GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 Malibu 2LT w/silvertone paint. In September, I noticed that the paint was cracking on the bumper near the wheel wells on the L and R sides where bumper attaches to the fenders.

GM paid a very reputable body shop in my area to fix the issue. Several days later I noticed the problem coming back. What makes me think that this is a design or manufacturing issue is that I saw the exact same problem on another 2008 Malibu 2LT w/silvertone paint in a parking lot yesterday.

Has anyone heard of this problem? I am concerned that there may be a vibration issue between the fender and bumper that caused the problem the first time and still exists. I have gone past the dealer directly to Chevy but haven't heard anything back yet.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Re: 2008 Malibu bumper pain problems

is it possible that someone hit you gently causing stress at the point of cracking, and did not tell you?

·
Registered
6,363 Posts

But to answer your question, no I have not heard of such a problem. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The reason I was asking if you were the original owner is that many rental car companies repair their auction turn ins poorly and GM is never notified. Then you get the car and have problems with their shoddy work.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

I believe a similar problem was reported by one of the members over on the Chevrolet Malibu Forums. And the discussion was about whether the area where the bumper cover meets the fender was causing the paint to rub together on the two surfaces because of the flimsy mounting of the bumper cover on either side. Nobody anywhere has replied back that GM 'know (or cares) that this is a problem' though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.