GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flipping through my December issue of Automobile magazine that came in the mail today, I saw a Pontiac insert in the middle that said "posters".

Looking at the pics, specs, etc., boom, there was the revised 2009 G6 from the front stating "benefits from a slew of 2009 improvements".

Outside, the new nose with more detailing and new shapes and also the--finally--painted mirror caps. And then below the 2009 convertible exterior is the revised dash, with the current gen GM head unit, new auto climate control from the Aura & Malibu as well as their steering wheel controls, as well as the new gauge cluster with revised numbering and the now moved DIC.

Having just come from an '08 G6, I really like the new nose and the much improved center stack, even though it's minor, thanks to the new controls. I just wondered if they made any other revisions aside from the fascia & center stack, like some Aura-Malibu suspension revisions or quieting. Don't think so, but oh well.

A cheap update for a car that still sells well enough, and gets it a little more current in basic GM ways. And things like the new 2.4L/6-speed 33mpg coupe should help with a few more sales, as a great new combo.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The G6 is even older than the Fusion and this is all they could put together? Do they want to sell it only to daily rental agencies? This is change for the sake of change, there is nothing recognizably new.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I like the new front end...a lot better than the buck tooth look of whatever that special package was. I'll have to judge the interior when I can see it in person.

·
Registered
44,427 Posts
No changes to the interior. Not so significant.
Exterior is a nice evolution.

It's a G6. Pontiac lost the opportunity to make a significant impact with it in 2005. And this will unfortunately continue the trend.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
In defense of the G6, if GM did this kind of thing for more models, like the Cobalt and the Impala, for example, instead of making us wait only 2 years instead of 3 for a full redesign, I think GM could save quite a bit of money on product development and still keep us satisfied overall.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
In defense of the G6, if GM did this kind of thing for more models, like the Cobalt and the Impala, for example, instead of making us wait only 2 years instead of 3 for a full redesign, I think GM could save quite a bit of money on product development and still keep us satisfied overall.
All I wanted from the Cobalt was a more comfortable seat and a telescoping steering wheel. A new front end would have been nice.
Instead we get bubkis

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
They definitely missed a chance to pump up the G6 a little. Ford saw a chance with the Fusion, but it did not have to be as drastic as the Malibu. But a touch up to the dash to make the center stack not look so tacked on. Oh and dropping the High Value family of engines with its 4 speed auto would help the sporting image.
I see a lot of potential in Pontiac, but there is so much working against the brand.
On a side note I did not see Pontiac is Car anywhere in this ad.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Since I've been b!tching up and down on GMI about Pontiac not updating the center stack, I have to give them credit where credit is due for putting the corporate stereo and HVAC in there. It's long overdue. Too bad they're still housed in the boxy plastic console though.

The coolest bit are the gauges which now have white lettering when illuminated and a dark red halo around the perimeter. That's the first application like this I've seen on a Pontiac. The underside of the dash appears white in this image, though it could be just lighting. I wonder if there will be a 2-tone white and black interior package? Edit: I also noticed the upper image has 2-tone seats with a light tan center section and darker gray or black bolsters, trim, and dash.

The grills are okay, but that lower fascia is too busy, too many holes in the front bumper. I liked the old 2 sided slot below better. The deeper grills do have some connection to the G8, so that's good I suppose.

Overall, this should allow the G6 to soldier on a few more years, but Pontiac really deserves better--and not the Aveo kind of better either. At any rate, I won't be buying any non-RWD Pontiacs ever, so what I think matters little. Bring Alpha.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
G6 is the core of their brand and volume, why they haven't invested more into the product is inexcusable. They can bring over the G8 ST but can't give the G6 proper care. This is a crummy vehicle and they haven't fixed it at all.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Well finally this is all G6 car really needed. The center stack on the dash looked very dated, otherwise a very nice looking dash. The materials are soft to the touch while the chrome rings and gearshifter make the interior look upscale. The new nose looks alot softer and its a nice refresh overall.

I would think the suspension and handling would be improved too so it would drive like the Malibu and Aura. I will go to the dealer and check it out. I only wish GM would make the necessary changes to allow for a Nav screen on these Epsilon I models.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
...pathetic

·
Registered
505 Posts
Gives it more of an Opel flair like the astra...but on the up side of things, its a nice change and one that just put either the coupe or the vert on my list of a new "more economical" drives. Now they really want something good, throw some glass roofs like mustang has in the G6 line, that would be nice coupe or vert with a glass top would be HOTT

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To go with one previous comment, quite a lot of revisions have been made, including a new interior color.

The all Ebony and Light Taupe/Ebony remain, but a new option is Titanium/Ebony, on top of the other options/standards juggling. Weird this didn't all happen from the start of 2009's and there will now be some old and some new from the same model year, but oh well.

They just published the latest updates to the online ordering guide PDF today, which can be seen here:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/do...regionID=1&divisionID=7&vehicleID=6863&type=0

Also oddly, the 3.9L/4-speed remains as a convertible-only upgrade from the 3.5L, as it continues on again without the 3.6L choice limited to coupe and convertible GXP's. Oh, and yes, the buck-toothed, big winged GXP look remains.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Yawn exterior is slightly better but the interior (which needed an update the most) escapes unchanged for the most part

1 - 20 of 126 Posts