GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right after the new EX, it looks like the second generation Infiniti FX is already on it's way:

I got invited to a market research study and it turned out it was to evaluate a concept FX. I had to compare it against the new Acura MDX, BMW X5, Lexus RX, and Mercedes ML. The side profile is pretty much the same with the addition of vents in front of the front wheels. The back is evolutionary with nice curves and lines. It is a nice step forward. As to the front, I remain somewhat speechless. Where-as the current FX has a tall front grill, the front of this car appeared much thinner. It was almost like the front of a sports car had been stuck onto the FX. The front was the biggest change and I'm not sold on it yet. However, compared to the other cars, I'd still pick the FX.

The FX37 gets bumped up to 300 horsepower. The FX50 comes with 390 horsepower and 369 lb.ft of torque. This sold me more than anything. I would guess that if the weight doesn't change that much, this thing must be quick.

The interior was nice. The steering wheel was hot with really cool looking paddle shifters. The look of it and the instrument panel reminded me a bit of the Acura MDX. The center console was much like the M.

They showed some technology on a laptop demo:

1) Slow moving traffic cruise control. The car can slow down and speed up based on the car in front of you.

2) The mirrors would move if you moved the seat. So I guess if you're on a long drive and occasionaly change your seat position, the mirrors would auto adjust with you.

3) This was the coolest. It was the rear-view camera taken to the next level. There were cameras in front of the car and behind it. On your Nav screen, it would show an outline of the car (as if looking down from the sky) and would paste the images around the car, so you'd have an almost 360 degree view of what was around you.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Infiniti's lineup seems to be getting pretty serious lately. They have really been becoming a true player against the top dogs in the last while, and the new EX and FX will not falter this. Good job Infiniti.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
for years I had thought the FX35 and 45 were cool looking suv's but when I recently went to a dealer and sat inside...I was somewhat disappointed that such a heavy SUV was so tight inside.

I know its a cool truck and I'm glad its getting a bigger motor...but quite frankly I don't think I would ever go for that truck...

fwiw...I liked the leather equipped Mazda CX7 better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
normally, I maintain an auto finance blog, this is an exception. If the truck really looks like this, I might trade my 2004 FX
AFI

·
Registered
199 Posts
Infiniti FX

Wow!! I really like this...bold outside and nice inside.
The FX50 has a 390hp V8 and the FX35 is a 300+hp V6. Comes with a 7 speed automatic transmission and all the rest of Inifiniti's gadgets.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
The current FX45 gets 14 mpg (combined) and costs $50,100. I'm sure adding 70 hp and 1/2 liter will make a wonderful shade of lipstick for this pig.

A Tahoe hybrid costs less, has way more room and gets 50% better mileage.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I wonder if the orange leather upholstery will still be available? I always liked it. :cool:

·
Registered
279 Posts
The current FX45 gets 14 mpg (combined) and costs $50,100. I'm sure adding 70 hp and 1/2 liter will make a wonderful shade of lipstick for this pig.

A Tahoe hybrid costs less, has way more room and gets 50% better mileage.
A larger more advanced engine paired with a 7 speed transmission as opposed to the old 5 speed should do wonders to help with the fuel economy.

A Tahoe isn't even the same type of vehicle as the FX, so I'm not sure where that comparison comes from. The SRX would be more of a competitor to this, and sadly, it looks like the Infiniti has raised the bar on the SRX.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Infiniti FX

Wow!! I really like this...bold outside and nice inside.
The FX50 has a 390hp V8 and the FX35 is a 300+hp V6. Comes with a 7 speed automatic transmission and all the rest of Inifiniti's gadgets.
Impressive. I'm checking Autoblog, leftlanenews, and jalopnik, and the FX hasn't even debuted yet.

·
Super Moderator
20,870 Posts
All that technology sounds great and all, but when you put it all into a car that looks horrible, well...

·
Super Moderator
20,870 Posts
And that fender vent looks like an ultra-pathetic attempt to copy the Vue's

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
This new FX exhibits the kind of political incorrectness that Pontiac should exude. It is its own as far as styling goes. It doesn't try to mimic anyone and it works! Love it or Leave! I'm loving it!

·
Registered
866 Posts

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
new grille, new interior - will the press again lie and call it "all new" like with the Murano and Altima (and Corolla. Matrix, and Camry)?

Igor

1 - 20 of 37 Posts