GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Glad you all like it. It was fun to do. And every altered piece, other than the wheels, was done by hand. The G6 concept was a great donor and the silver color was suprisingly easy to work with. I really did want to try the suggestion of bringing the hood and front clip down a little causing the fenders to remain higher. I am still willing to try it, but it will take a lot longer to work out.

Do you think the lower front is ok or is it too boring?

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jul 9 2004, 04:28 PM
Not bad.

But the G6 is going to have a coupe next year.  So, I think they'd overlap.
lmao. You know it just occured to me that your winning Banshee design appears to be based largely on the G6 concept. I know the Banshee was a concept, but it does strike me as funny that you say my GTO concept would overlap the G6 coupe. :)

I hope my design has evolved enough to change your opinion about the potential conflict.

· Premium Member
9,965 Posts
The Banshee was a "fantasy" contest, not a production model which may or may not be my justification.

And the only thing I took from the G6/G6 Concept was the grille and foglights.

I don't like the roofline of your recent revisions.
I also think size wise it's too similar to the G6.

My Banshee shared no common dimensions.

Your work/skill is good, but the idea/design does nothing for me.

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I thought I saw some of the sheet metal carried over from the G6. My mistake.
I did lengthen this one to give it more V8 worthy dimensions. I just think the original G6 concept was such a great design that not much needed to be altered to make it work for what I wanted to accomplish.

· Premium Member
13,378 Posts
Nope, no thanks. I can accpet GM's choice on the present GTO's look, but if they take it further....Im not happy. It looks like a G6, and its bad enough you hear the Grand Am/GTO comparison already.

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I don't think the Grand Am/GTO comparison is such a bad thing. Hell, we almost could've had a GTO out of the latest Grand Am. It was thought that the SC/T was a vision of the new GTO. Personally, I would've loved it. Besides, when you think about the GTO lineage, it makes sense to bring up the Grand Am.
Tempest --> GTO
Tempest --> Grand Am

But I know what you're getting at. And no, I don't particularly like the 2004 GTO. However, you might see the problem here. The current car draws comparisons to the Grand Am due to its shape and size. Well if you go a little bigger then you end up with people comparing it to a Grand Prix. That is, of course, unless you make it such a wildly different design that it can't possibly look like anything in the current Pontiac line up. Ah! But then you start getting hordes of traditionalists that say it's awful and too futuristic, which in their eyes is ugly.

And I still think you are nuts if you think the production G6 looks like the concept model. The only, and I mean ONLY things they truly share are the headlamp and tail light designs. That's it. Few other things are more or less inspired by the concept, such as the general look of the lower front. When is the last time you saw them side-by-side? I spent the last week looking at them. I think the only reason my design is being faulted on the basis of it looking "too much like the G6" is only because Pontiac decided to carry the name over to the production model. If they had renamed the G6 to the Grand Am for production I don't think you would care that it was derived from a concept model.

By the way, would it help if I slapped scoops and a tachometer on the hood? Because I've done that to the existing GTO and people said it was unnecessary and too much "retro". So let me see if I have this straight.
  • You can't have it resemble a stable mate
  • It can't be too sedate, yet it can't be too wild
  • And it can't have anything retro in the styling.

· Registered
114 Posts
I like what you've done. The grill is good looking. The rear shoulder and rear window give it a bold, edgy look. I like the new spoiler better than any of you're previous ones too. I would still like to see a design with raised fenders. I figured it would be difficult when I suggested it. If you have any work with that, go ahead and post it even if it isn't great, I have an imagination.

· Premium Member
13,378 Posts
They can make a GTO coupe without going retro, or make it look too dull. I have no problem with the pontiac grill as that is a given, but outside of that, it shouldnt look too much like the G6.
Take the present GTO. Arch the rear fenders more and give it more of a "coke bottle" look to it. Smooth out the side of the car and make it more slab sided. There is 2 "groves" that run down the side which I dont find all too plesant.
Come to a more agressive nose with sharper grills and more of a jewled headlight. Have the greenhouse more tear drop in shape. Fender flares are a must to give it an agressive stance. Larger rims and brakes will add to the looks. GM has the performance side down pat, but making the next GTO more agressive without going retro is GM's goal.

Rex's concept was a good example of giving an agressive design without going too retro, or making it look like blah.

· Registered
114 Posts
YES!!! That is the look I was talking about. I am not sure if I like the headlights. But they will probably look great once you add detail. I will reserve judgement on them until then.

By, "I'll tackle the tail next," do you mean redo the tail, because I have no problem with it, or do you mean do a rear-quarter view? Just curious.

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I started thinking the rear end needed a little more work. Widen the fenders, maybe make the tail a bit llonger, make the fenders come up higher. Things to make it stand even more apart from the G6. Personally I like it, but I am willing to try out some new things.

· Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't think the GTO rep'ed in this thread is a good start 4 the 2007 model. Shows little imagination and once again just like the current GTO it's not aggresive enough. I glad that some of U guys who sit here and bad GM 4 what the put out don't work 4 GM because some of the thing that R put out there......YEEESH :flush:

· Registered
3,828 Posts
Originally posted by CyberianHusky@Jul 14 2004, 03:28 AM
So let me see if I have this straight.
  • You can't have it resemble a stable mate
  • It can't be too sedate, yet it can't be too wild
  • And it can't have anything retro in the styling.
Oh yeah, don't forget, it has to look like a Pontiac, without actually looking like a Pontiac.

It's as simple as that. :D

Aren't you glad you don't do this for a living?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.