GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
What I found interesting is how quickly the engine rpm gets up to speed when it is running only on battery power. Incidentally, all the hybrid engine components are covered by warranty for eight years or 100,000 miles.
I thought this was a mild hybrid that never ran "only on battery power"

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
While it is great to see a gleaming article about a GM vehicle, I have to really wonder if Mr. Keane actually drove the SUV off of the lot.

It felt "like a sports car" when he hit the pedal? HUH? Has he ever driven a sports car?

And then all of his descriptions felt like a rehash of an itemized list off of the Saturn's window sticker.

I'm with Sgt. Beavis, I think Tom got his facts confused with the TWO MODE coming out later this year.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
GM needs to be much more clear on which hybrid is two mode or not.

They need to stop calling the BAS system a hybrid, because I am starting to think that they are all BAS systems....and I think a lot of the greenies are going to think that too.

The writer for this review appears to have driven the car on a short test drive, then taken the Saturn literature back to his desk for stats.

It is not a full hybrid, and it is not the best hybrid system from GM. I think GM and Saturn need to be clear on that when people are shopping for these cars, as when they take it home and it only gets 25 mpg and can't actually accelerate under electric power.

That being said, for a BAS system, this does get great mileage.....or maybe the V6 engine just gets crappy mileage.
The Two mode Vue (due out soon), if I am not mistaken, will get 26/33 with the V6 engine, so you will have that great acceleration when you need it and the fuel economy when you don't. Hopefully it can be driven up to 30mpg in full electric mode (and all electric in stop and go city driving can reduce noise as well as fuel consumption).

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
When are we getting the two mode? Will the plugin be after that? Same time? Same thing?

What about an Outlook hybrid, two mode, plug in with the DI v6?

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Perhaps this is a prototype of the new FWD version of the 2-Mode? There is a statement that the transmission is a 4 speed, and I know this is the case with the 2-modes on the big SUV's (currently being ignored by buyers).

member12 is right. This should be clarified. Sgt Beavis makes a good point.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was hoping that this was something about the Two Mode just from reading the first couple lines and then I checked the engine and realized it was the BAS. I got excited about the Two Mode at first. Any body know when the two mode is going to be coming out or any details released?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Boy, this reviewer is clueless. He says is weighs less than 3,500 pounds, but the curb weight is listed at 3,825 at the bottom.

He makes no mention of what hybird system was involved, but it sounds like the two-mode since he mentions it drives on electric only, which the BAS cannot do.

He raves about OnStar, which is nice, but there's nothing new here compared to what has been out for years from GM. You get the impression this is his first review, ever.

Nice to see a good review, but you have the wonder about the value of it from such an inept writer.

Mark

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
While it is great to see a gleaming article about a GM vehicle, I have to really wonder if Mr. Keane actually drove the SUV off of the lot.

It felt "like a sports car" when he hit the pedal? HUH? Has he ever driven a sports car?

And then all of his descriptions felt like a rehash of an itemized list off of the Saturn's window sticker.
Was this a real journalist? The writing was terrible.

Also, he says the vehicle weighs under 3500 lbs in the article and the lists the curb weight at 3800 lbs when listing the specs. Makes you wonder about the accuracy.

Even if it is crap, at least it was a positive review. Go Saturn.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
That was one of the most poorly-written reviews I've ever read. It was total fluff with no substance, and it sounded like a sales brochure (as others have said). It was definitely written by someone who a) does not understand cars, and b) drives something slow and crappy, so he's overwhelmed by the "sports car" performance of a nearly 4,000 pound SUV powered by a four cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
That was one of the most poorly-written reviews I've ever read. It was total fluff with no substance, and it sounded like a sales brochure (as others have said). It was definitely written by someone who a) does not understand cars, and b) drives something slow and crappy, so he's overwhelmed by the "sports car" performance of a nearly 4,000 pound SUV powered by a four cylinder.
Agreed..Looks like it was written by a 6th-grader.

·
Registered
269 Posts
GM needs to be much more clear on which hybrid is two mode or not.

They need to stop calling the BAS system a hybrid, because I am starting to think that they are all BAS systems....and I think a lot of the greenies are going to think that too.

The writer for this review appears to have driven the car on a short test drive, then taken the Saturn literature back to his desk for stats.

It is not a full hybrid, and it is not the best hybrid system from GM. I think GM and Saturn need to be clear on that when people are shopping for these cars, as when they take it home and it only gets 25 mpg and can't actually accelerate under electric power.

That being said, for a BAS system, this does get great mileage.....or maybe the V6 engine just gets crappy mileage.
The Two mode Vue (due out soon), if I am not mistaken, will get 26/33 with the V6 engine, so you will have that great acceleration when you need it and the fuel economy when you don't. Hopefully it can be driven up to 30mpg in full electric mode (and all electric in stop and go city driving can reduce noise as well as fuel consumption).
BAS is a hybrid system. Calling it otherwise is a disservice to GM. It may not be your favourite hybrid, but it has lot going for it, and is worthy of consideration precisely because it is a simple, effective, cost effective solution. Your looking at base power train configuration of the future.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
It's 25MPG city/32MPG highway rating is quite impressive for BAS. I wish they offered the same system on the Equinox and Torrent.

·
Registered
862 Posts
What about an Outlook hybrid, two mode, plug in with the DI v6?
Outlook is on the Lambda platform which was not engineered for the two mode hybrid system. You won't see a two mode on the Lambda vehicles until the next generation in 2012/2013.

·
Registered
722 Posts
(From the article..............This technology doesn't cost an arm-and-leg; the total price of my tester was $24,795, and it came with a load of desirable features.)

Where does this guy get that price from?
The Vue Green Line starts at $26,000
Am I missing something?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
It's 25MPG city/32MPG highway rating is quite impressive for BAS. I wish they offered the same system on the Equinox and Torrent.
Or the Aura GL which is ~1000lbs lighter and gets the same mileage

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
(From the article..............This technology doesn't cost an arm-and-leg; the total price of my tester was $24,795, and it came with a load of desirable features.)

Where does this guy get that price from?
The Vue Green Line starts at $26,000
Am I missing something?
The base price WAS $24,795 until it actually hit dealers. In fact, KBB still has $24,795 listed as the base MSRP.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts