GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the fuel filter on the 2006 Impala 3.5 replaceable?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
SO WHAT DO WE DO TO DO AS SERVICE? caps
is the line pressure is to much to even think about putting one inline.
I know cars are getting less servicable but this does not sound good.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
so there is no changable filter? Only change the pump thingy?
Thanks

I'm afraid so...

I don't necessarily agree with all that...

one; as a parts manager...that means lost potential business

two; I know how fuels can become contaminated with sediment, especially with ethanol in the mixture...so I for one would miss that "security blanket"...but I've yet to hear of any big issues arise because of it...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I'm afraid so...

I don't necessarily agree with all that...

one; as a parts manager...that means lost potential business

two; I know how fuels can become contaminated with sediment, especially with ethanol in the mixture...so I for one would miss that "security blanket"...but I've yet to hear of any big issues arise because of it...
no filter??? are you kidding me?! who made that decision!!! lets just clog our injectors....

·
Registered
881 Posts
As much sediment and contaminents come out of even an 03 truck's fuel filter after say 50,000 miles I think there needs to be fuel filters on all cars. I've never understood why they quit putting them on, I heard that the strainer on the sending unit is supposed to be adequate, but I don't see how.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
But GM states the in tank filter is self cleaning to a point. Tank too dirty, plugged filter.
tank filter schmank filter!

inline fuel filters please, I've gone through 3 since I've owned my truck for 4 years. Can't hurt to change them yearly. There's all kinds of sediment in gas! if it does get past the tank filter, there's no stopping it!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I completely agree that every car should a replaceable filter.But the quality of fuel is much better now.I mean fuel is about $3 bucks a gallon across the country.I would hope it is pretty clean etc.I guess the problem comes when you have older tanks etc..Another reason GM is eliminating fuel filters is purely environmental.They do not want raw gas fumes entering the air,and also old fuel filters in the garbage.Another thing to take away from us tech's.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
they are in tank.

servicable, but its part of the pump sock filter.

other manufacturers have been doing it for years, so its not too horrible an idea.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
they are in tank.

servicable, but its part of the pump sock filter.

other manufacturers have been doing it for years, so its not too horrible an idea.
I know I like the safety
looking forward once a year to drink beers & do some car care
On the sock filter, what do you call the older trucks that has the brass & bronze sock filter thing called. I don't think the cars of today will last the 300,000 miles like some of the earler cars.

Is the new malibu like this?
if so I am crying
I thinking of a old grand am gt 2 door, there is millions out there.

PLEASE TELL ME THAT THE GA GT HAS A FUEL FILTER?

I know the older cadillacs have a side tranny pans & non-greasing steering part in cars now & welded (not my 92 beretta). But for the love of cars let me do some car maintenance.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I completely agree that every car should a replaceable filter.But the quality of fuel is much better now.I mean fuel is about $3 bucks a gallon across the country.I would hope it is pretty clean etc.I guess the problem comes when you have older tanks etc..Another reason GM is eliminating fuel filters is purely environmental.They do not want raw gas fumes entering the air,and also old fuel filters in the garbage.Another thing to take away from us tech's.
Id hope that $3 /gal means its quality fuel too. But how do we know? They've been screwin us for awhile, I'm not going to trust what I can't see.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Well, as far as quality gas, only use Top Tier brands.

I prefer Chevron as it has Techron, which keeps the engine nice and clean (supposedly).

And the Malibu doesn't have a fuel filter either, which kind of annoys me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.