GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2008/04/06/new-toyota-tundra-problem-bumper-and-lug-nut-rust/

In what may be old news for some people, there is growing evidence that Toyota Tundra bumpers may be rusting much faster than they should be. While exact numbers are hard to guess, it’s safe to say this problem affects a very small percentage of Tundra owners. Based on our correspondence and the handful of forum threads we could find, this problem is mostly confined to areas of the country where rust is already an issue.

Here are some pictures of the typical types of rust being described - the first was sent to us, but the rest were found searching TundraTalk.net and TundraSolutions.com. It’s fairly minor rust, but totally unacceptable for such a new vehicle.

More at the link.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
That is clearly mud in those pictures.
Pay no attention folks.

Edit: I just feel so absolutely indignant at these people that try to discredit such a worthy truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
such a worthy truck? bring them to the alberta oilpatch and they dont stand a chance, they fall apart on our roads-they're just not built tough enough. or actually try to pull a trailor with them-you'll be scared s**tless, ya a worthy truck

·
Registered
669 Posts
such a worthy truck? bring them to the alberta oilpatch and they dont stand a chance, they fall apart on our roads-they're just not built tough enough. or actually try to pull a trailor with them-you'll be scared s**tless, ya a worthy truck
You are new here. Plane was being sarcastic. ;)

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Tundra owners have rusty nuts...literally. :lmao:

My 2004 Silverado is totally rust free and they salt the roads like crazy here. :yup: That and I literally live on top of a salt mine. :eek:

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
And you've seen that many to determine this? They haven't been out that long, how many have you seen "fall apart"? :rolleyes:

That is awful quick to be rusting! I wonder what they're doing wrong? Sounds like we're talking about a early 80's Toyota all over again!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
To play devil's advocate here...

We had to replace a 900 series rear bumper half for corrosion...

I believe the plating was porous and no amount of cleaning would restore it...

It happens...
Way to kill a thread....

But, its true, it happens to all of them. I don't have any rust on the underbody of my truck but I did get some rusty pedals inside soon after buying my truck. Nothing a can couldn't take care of though.

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2008/04/06/new-toyota-tundra-problem-bumper-and-lug-nut-rust/

In what may be old news for some people, there is growing evidence that Toyota Tundra bumpers may be rusting much faster than they should be. While exact numbers are hard to guess, it’s safe to say this problem affects a very small percentage of Tundra owners. Based on our correspondence and the handful of forum threads we could find, this problem is mostly confined to areas of the country where rust is already an issue.
More evidence that the Tundra is a piece of crap.
This is probably yet another of those problems that affect a small number of vehicles but are quickly used to bash every tundra.

I bet in the coming weeks "rust problems" will be added to the list of tundra problems used by GMi members to put down the tundra. Research is not necessary, just as long as it's what you want to hear.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've heard of this happening on the Tacoma as well, it seems to just be the chrome rusting for some reason. Supposedly it just cleans off with a metal polish and waxing the chrome helps fight it off.

The only rust I have on my Tundra is on the trailer hitch......

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Obviously it can happen to anything. Our '07 Avy with 18,000 miles has corrosion on the wheels already. What am I gonna do about it?

Nothing...it happens.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Unfortunately, this could happen to any car or truck. While bashing the tundra is fun, we've got to keep that in mind.

But I never miss an opportunity to drop this...

:D

·
Registered
464 Posts
Waitasec...... Toyota trucks? RUSTING?

Never. :zippy:

Come on you guys. It's a standard feature on every Toyota truck built. Thats the one caveat of buying a 10-15 year old Tacoma/T-100.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
hmmmmm....you must be new here. welcome!

you will learn, plane = sarcasm. always.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
haha. im saving that one.

as for the article, add another one to the list. although, im sure alot trucks have these problems (although my truck hasnt, i have zero bumper and lug nut rust. i know this because i just put new tires and wheels on the truck- and i live in massachusetts during the winter months) for such a new truck that is supposed to be "changing it all" and whatnot, its unacceptable. its not living up to the hype, and thats what is so satisfying.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Waitasec...... Toyota trucks? RUSTING?

Never. :zippy:

Come on you guys. It's a standard feature on every Toyota truck built. Thats the one caveat of buying a 10-15 year old Tacoma/T-100.
In about 10-15 years I'm going to buy up every old used Tundra I can find cheap so that I can sell them back to Toyota at more than blue book value. :yup: Who needs an RRSP, or Pension when you have a plan like that? (I won't be anywhere near retirement in 10-15 years though, but maybe I can go early with such a cash cow).

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
In about 10-15 years I'm going to buy up every old used Tundra I can find cheap so that I can sell them back to Toyota at more than blue book value. :yup: Who needs an RRSP, or Pension when you have a plan like that? (I won't be anywhere near retirement in 10-15 years though, but maybe I can go early with such a cash cow).
It looks like an excellent way of making money to pay back student loans :D

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
I think I know how to pay for college now!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts