. I'd even be happier if the MKR concept came out as a production model...simply awesome to look at.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Scathing.

The car is selling well enough... only the 5-Series and E-Class outsell it.

You forget the CTS. It's not too precise a comparison, but niether is your mention of Of the 5 or the E.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
You forget the CTS. It's not too precise a comparison, but niether is your mention of Of the 5 or the E.
I thought the CTS split the difference in size between the C and E, and 3 and 5?

Price-wise and feature-wise, I think it does compare to the MKS.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Drop the letters 'DTS' anywhere within this article and then the MKS turns into something akin to the Batmobile......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I am waiting for the Lincoln Continental Mark IX, I saw a concept, and was it stunning. When it came to quiet luxury FORD began advertising in 1967 that the LTD was a quiet as a Rolls Royce. The Lincolns and finally the Continentals were definitely that, quiet.

I am proud that FORD, even though challenged has the courage and tenacity to work and create something the buying customers want, forgetting what everyone else is doing, and losing at. the MKS sales are beating Lexus, this is no small feat. World War II, was the example: The Imperial honor is defeated only by overwhelming humbling power, MKS=Atomic Bomb! Toyota, is serving the Fugu Fish, from a new restaurant today in their LS managers mandatory meeting.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
So I clicked the link for the article and it changed - the line about the Continental disappeared. He realized he goofed and corrected it. But the errors of spelling Granada wrong and incorrectly stating the Taurus had a 3.7 are still there.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I thought the CTS split the difference in size between the C and E, and 3 and 5?

Price-wise and feature-wise, I think it does compare to the MKS.
It can be confusing, can't it? Does one use price? Size? Features? Platform exclusivity?

As for size, I think the CTS is just a few tenths of an inch longer than a 5 Series. Isn't the MKS rather bigger than that? On the other hand, the MKS's starting price is considerably higher than the Cadillac, but I think they both top-out at about the same ($50K +/-). I wonder if either will take sales from the other. The MKS and CTS are so different in so many ways I think they'd attract completely different shoppers.
I am on record (somewhere) saying the MKS will certainly put a sizeable dent in the already falling sales of Lucerene and DTS.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
deh, I don't mean to be dumb, but, haven't Lincolns ALWAYS been based on Fords?

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
No no no no no. Not until Lincoln went to crap in the late 1960s did they share anything major with Ford.

Sweet Jesus, man. The LS was a DEW98 car. Rear wheel drive.
Not so fast. The 1961 Lincoln Continental was based on the Ford Thunderbird of the time... same with the 1967 Mark III.

As far as I know... there has never been a Lincoln past 1961 that didn't share an architecture with Ford. The problems arose when they started sharing sheetmetal. Even the Lincoln LS had a Thunderbird companion.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Not so fast. The 1961 Lincoln Continental was based on the Ford Thunderbird of the time... same with the 1967 Mark III.
1. No it wasn't. It was designed to BE the 1961 Thunderbird. They then made it bigger and turned it into a Lincoln. The Thunderbird then got its own design going.
2. I know that, that's why I said "late '60s" in my post. And I think you mean 1968.5.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
1. No it wasn't. It was designed to BE the 1961 Thunderbird. They then made it bigger and turned it into a Lincoln. The Thunderbird then got its own design going.
2. I know that, that's why I said "late '60s" in my post. And I think you mean 1968.5.
I'm 90% sure that the Lincoln Continental and Thunderbird shared a common architecture. Yes, the original Continental design was meant to be a Thunderbird, and it ended up being a Lincoln, but they also built the Thunderbird from it.

They were both built from unitized construction, which was highly unusual at the time, when BoF ruled the roads. I would love to own an original 1961 Continental, but the chassis is floppier than warm American cheese. The Thunderbird of that vintage is an improvement, for sure.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Lincoln seems to be doing a lot of advertising lately and the TV ads do a good job of highlighting the cool features of the vehicles, especially the MKS.

BTW, is the CTS going to get any new commercials, or will the launch ads continue indefinitely? They aren't bad, but getting old.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
The Kate Walsh "When You Turn Your Car On......" ads are starting to get moldy....

This, however, I haven't seen alot......gives off a slick Star Trek kinda vibe ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts