GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
3.4 0-60 isn't bad, I can't even imagine what it would be if it had AWD or at least better tires.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Oh man... this is good. this is really really good. For a Ferrari beating car this is awesome. Looks like I'm gonna take that job dancing at Chip & Dales after all.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
How did you determine the new 2009 ZR1 Corvette needs better tires?

Have you driven one? Have you examined the new tires created by Michelin for this car? How did you form your opinion?
I suspect he's referring to the fact that, as cars become more powerful, low speed acceleration is being limited primarily by traction. It's tough to get such a powerful car to "hook up" off the line and still have it be capable everywhere else.

The car's trap speed is a better representation of the power boost over the
Z06. Over 130 mph in the quarter used to be well beyond the scope of factory-produced cars. I remember when an modified 11 second street car was a big deal. Now anyone with the money can buy one off the showroom floor!

The traction issue does mean it is unlikely the incredible improvement in 0 - 60 times we've seen over the last 15 years or so will continue. Getting into the two second range will require a lot more traction ... though with fuel economy and emission concerns, this may be the peak for a while anyway.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Yeah, its going to be some time before we see a sub 3 sec car.

103k, 10 grand for what amounts to be the 4LT package, with gas tax and everything...you are looking at a 120k car.
Thats dangerous territory. Gotta have a lot of hand made this, hand crafted that, real metal and real quality at 120k.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
How did you determine the new 2009 ZR1 Corvette needs better tires?

Have you driven one? Have you examined the new tires created by Michelin for this car? How did you form your opinion?
131mph in the 1/4 mile is equal to about a 10.5 second time with good traction. Who cares though, this car is sick. I hope they don’t take to much away from the supercharged engine going inot the Camaro.

·
Premium Member
35,149 Posts
The GT-R can is only a second slower to 60. I am afraid the V spec is going to kill the ZR-1 0-60, after they get going, the v spec will not be able to keep up. Given by the quarter mile, the GT-R is usually looking the the Z-06's tail.

The GT-R makes quarter miles at 11.7 seconds from an edmunds rolling start, , ZR-1- 11.3 seconds, the viper does it at 125 mph, the Zr-1 at 131...

The only advantage Nissans will have over corvettes is standing still 0-60, rolling starts, there is no way they could keep up... the corvettes simply are lighter, have more tourque and more horses...
This is truly epic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts