(NW9) traction control
(MN5) 4-speed automatic transmission
Exterior color (15U) Golden Cashmere
Exterior color (40U) Cream White
Exterior color (53U) Bronzed Pewter
Exterior color (67U) Silver Pearl
(19B) Black cloth

New Features

(QGG) P215/55R17 touring, blackwall tires are standard on all models but XR V6 Sedan
Exterior paint color (17U) Quick Silver
Exterior paint color (50U) Polar White
Exterior paint color (51U) Gold Mist
Exterior paint color (92U) Silver Moss
(UPF) Bluetooth for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system is included and only available with (PCM) Preferred Package on XE Sedan and standard on XR Sedans

Changes

ZZV69 is now the XR 4-cylinder model
ZZX69 is the XR V6 model

Aura Greenline:
Deletions
(QPE) P215/60R16 touring, blackwall tires
(QD1) 16" 5-spoke machined alloy wheels
Exterior color (15U) Golden Cashmere
Exterior color (40U) Cream White
Exterior color (53U) Bronzed Pewter
Exterior color (67U) Silver Pearl

New Features

Exterior paint color (17U) Quick Silver
Exterior paint color (50U) Polar White
Exterior paint color (51U) Gold Mist
Exterior paint color (92U) Silver Moss
(UPF) Bluetooth for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system is included and only available with (PCM) Preferred Package
(QGG) P215/55R17 touring, blackwall tires
(PFG) Wheels 17" (43.2 cm) twin-spoke machined alloy

As talked about before, no more 3.5L and now the 2.4L is standard in both XE and XR trims--and gets the 6-speed on ALL, unlike the Malibu which still uses the 4-speed on some trims. Also, Bluetooth on everything.

Pretty good, especially the XR-4 which a lot of people have been wishing for, and though some may carp about the 3.5L going away...everyone who drives a 2.4L Aura seems to love it, and it will only help with CAFE, etc.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's definitely great to see that GM finally dropped the 4-speed auto entirely from the Aura lineup for 2009, and I also think it was a smart move to drop the 3500 as well. The 2.4 Ecotec/6-spd auto combo will get better mileage with most likely equal or better performance than the 3500, and with the new NVH refinements GM made to the 2.4 Ecotec it will probably be smoother and quieter than the 3500 as well. :yup:

And although you could argue that a 3500/6-spd auto combo would of been better performing than the 2.4/6-spd auto combo, you have to remember that the Aura and Saturn as a whole is suppose to be GM's import fighter, and most import-buyers are NOT looking for a pushrod motor under their hood. And even though many consumers don't really know the difference between OHV and OHC, thanks to the media many consumers will be immediately turned off to any "import-alternative" vehicle that is equipped with an OHV motor, plain and simple. The truth is that most import buyers think "anemic, unrefined, and outdated" when they think of pushrod, regardless of the relative advantage the 3500 holds over the 2.4 Ecotec in performance.

Also with gas prices predicted to reach $4-$5 a gallon in many parts of the U.S., it isn't really surprising that GM would do away with the 3500 and make the 2.4 Ecotec/6spd auto their complete base model powertrain. :yup:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's definitely great to see that GM finally dropped the 4-speed auto entirely from the Aura lineup for 2009, and I also think it was a smart move to drop the 3500 as well. The 2.4 Ecotec/6-spd auto combo will get better mileage with most likely equal or better performance than the 3500, and with the new NVH refinements GM made to the 2.4 Ecotec it will probably be smoother and quieter than the 3500 as well. :yup:

And although you could argue that a 3500/6-spd auto combo would of been better performing than the 2.4/6-spd auto combo, you have to remember that the Aura and Saturn as a whole is suppose to be GM's import fighter, and most import-buyers are NOT looking for a pushrod motor under their hood. And even though many consumers don't really know the difference between OHV and OHC, thanks to the media many consumers will be immediately turned off to any "import-alternative" vehicle that is equipped with an OHV motor, plain and simple. The truth is that most import buyers think "anemic, unrefined, and outdated" when they think of pushrod, regardless of the relative advantage the 3500 holds over the 2.4 Ecotec in performance.

Also with gas prices predicted to reach $4-$5 a gallon in many parts of the U.S., it isn't really surprising that GM would do away with the 3500 and make the 2.4 Ecotec/6spd auto their complete base model powertrain. :yup:
You took the words out of my mouth, exactly;)

As we currently own an '08 Malibu 2.4L with the 4-speed, and are pleased to pieces, I'm still anxious to see what the 6-speed does with it (not holding onto the spaced out gears so long will be a help), and am waiting on the first of the late '08 LTZ-4 Malibus to show up to take a drive.

Not a whole lot changed with the Aura, but the main issues were models and packaging...and they've properly fixed that.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I loved the XR 4-cyl idea but there are some features from the V6 XR that won't be available at any price: no fog lights, no auto climate control, and a downgrade to 17" wheels (like the 4-cyl Malibu LTZ). Why? I'd like a 4-cyl Aura XR or Malibu LTZ loaded just like their V6 siblings. GM can't fully understand that "premium" and "4-cylinder" can be synonymous.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Cool. Bluetooth AND the 2.4 I4 + 6spd combo. I'm curious to see what the mpg figures of this drivetrain will be.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You took the words out of my mouth, exactly;)

As we currently own an '08 Malibu 2.4L with the 4-speed, and are pleased to pieces, I'm still anxious to see what the 6-speed does with it (not holding onto the spaced out gears so long will be a help), and am waiting on the first of the late '08 LTZ-4 Malibus to show up to take a drive.

Not a whole lot changed with the Aura, but the main issues were models and packaging...and they've properly fixed that.
If gas prices really do jump up to the $4-$5 per gallon price range this summer as many economists have predicted I'm seriously considering trading in my 3500VVT-equipped 2007 Aura XE for a 2009 Aura with the 2.4 Ecotec/6-spd auto combo. I'm very curious to see what the mpg and performance figures will be with the 2.4/6spd auto powertrain, but logically one would have to assume that they will be improved over the current 2.4/4spd auto combo. :yup:

The bottom line is that what GM did with the Aura's powertrain options for 2009 shows that they are finally truly understanding what the consumer majority desires when they are looking for an alternative to an Altima or Camcord. Doing away with the 4spd auto and the 3500 pushrod completely and having the 2.4/6spd auto as the base powertrain and leaving the 3.6/6spd auto as the sole V6 powertrain for the higher-end models was a very smart move by GM and this will do wonders in continuing to improve their brand images, reducing criticism from the media, and improving customer satisfaction.

The next step GM needs to take with the Aura's powertrains for next year is to make the 3.6 DI standard on the XR with around 280-300hp and conjure up a DI-version of the 2.4L Ecotec with around 190-200hp. GM is going to have to do this for the 2010 model year with ALL of their Epsilon cars if they are serious about competing with fwd midsize sedan competition in the years to come. Making the 6-speed auto standard across the board was a great move, but GM simply cannot stop there if they are serious about competing with the imports, plain and simple. :yup:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
09 is gonna be a good year.

·
Banned
37 Posts
I loved the XR 4-cyl idea but there are some features from the V6 XR that won't be available at any price: no fog lights, no auto climate control, and a downgrade to 17" wheels (like the 4-cyl Malibu LTZ). Why? I'd like a 4-cyl Aura XR or Malibu LTZ loaded just like their V6 siblings. GM can't fully understand that "premium" and "4-cylinder" can be synonymous.
If that is true its very sad. thats what makes the XR different from the XE. fog lights, auto climate and the wheels! What are the other differences?

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
Probably has nothing to do with what they think, but rather getting suppliers to make additional variations in wiring harnesses as well as setting up the assembly line to make these additional variants.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
It is the same on the G6, added a sport package for the 2.4L with the 6-speed but no Fog Lights and you still need to order leather for a 6-way power seat.

Why?

Who knows, Ford offers these features on the Fusion, no clue why GM can't do the same - guess you will just have to pay $2,000 for a $105 set of Fog Lights.

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
Just my opinion ...If I had the choice between the 3.5 v6 or the 4 cylinder ...at the same price? I can't imagine someone choosing the four cylinder.

I only mention this because I'm surprised GM cancelled the 3.5 V6

252 hp V6 with six speed automatic would be the best choice. (again...just my opinion)

The 260hp turbo four would be a cool setup too.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Just my opinion ...If I had the choice between the 3.5 v6 or the 4 cylinder ...at the same price? I can't imagine someone choosing the four cylinder.

I only mention this because I'm surprised GM cancelled the 3.5 V6

252 hp V6 with six speed automatic would be the best choice. (again...just my opinion)
When the 4 cylinder launched people stopped buying the XE V6. So I am not surprised. The 3.5 even with the 6-speed is nothing special as evident in the VUE XE AWD.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.