GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The facelifted Excelle, which by-the-way is based on the Chevrolet / Daewoo Lacetti, also features a redesigned interior. Buick’s new Chinese subcompact sedan will make its public debut later this month at the 2008 Beijing Auto Show.
Full article at CarScoop.

(Click images to enlarge.)

(I know there are already a few threads on this, but this is the first with the official exterior and at least one new interior shot.)

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Well it's certainly a lot nicer than the Aveo.
Yes, but don't forget, this isn't based on the Aveo. It's the larger Lacetti / Optra / Nubira platform. I think it looks very nice... the current one is already popular, so this new one should do very well. It's fun to say 'Bah, that isn't a Buick', but if it's what China wants, so be it! This one car could very well outsell the Lacrosse and Lucerne this year, if current trends keep up.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
It looks old for a 2009 model. It's not aweful looking....

China can keep this one. It will need it if Buick is to be a premium full line car maker. They'll probably get a lot of Chevy and GMDAT models to beef up the line as demand grows. I'm sure the Saturn Vue will make it over to China as a Buick before too long.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Yes, but don't forget, this isn't based on the Aveo. It's the larger Lacetti / Optra / Nubira platform. I think it looks very nice... the current one is already popular, so this new one should do very well. It's fun to say 'Bah, that isn't a Buick', but if it's what China wants, so be it! This one car could very well outsell the Lacrosse and Lucerne this year, if current trends keep up.
Agreed on all of it. I think that "what's a real buick" or even "what's a real chevy" will have to be changed in the years ahead as more and more product lines are changed. This is a convincing product - it may be Lacetti/Optra/Nubira/Forenza based, but looks nothing like the base product.

I applaud GM's effort here.

Additionally, seeing such a huge refresh for this car makes me wonder if we aren't going to see a next-generation version of the Excelle make it to the market until later than 2010/2011. This seems like a really nice refresh and it was my understanding that DeltaII would debut in 2010 and replace most of the other Delta/C-segment products.

Perhaps it will be rolled out in China later than Europe and the US?

Whatever it will be, I hope that GM brings the next generation Excelle to the US. I know we read Skylark comments before and it seemed in doubt, but this is a really nice looking compact vehicle that is stylish and upscale. I think Buick could get away with selling it here.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
845 Posts
Agreed on all of it. I think that "what's a real buick" or even "what's a real chevy" will have to be changed in the years ahead as more and more product lines are changed. This is a convincing product - it may be Lacetti/Optra/Nubira/Forenza based, but looks nothing like the base product.

I applaud GM's effort here.

Additionally, seeing such a huge refresh for this car makes me wonder if we aren't going to see a next-generation version of the Excelle make it to the market until later than 2010/2011. This seems like a really nice refresh and it was my understanding that DeltaII would debut in 2010 and replace most of the other Delta/C-segment products.

Perhaps it will be rolled out in China later than Europe and the US?

Whatever it will be, I hope that GM brings the next generation Excelle to the US. I know we read Skylark comments before and it seemed in doubt, but this is a really nice looking compact vehicle that is stylish and upscale. I think Buick could get away with selling it here.

Just my two cents...
I have to agree. If GM were to bring this, or the next generation of this compact here, and call it a Skylark, it could really be the start of a new segment.

Just think, with the direction gas prices are going in, a luxury compact segment makes a lot of sense. And for what GM is trying to do with their image, transforming into a technology leader in increasing fuel economy, leading this segment with a Buick would be huge.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Hmmm... I still think they'd be better off with an Epica. The Excelle is quite a step down from the Lacrosse in size... would it not make more sense to test the waters with an Epica-sized vehicle before going even smaller?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I like this car a real lot...They should give it a new high tech engine and new 6sp tranny and sell it here...make sure it has bluetooth and sat nav and onstar and all that...today not tomorrow...TODAY GM!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
This is about as Buick as the BLS is Cadillac.
Its amazing out a Sub Compact (Aveo) in China gets LEDs and Projection head lights but only Cadillacs, Aura, and Astra get anything like that here.
Not a big deal, but this isn't an Aveo... it's the larger Lacetti. It's very close in size to the Cobalt... the Aveo is significantly smaller.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
i like the interior, it's surprising that this is a subcompact. amazing that China gets this type of product and we get Cobalts.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
For me it isn't even about whether or not we like this interior... it's the fact that the Chinese market compact gets an upgrade while the US market compact doesn't. Wasn't a Cobalt update due this past year, but they canned it? Here it is folks... just have to go to China to see it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts