GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...all is now up. Nothing too huge for Buick, except that the Lacrosse is now the sole vehicle with the 3.8L and the Lucerne gets....the 3.9L and retains the 4-speed in all. The Lucerne actually got quite a few changes, albeit small, and the rest are colors/options as usual.

Guess they figured out what to do with all the extra 3.9L's around!

Lacrosse
Deletions
(DG7) Mirrors, outside power-adjustable, body-color
(QB5) Wheels, 16" steel with wheel covers
(PY1) Wheels, 16" 8-spoke Chrome-Tech
(N85) Wheels, 17" 12-spoke painted aluminum
(PZE) Wheels, 17" 12-spoke, chromed aluminum
(FR3) Axle, 3.69 ratio
(LY7) Engine, 3.6L VVT DOHC V6
Exhaust, dual stainless-steel
(FE2) Suspension, 4-wheel independent, Sport-Tuned
Exterior color (27U) Scarlett Red
Exterior color (67U) Platinum Metallic

New Features
Exterior color (17U) Quicksilver Metallic

(ZFH) Tire, compact spare, includes steel wheel and jack kit, 16"
(ZBE) Tire, compact spare, includes steel wheel and jack kit, 17"
(UPF) Bluetooth phone interface, short range voice recognition

Changes
CXS, 4WE19 Model is not available for 2009
LaCrosse Super takes CXS place
Tire inflation kit added as standard on all models

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...6835&type=0

Lucerne
Deletions
(AU0) Remote Keyless Entry
Visors, driver and front passenger vanity mirrors
(QPX) Tires, P225/60R16 all-season blackwall
(QC4) Wheels, 16" machined-face aluminum
Exterior color (14U) Light Quartz Metallic
Exterior color (99U) Sharkskin
(PZ3) Wheels, 18" Bright Silver finish aluminum
(P31) Wheels, 18" chrome plated aluminum
(FQ3) Axle, 2.86 ratio
(FV3) Axle, 3.11 ratio
(L26) Engine, 3.8L V6 SFI
(LD8) Engine, Northstar 4,6L DOHC V8
(FE1) Suspension, 4-wheel independent, Premium Ride
(FE3) Suspension, 4-wheel independent, Sport-Tuned
(PCK) Luxury Package

New Features

Exterior color (57U) Cyber Gray Metallic

Exterior color (96U) Mystic Sapphire Tricoat

(UPF) Bluetooth phone interface
(UBS) XM NavTraffic
Seat Trim, custom perforated suede-appointed seating
(RMG) Chrome decklid molding
(V3L) Grille, chromed
(QZ6) Wheels, 17" chrome-clad aluminum
(P49) Wheels, 18" premium Bright Silver finish aluminum
(Q9M) Wheels, 18" chrome-plated aluminum
(FR2) Axle, 2.93 ratio
(FV4) Axle, 3.71 ratio
(LZ9) Engine, 3.9L V6 SFI
(LGD) Engine, 3.9L V6 SFI FlexFuel
(L37) Engine, 4.6L DOHC V8 Northstar
Exhaust, stainless-steel with chrome tip
(FE4) Suspension, 4-wheel independent, Super

Changes
(PDD) Comfort and Convenience Package, (AG2) 6-way power front passenger seat adjuster and (DR2) outside heated power adjustable mirrors are not included in package

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...6958&type=0

Enclave
Deletions
Exterior color (78U) Blue-Gold Crystal Metallic

New Features

Exterior color (92U) Silver Green Metallic

(UBS) Real Time Traffic XM
(UPF) Bluetooth phone interface
(KB6) Seats, heated and cooled driver and front passenger
(LLT) Engine, 3.6L Variable Valve Timing V6 SIDI Direct Injection
Optional (UVC) Rearview camera system added to inside rearview mirror

Highlights
(PCU) Entertainment Package #1 no longer includes 6-CD changer
(KV1) 110-volt port power inverter is now in all Entertainment Packages and has been removed from the (PCK) Luxury Package
(PCI) Driver Confidence Package now includes (UVC) Rearview camera system

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...795&type=0#

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any thoughts on the Buick revisions...especially the Lucerne finally abandoning the 3.8L but then getting the 3.9L?

Some interesting ones there.

·
Registered
340 Posts
We can see how much passion the existing Buick cars evoke around here. :rolleyes:

I suppose the 3.9 in the Lucerne is an improvement over the 3.8. I'd be much more excited if it was the DI 3.6 and 6-speed automatic transmission. It's disappointing to see the 3.6 being dropped from the LaCrosse. I guess we know the (less-than) Super models will be short-lived because of CAFE.

The new Invicta/LaCrosse can't come soon enough.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, not that the 3.9L is a huge improvement, but it should at least have more power and be quieter than the 3.8L in the Lucerne. The big wonder is fuel economy, since the 3.9L has varied in that regard since intro, especially in comparison to the classic 3.8L.

As for the Lacrosse, NO one ever bought the CXS trims in the first place, and they actually dropped the trim after a few months into the '08 model year because of the Super and the no-sale factor. It's one of GM's most "classic" cars and the 3.8L in it, alone, is a big reason why some people buy it. Actually, on that note, the new Super has now almost become what the CXS was for a few years...the nicest top trim that few actually buy.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
As stated above, I think they should go with the 3.6 DI and 6-speed tranny as base in Lucerne. I'd think a highway mileage of 30-32 would be easy with that setup. Heck, the 3.8 with 4-speed can get 30 in most cases. Always has in the Regals, LeSabres of years past. It is a very efficent combo, but just wasn't updated enough through the years to some.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've posted this elsewhere, but I will be buying a 3800 Lucerne soon. Unlike some here, I actually want the 3800.

Wonder if Bluetooth will be a possible add-on to a 2008 car?
The Bluetooth is a function of a new Onstar 8.0 system, which isn't back-compatible. Basically, unlike some thinking it was just an add-on module, it's a new Onstar all together and all one unit that is vin specific.

The only possibility is if they have or will develop an add-on module to existing Onstar systems that can handle it, and offer a Bluetooth accessory. That would be popular and cleanly done, but out there as far as a maybe guess...and one I would not count on at all.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
The Bluetooth is a function of a new Onstar 8.0 system, which isn't back-compatible. Basically, unlike some thinking it was just an add-on module, it's a new Onstar all together and all one unit that is vin specific.

The only possibility is if they have or will develop an add-on module to existing Onstar systems that can handle it, and offer a Bluetooth accessory. That would be popular and cleanly done, but out there as far as a maybe guess...and one I would not count on at all.
Um you can have your OnStar Hardware updated. I'd assume GM would keep the connector the same as to not have to change the wiring harness.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Yeah, not that the 3.9L is a huge improvement, but it should at least have more power and be quieter than the 3.8L in the Lucerne. The big wonder is fuel economy, since the 3.9L has varied in that regard since intro, especially in comparison to the classic 3.8L.
The 3.9 I had in a 2006 Impala 3LT rental was actually noticeably louder than the 3.4 I had in my 2001 Impala.

I'm sure the Lucerne is much quieter inside than the Impala, but the engine itself is probably louder than the 3.8.

Also, the new axle ratio for the Lucerne is the 2.93 and 3.71. If the 3.71 is for the 3.9, the engine will be running close to 2000 RPMs at 60 mph. That's going to drink fuel fast unless it spends an awful lot of time in cylinder deactivation mode.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
The 3.9 I had in a 2006 Impala 3LT rental was actually noticeably louder than the 3.4 I had in my 2001 Impala.

I'm sure the Lucerne is much quieter inside than the Impala, but the engine itself is probably louder than the 3.8.

Also, the new axle ratio for the Lucerne is the 2.93 and 3.71. If the 3.71 is for the 3.9, the engine will be running close to 2000 RPMs at 60 mph. That's going to drink fuel fast unless it spends an awful lot of time in cylinder deactivation mode.
The V8 would almost be a better choice if you were buying the Lucerne.......either that or just pray they run out of 3.9's soon....

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts

I'm sure it's for the Super/Northstar.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
The V8 would almost be a better choice if you were buying the Lucerne.......either that or just pray they run out of 3.9's soon....
Well, as far as I can tell the cheapest trim combination that gets you the V8 is $6,000 more than the base trim Lucerne. If you didn't care about anything else available as an upgrade, that $6,000 is a lot to spend to move up to a relatively low end V8.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I see the Saturn Outlook and Chevy Traverse getting 20" wheels as a factory option but no such option for the Enclave or Acadia. I think the Enclave could use bigger wheels since even the 19s only adequately fill out the wheel wells. Perhaps the order guide will reflect those changes at a later date. Perhaps they won't happen at all.

Behind that, some things just bug me. Why can't I get a cashmere interior in a Ming Blue (dark blue) Enclave? Every other GM product with a dark blue exterior has a beige or cashmere interior available. My wife wants that exact combination on the Enclave but it is inexplicably unavailable :confused:

Also, I have no need for a V8 LaCrosse or Lucerne, but those models (both Supers) are the models that are most visually appealing. I wish they would offer an appearance pkg for both cars that gave you at least some of the look of the Super without jumping all the way up to the big motor.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Also, I have no need for a V8 LaCrosse or Lucerne, but those models (both Supers) are the models that are most visually appealing. I wish they would offer an appearance pkg for both cars that gave you at least some of the look of the Super without jumping all the way up to the big motor.
I second that opinion. Why can't we get the better looks with the lower engine?

I am also disappointed to hear of the 3.9/4 instead of the 3.6/6 combo. I would probably pick the Lucerne over the Impala if it had the 3.6. However, many will choose what I will probably choose, the Impala with the 3.9 instead, just because of price vs. size.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You know, I'm pretty dissappointed that their are still quite a few 2009 GM vehicles that STILL use ridiculously outdated 4-speed automatics. Honestly I was expecting pretty much every GM model to have the new 6-speed autos standard for 2009 with maybe the exception of the base model entry level Cobalt/G5/Astra, and even those models should AT LEAST have the 6-spd auto as an OPTION by 2009, and sadly they don't.

It's very disheartening to see that GM still doesn't understand that any car that is priced above 20k and that still uses an outdated/archaic 4-speed auto is UNACCEPTABLE for the 2009 model year, plain and simple, and they have shown this by continuing to saddle higher end luxury models such as the Buick Lucerne and Lacrosse with outdated 4-spd autos. At the very least the 6-spd auto should of been made an option on the 2009 Lucerne and Lacrosse, and unfortunately it isn't. This is absolutely unacceptable for the 2009 model year.

Think about this, the Honda Civic doesn't even use a 4-spd auto anymore and yet most Buick models which are approximately DOUBLE the price of the Honda Civic still have 4spd autos STANDARD for the 2009 model year. Am I the only person who sees a serious problem with that?? :confused:

And what's up with the DELETION of the 3.6HF from the Lacrosse and the addition of the 3900 in the Lucerne? And why is the Lacrosse still using the ridiculously outdated 3800? Both the Lacrosse and the Lucerne should of had the 3.6HF/6-spd combo as their STANDARD V6 powertrain, no exceptions. Buick is suppose to be affordable luxury people, and affordable luxury shouldn't be saddled with outdated and unrefined pushrod V6/4-spd auto powertrains for 2009. If GM can't figure this stuff out on their own then they really still don't get it. :yup:

Although I was very glad to see that the 6-spd auto was FINALLY made standard in the Aura for 2009 and they also got rid of the 3500 which was another good move, why is it that the 2009 Malibu and G6 still have the 4spd auto as the standard base-model transmission and the 6-spd auto is only an option on the base models? GM told Edmunds that the 6-spd auto was going to be made STANDARD on all Malibu models for 2009, and unfortunately this didn't happen.

The point I'm trying to make here is that we are now talking about the 2009 model year, and GM has had several years to get production ramped up to an acceptable level, yet their are still quite a few GM models that will still be saddled with 4-spd autos for the 2009 model year, and on many of these models the 6-spd auto wasn't even made available as an OPTION. GM must understand that this is completely unacceptable for 2009, especially when much cheaper sub-compact/compact import models now have 5 and 6-speed autos/CVTs made STANDARD.

And GM can no longer use the excuse that they don't have the production of the 6spd auto units high enough to be able to use them in most of their vehicles, because they have had the last few years to ramp up production. Every GM make and model with the exception of their cheapest bare-bones subcompact/compact models should of had the 6-spd auto made STANDARD for the 2009 model year. If reviewers and critics were complaining about GM's use of 4-spd autos for the 2007/2008 model years just imagine how bad they are going to bash GM for the 2009 model year. :yup:

Sorry GM but their's really no more valid excuses left now that we are approaching the year 2009, and if the addition of the 6-speed auto units to all new 2009 models isn't a #1 priority then GM has once again shown they really still don't get it. :yup:

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
crazyjkz,

I agree with your points. But I have a guess why this is happening: GM is cleaning out old stock.

The 3800s and 3.9s and 3.5s and 4 speed autos are probably already built. And remember, the 3.6 that was in the LaCrosse was an unusual tune of the engine - 240 horsepower mated to a 4 speed auto, instead of the 6 speed/252 in the G6 GTP, Aura V6, and Malibu V6.

I'm betting they are limiting options because they plan on assembling the last bit of parts for the current Impala, LaCrosse, and Lucerne with this stuff just to get rid of it. Then those engines and transmissions will be finished.

I don't like it, but I can see why things went this way.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
These powertrain shuffles appear to be more like a last hurrah of the old GM, rather than an indicator of things to come.

GM just needs to get its product line synced up between brands. Right now we have a Malibu from Chevrolet, and a Lacrosse from Buick. The Malibu is the superior car in every way. Yet the Lacrosse costs more and is sold under a premium brand?

I am a firm believer that GM's brand structure is capable of making the company the unstoppable #1 producer of automobiles in the world, in both quantity, quality, and public regard. However, this only works if the structure is well-planned and well-managed.

The Enclave proves to me that General Motors knows how to build a vehicle worthy of the Buick name. The Lacrosse and Lucerne were enormous steps forward for their time, and now is the time when we take another big step forward.

My grandparents proudly drove Buicks in the 1960's, back when the Riviera was envisioned as an American combination of Ferrari and Rolls Royce. I will happily drive a modern Buick with half the style and passion that car radiated when it drove down the street.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Crazyjkz, I agree, this is flatout unacceptable for 2009 to still have 4 speed automatics. How can the Lucerne and the Lacrosse still have 4 speeds in addition to the Impala, the DTS, Cobalt etc still use this antiquated architecture. If the W and G Body cant fit the 6 speeds then these platforms should not be used, period !!!!! I am so sick of this crap, get rid of these dated models if you are not going to give them the proper updates.

Come on GM !!!!!
Come on GM !!!!!
Come on GM !!!!!
Come on GM !!!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts