GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've about had it with these lint-convered seats. I think lint-collectors are not this good at their own game. I've had other GM products that didn't have this problem....so how did they regress? How did they forget how to make cloth seats? They are wearing down much worse than the old mouse fur seats. This truck was brand new in September.....so this kind of pathetic now.

I am going to buy seat covers for my truck...so what types do you guys think is the best. Does anyone have them on their truck?

http://www.autoanything.com/seat-covers/67A1484A0A0.aspx

I'm not completely familiar with the product above, but so far it looks like what I am looking for. What do you guys think? For the price it would take to cover the front and rear seats, I could have gotten leather (last time I get cloth in any GM product).

The price and ship date on the product above is pretty crappy, so I am up for good alternatives. I can tell by looking at the driver's front seat that it isn't going to last through the month....so I will have to take it in to get replaced.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I'm not happy with GM's choice of cloth seat material either. The seats in my sister's G6 get pet hair and lint embedded in them and it's near impossible to get it out, even with an air compressor and tape. I've heard the new material is also susceptible to stains, whereas GM interiors of the '90s came with Scotchguard.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You've got me concerned. I just bought an 08 Silverado last month and actually sought out a well-equipped cloth interior truck but I would prefer to not have leather. My 94 Suburn is approaching the million mile mark and only around the 800k mark did the cloth seats in that start showing wear. (They are now well worn anywhere my Wranglers rub.)

Make sure I have this right: The surface of your factory seat covers are wearing and depositing lint over the rest of the seat? Am I to assume they're rubbing on the bolster the most where you slide a bit getting in and out?

Andrew, on the G6, I had a Maxx that I loved, gray cloth. I found that I had use my home deep-cleaner on them a lot as even water would leave a "stained look" to them. Anyhow, the cleaner made all the difference in keeping them clean in the long run.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Make sure I have this right: The surface of your factory seat covers are wearing and depositing lint over the rest of the seat? Am I to assume they're rubbing on the bolster the most where you slide a bit getting in and out?
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/168746/tp/2/ -good thread about the issue. It doesn't do much good to bother the dealers now since they will either replace the seat covers with the same bad material or not do anything at all.

It's the LT2 with the cloth seats- the bolsters and seatbacks are the material that concerns me, and that is where the wear is showing like you said. The side closest to the door is showing a lot of wear, the side closest to the console seems to collect massive amounts of lint.
The same material also collects lint from just about everything (or nothing....if I go a week without using my rear seat it will be full of lint).
It takes at least two roller squares to clean it up after only a week of use.
I am pretty sure that most of the lint is from my cloths, but it does seem to be from the seats too. I also noticed a tear in the seat cover on the driver's side and I can't figure out how anything I could have done to it caused that. It's in an odd location at a bend in the front seat near the reclining controls but far below where anyone sitting in the seat could contact it.

Anyways...does anyone have any suggestions as far as aftermarket seat covers. I'd prefer the fitted kind, hopefully ones that match the interior color.

·
Registered
316 Posts
FYI, I just called a friend who has had covers on his truck and this is the company that he purchased from. He has been completely pleased with the quality and the service the company gave him.

http://www.camotruckseats.com

·
Registered
316 Posts
Addendum. I found another friend with seat covers and his were from http://www.rufftuff.com/ that he, too, is quite satisfied with.

Thanks to your heads-up, I'm going to get something, but deciding which will be tough. I'm leaning towards the Ruff Tuff in the two-tone SouthWest style.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts