GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a good look at the 2009 GM Product Guide shows some MPG improvements gained in various ways.

Some examples are shown below.

Saab 9-3 Aero:
2008 MPG: 16/26
2009 MPG: 19/29
How it was done:
Aero-type appearance and performance package is now an available option on 2.0T 4 cylinder “Sport” FWD models.

Chevy Aveo:
2008 MPG: 24/34
2009 MPG: 27/34
How it was done:
Powering the Aveo lineup is an enhanced version of GM’s sophisticated 16-valve DOHC four-cylinder engine. Technologies such as electronic throttle control and an electrically controlled thermostat to help maximize performance and efficiency across the rpm range. It also features an integrated oil cooler with piston spray nozzles.

Chevy Colorado:
2008 MPG: 18/24
2009 MPG: 18/25
How it was done:
Added a fuel system control module for improved fuel economy – up to 25 mpg on the highway with the 2.9L engine.

Chevy Cobalt:
2008 MPG: 24/33
2009 MPG: 25/36
How it was done:
More efficient and more powerful 2.2L Ecotec with variable valve timing, new 3.63 final drive ratio with the manual transmission and new 15-inch low-rolling resistance tires.

Chevy Malibu LT/LTZ:
2008 MPG: 22/30
2009 MPG: 22/33
How it was done:
Introduced late in the ’08 model year on LTZ models and expanded to LT models in 2009, the Malibu’s 2.4L Ecotec engine is partnered with a 6T40 transmission to deliver a great balance of performance and fuel efficiency.

Chevy Malibu Hybrid:
2008 MPG: 24/32
2009 MPG: 26/34
How it was done:
Malibu Hybrid delivers an estimated 34 mpg in city driving and 26 mpg in the city – an improvement over 2008 models, thanks to better control of the battery charging/discharging system and new low rolling-resistance tires.

More to follow - I'm sure!

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's good to see GM doing all they can with existing models as fast as they can.

What a great and simple idea for the Saab Aero.

Then again...

Oil soars on dollar, Energy Department report
Wednesday June 11, 3:00 pm ET
By John Wilen, AP Business Writer
Oil soars as high as $138 a barrel as dollar falls and Energy Department reports supply drop.

·
Registered
44,430 Posts
Saab 9-3 Aero:
How it was done:
Aero-type appearance and performance package is now an available option on 2.0T 4 cylinder “Sport” FWD models.

Wait... WHAT????

A 2.0T Aero model? What's the HP rating on this so-called Aero engine? Is it also 280HP???

If I understand this correctly, All Saab did was add an Aero "effects package" onto the Arc/Linear model and call it a day. It's an Aero... but not really. That's like saying... Here's an M3, but we didn't drop in the engine, but gave you everything else and called it an M3 anyways.

:lame::lame::lame::lame::lame:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Taking a good look at the 2009 GM Product Guide shows some MPG improvements gained in various ways.

Some examples are shown below.

Saab 9-3 Aero:
How it was done:

Awesome product improvement :rolleyes: ... Why not actually improve the 2.8L with direct injection or a few of the other engine tech goodies that are rolling around? :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Wait... WHAT????

A 2.0T Aero model? What's the HP rating on this so-called Aero engine? Is it also 280HP???

If I understand this correctly, All Saab did was add an Aero "effects package" onto the Arc/Linear model and call it a day. It's an Aero... but not really. That's like saying... Here's an M3, but we didn't drop in the engine, but gave you everything else and called it an M3 anyways.

BMW does similar things. Has an optional M appearance package I believe on some vehicles. This can be seen on the 135i. It has a M appearance package already on it since there isn't supposed to be a M version of the car.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It's probably not price competitive with a 2-mode. 4 MPG in the city is a great improvement. The 2-mode will be cool, though.
They could probably get away putting 2 mode in a relatively base Malibu and sell it for what a loaded Malibu goes for. With all the sales of the 2 mode Tahoes and Yukons they have sold I'm sure the economies of scale have been met..... oh wait.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I believe its because the 2.8L is to be replaced by a 3.0L direct injected motor that makes 260BHP NA and 420BHP turbo.

Really? Any idea when this is gonna' happen? Hopefully, the same time they roll out the way over-due next gen 9-5 (supposedly MY09.5).

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
One thing I have wondered about low rolling resistance tires: do they increase stopping distance? I'll look it up now.

EDIT: It seems they do increase stopping distance by at least a few percent, although there are some that dispute that.
Aren't they essentially just hard compound tires?

I've heard one person saying that they changed out the tires and rims on their Civic Hybrid for larger wheels and tires and saw a huge drop in mpg...guess the weight and less resistance can add up.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Wait... WHAT????

I like the idea personally..it's like the Fusion with the sport appearance package. Looks awesome but you can still get an I4 and manual trans :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's probably not price competitive with a 2-mode. 4 MPG in the city is a great improvement. The 2-mode will be cool, though.
BAS+ will be available w/ 6 speed auto. The 1.4 DI Turbo, with BAS+, 6 speed auto, and HCCI will be a combo no other manufacturer will have in 2010. Great mileage, greater power, smooth drivability, and unbeatable engineering solutions at a lower cost than lower power Toyota Synergy drive. I believe that these systems that GM is introducing in 2010 will over the next decade define what hybrid means in the eyes of the consumer. It will be the other auto manufacturers that will be following GM's lead in hybrid technology.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Really? Any idea when this is gonna' happen? Hopefully, the same time they roll out the way over-due next gen 9-5 (supposedly MY09.5).
Information on the 3.0L 260 motor was seen on a brochure for the CTS Wagon so Im guessing around that time the 3.0L motor will come out.

They should use the 3.0L motor in the Malibu to boost bother horsepower and fuel economy and give use a diesel option in it and call it a day.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts