GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Cadillac has taken one of my favorite cars and made it into one of my most hated. It looks as if they outsourced the design of this to JC Whitney.

I wish they'd have allowed the thing to die with a little dignity.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Cadillac has taken one of my favorite cars and made it into one of my most hated. It looks as if they outsourced the design of this to JC Whitney.

I wish they'd have allowed the thing to die with a little dignity.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Perhaps if Cadillac had given the XLR a proper makeover with the same effort that they gave to the new CTS it wouldn't have to die at all.

That's the one thing that consistently pisses me off about GM. They release a great vehicle that is almost where it needs to be in execution, but instead of seriously addressing its shortcomings or trying a 2nd gen, they either let it whither from neglect, execute a ''lipstick on a pig'' approach, or kill it all together.

Do you think Mercedes is killing its SL? No, they'll probably continue to refine it like they have done over all these years.

GM, send Cadillac in to play to win, or pack it up and get out of the game, period!! :mad:

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Perhaps if Cadillac had given the XLR a proper makeover with the same effort that they gave to the new CTS it wouldn't have to die at all.

That's the one thing that consistently pisses me off about GM. They release a great vehicle that is almost where it needs to be in execution, but instead of seriously addressing its shortcomings or trying a 2nd gen, they either let it whither from neglect, execute a ''lipstick on a pig'' approach, or kill it all together.

Do you think Mercedes is killing its SL? No, they'll probably continue to refine it like they have done over all these years.

GM, send Cadillac in to play to win, or pack it up and get out of the game, period!! :mad:
I have to agree. It seems to me that in many respects that GM is reactionary. Take Honda for example. The first Odessey was a flop. They went back to the drawing board and the 2nd generation vehicle was a best seller in the segment.

It seems that GM will try something and then drop it if it doesn't work. GM seems to be so much about "brand", you'd think they'd stop renaming each new generation of a vehicle in a given segment. It's confusing.

With the XLR, I can understand giving up. The SL has a reputaion and following all around the world. If US sales aren't so great, sales elsewhere are going to round things out. The XLR never did sell outside the US mostly because it didn't strike anyone that doesn't live here AS a Cadillac.

On the other hand, the decision to keep the SRX name on the new FWD/AWD model coming next year is heartening. It's not the names that are the problem. As they say, the 3 things required for success in the auto business are:

1) Product

2) Product

3) Product

Call it " The 2008 Rat-on-a-Stick Brougham" if you like. If it's good, people will buy it.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I have to agree. It seems to me that in many respects that GM is reactionary. Take Honda for example. The first Odessey was a flop. They went back to the drawing board and the 2nd generation vehicle was a best seller in the segment.

It seems that GM will try something and then drop it if it doesn't work. GM seems to be so much about "brand", you'd think they'd stop renaming each new generation of a vehicle in a given segment. It's confusing.

With the XLR, I can understand giving up. The SL has a reputaion and following all around the world. If US sales aren't so great, sales elsewhere are going to round things out. The XLR never did sell outside the US mostly because it didn't strike anyone that doesn't live here AS a Cadillac.

On the other hand, the decision to keep the SRX name on the new FWD/AWD model coming next year is heartening. It's not the names that are the problem. As they say, the 3 things required for success in the auto business are:

1) Product

2) Product

3) Product

Call it " The 2008 Rat-on-a-Stick Brougham" if you like. If it's good, people will buy it.
Hi megeebee,

I could not disagree with you more after evaluating the 2009 Cadillac XLR Platinum and XLR-V in person for purchase. I was sold on the 2008 XLR-V for replacement of my 2005 XLR until I directly compared the 2009 XLR Platinum to the 2009 XLR-V and to my surprise, I like the 2009 styling changes of the XLR Platinum over the XLR-V.

I was not sure how I would feel about the styling exterior and interior updates of the 2009 XLR, but again after evaluating them in person, I was very impressed with both XLR models. The engineering updates directly affect the handling, specifically in steering and suspension response. It was hard to believe the Cadillac XLR engineers could improve the ride quality, but they have. When I talked to engineers their comment was software, software and software are the reasons for these improvements. Engine, transmission, suspension and steering software algorithms have all been updated to improve steering response, ride quality and handling response. Compared to my 2005 XLR it feels like a strong improvement but when I talked to other XLR owners whom have the 2008 XLR platinum, their response was, it is an improvement but less when compared to 2008 XLR Platinum

The upgrades that relate to Bluetooth and Onstar Internet navigation downloads were powerful updated features for my requirements. I often use Internet directions in preparation for appointments.

From a power perspective the XLR-V remains my favorite. Anyone serious about purchasing a Cadillac XLR Platinum or high performance XLR-V will not be disappointed in my view.

JLM

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
You both are correct. The Cadillac is a stunner, to say the least.
And yes, I'm equally saddened that Cadillac is abandoning the XLR: my favorite Cadillac. The XLR-V is an all-around better car than the SL550 it competes against (not to mention a far superior chassis), yet doesn't cost much more.
GENERAL MOTORS SHOULD NOT HAVE ABANDONED THE XLR!!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
The changes leave me wishing for more--they seem rather insignificant.

The centers of the new wheels should definitely have the color-keyed 'wreath & crest' logos (Cadillac should be consistent with this across the board).

It seems like too little to re-kindle interest in this dynamic platform! Styling is what attracts buyers to Cadillac showrooms, and although this model has an abundance, the XLR has always been overpriced. If it were $10,000-18,000 less, they would have sold twice as many. If the model is definitely getting the "ax," buyers are going to wait for the inevitable 'deep discounting,' or else skip considering it altogether.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
You both are correct. The Cadillac is a stunner, to say the least.
And yes, I'm equally saddened that Cadillac is abandoning the XLR: my favorite Cadillac. The XLR-V is an all-around better car than the SL550 it competes against (not to mention a far superior chassis), yet doesn't cost much more.
GENERAL MOTORS SHOULD NOT HAVE ABANDONED THE XLR!!!
Hi PMC the 1st,

From a Cadillac XLR buyer perspective and my evaluation of the 2009 Cadillac XLR at the XLR Rendezvous III event, Cadillac’s designers and engineers focused on refinements and improvements on the XLR for 2009. In fact at this XLR owner event, all of the owners applauded Cadillac’s decision to continue investment in the 2009 XLR Platinum and XLR-V in the areas of styling, design, engineering and technology. Many XLR owners have an opinion of why change perfection. I am for the most part in that line of thinking. However, the updates to the 2009 XLR are worth the attention of luxury sports car buyers in my view. That is one of the key reasons I wanted to attend this Cadillac event, was to see the 2009 Cadillac XLR in person and by doing so it finalized my purchase decision with a new Cadillac XLR.

Based on my discussions at the Cadillac XLR Rendezvous III this past June with Cadillac's General Manager Jim Taylor and XLR designers, engineers and builders, the improvements, updates and refinements of the 2009 XLR hit on target for XLR luxury buyers. And based on the owner response at this event, I would agree. As part of this event, Cadillac provided XLR design/technical clinics and a special XLR plant build tour that enabled the owners and enthusiasts a better appreciation of the world class design, technologies, engineering, advance systems created in the Cadillac XLR. The only change in the 2009 Cadillac XLR that was polarizing with owners, with a love versus hate response regarding the new side vents. Again a surprise for me in that I am not fond of vents as a rule, but I found myself liking the side vents on the 2009 Cadillac XLR Platinum with the optional chrome wheels, very impressive looking in person.

Prior to attending this event, I completed my most recent evaluation, of Maserati’s GranTurismo, Aston Martin‘s Vantage Coupe, Mercedes-Benz SL550 and Jaguar’s XKR Coupe, all superlative luxury GT sports cars in my view. And for me there are two sports car designs that reach the level of perfection in overall styling and design and they are Cadillac’s XLR and Aston Martin’s DB9/Vantage Coupe. Visually these two car designs contrast each other beautifully and both are so compelling to look at in motion or just standing still.

In my experience luxury sports cars are not critically evaluated by prospective buyers as I have performed. And for the most part, that was the case at this Cadillac XLR owner event as well. There was an attorney and CEO I had a conversation with that was just as exhaustive as I was in comparative evaluation of Cadillac's XLR to Mercedes-Benz’s SL and Jaguar’s XK. They both purchased XLR-Vs, 2008 and 2007 model year respectively. Ultimately luxury buyers considering Cadillac’s XLR for new purchase for 2009 model year will have some very nice enhancements.

JLM

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
That chrome fender vent absolutely kills the looks of the car...well, that and it's $85K price tag.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Those gauges are epic fail. They are so plain, they couldn't of at least chrome-ringed them or something?!

Other than that, I absolutely love this car.

·
Registered
803 Posts
In don't know what the deal is but I don't disagree with any of Cadillac's current styling changes. I think the "refreshed" XLR looks great. (Yes the gauges do need chrome though...)

Actually, I've seen more new "refreshed" STS on the road in my area than older STS. They must be doing something right, b/c I used to barely see STS's.

Details...make all the difference sometimes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts