GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cadillac DTS
by Alex Law, Auto123

Not too long after Cadillac rolls out the new STS model for international consumption this year, GM's premiere luxury division will roll out a 2006 DTS for its North American consumers, replacing the current Deville.

This move puts paid to the rumor that the large luxury sedan segment is about to disappear. While the segment is certainly shrinking along with the size of its buyer base, it's still a highly profitable segment, of which Cadillac owns the biggest share.

Cadillac general manager Mark LaNeve says ''we have no intention of abandoning this segment or its customers. In fact, we're investing in it.''

That will involve a new look, LaNeve promises, one that ''will bring the styling of this legendary nameplate more in line with the Cadillac design language, along with significant enhancements to the interior.''

With this evolution of Deville to DTS, LaNeve hopes to give potential buyers a clear connection with the hottest brand look in the industry today while not futzing with the packaging that they like so much.

As a result, LaNeve hopes, the DTS will likely still be Cadillac's number-one selling product line for at least a few years.

LaNeve also promises to keep the other North American Cadillac -- the Escalade -- as current as possible.

''Escalade had its best year yet in 2003 and was number one in its segment.'' LaNeve says. ''We intend to keep it that way by bringing out new variants and refreshing that line to maintain the cachet it has achieved as the most powerful, most aspirational product of its kind.''

To capitalize on that growth, Cadillac's approach has been to bring out a new Escalade variant each year, since that helps to keep the brand fresh and build incremental sales.

''With the introduction of the ESV Platinum in the first quarter of this year,'' LaNeve said, ''we look to continue to be the market leader in this segment.''

In Canada, the ESV Platinum will retail for $96,500, and that does not include freight or taxes.

The ESV Platinum has the first application of 20-inch wheels and tires in the segment by a manufacturer (that and bigger are common on the aftermarket), along with heated and cooled seats and the industry's first heated and cooled cup holders.

source...

·
Super Moderator
10,859 Posts
That's good news. I've read previously that they would redesign the car and bring it more into the fold of the current Caddy design theme. I only hope that the redesign is done right. I am warming up to Caddy's new styling direction, but I also realize that the people who typically buy a Deville are perhaps a bit more conservative than your average Caddy buyer -- and much older. If Caddy hopes to keep those customers in their fold and keep the DTS as their #1 nameplate, I hope it will appeal to those typical buyers. The article I last read on this stated that there was a possibility that the next Deville or DTS would try to incorporate an AWD option too. Anyone have info on this possibility?

Overall good news though. I hope Caddy keeps going in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
man, was kinda hoping for the DTS to be the flagship sedan. Maybe an AWD set up? Sad part is that there will still be a 4spd auto on this.

·
Registered
43,807 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jan 30 2004, 01:08 AM
man, was kinda hoping for the DTS to be the flagship sedan. Maybe an AWD set up? Sad part is that there will still be a 4spd auto on this.
Nope... STS is the "flagship." Whatever the word "flagship" means these days. I've always thought it was XLR, but I guess that's a "halo car."

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by Smilingoat+Jan 29 2004, 08:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smilingoat @ Jan 29 2004, 08:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-babershah@Jan 30 2004, 01:34 AM
Will the DTS be RWD??
no it will be fwd. and may have an awd option.... i dont know much about that though. [/b][/quote]
:blink:

Wow. I don't think that they should make it any smaller than it is. People buy it because of it's size. I think Cadillac is on the right path to redemption!

:bounce:

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Originally posted by markform@Jan 30 2004, 05:02 AM
I think DTS will do best as a big American car with flashy, distinctive styling. 

I know 7 people who own the current model Deville - and I think every one of them could afford an S Class or similar - but choose the Deville because they don't like the 'restrained' styling of BMW, MB and Lexus.  In fact, 2 people spent about $10,000 extra to load their Devilles up with Vogue tires, cloth roof, extra chrome down the side and aftermarket wheels.  Talk about flashy styling - reminds me of the early 80's Eldo Biarritz - worth the money if you're looking for visual impact!

So yes, keep the DTS a big car - but make sure it's distinctive looking in an American sort of way.  Making it look like an imported car would ruin it.

Most importantly - Deville is the #1 car for people who drive over 25,000 miles a year, and trade every year or two. This is a very important market - places like the midwest, Texas and Florida where people drive alot - markets where Deville is very popular. These types of buyers want a smooth ride, large trunk and quiet interior - take that away, and you'll drive them into the hands of Lincoln.
DeVille styling is more flashy than BMW??? It's (intentionally) the most conservative Cadillac, (from the factory, without the urban-makeovers you're mentioning.)

The car exists primarily to appease the older folks, otherwise the STS could do the job. Big overlap with cars like Buick Park Ave, but the Deville has remained more contemporary than the Buicks.

Older folks seem to be into the more conservative lines, so I would expect the next DTS to be rather conservative next to CTS (I mean, even more conservative than the STS).

I understand Cadillac's desire to use alpha-numerics, but the name DeVille has good brand equity. Is it more important to create a theme (CTS, STS, DTS) than to take advantage of name recognition? Seems like the older folks would prefer the name Deville over DTS, but I could be wrong. I still have this feeling the recent success of Cadillac is like a blind squirrel finding a nut, but time will tell.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro+Jan 30 2004, 07:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mgescuro @ Jan 30 2004, 07:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Jan 30 2004, 01:08 AM
man, was kinda hoping for the DTS to be the flagship sedan.  Maybe an AWD set up?  Sad part is that there will still be a 4spd auto on this.
Nope... STS is the "flagship." Whatever the word "flagship" means these days. I've always thought it was XLR, but I guess that's a "halo car." [/b][/quote]
well the XLR is a cool car, but Im talking about the sedan flagship. Like the 7 series, S series. The Devillie has always, at least to me and since the 60's, the flagship caddy. By flagship i mean the must luxurious, most expensive, most wanted caddy. I guess that is the XLR now, but I was refering to sedans. Since the Devillie was more expensive and was the best selling caddy, I treat it as teh Flagship of Caddy's sedans. But it looks like the STS will take its spot till a ULS comes around, or whatever they are gunan call it.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
It would be crazy for Cadillac to ever abandon the large luxury sedan segment. I wonder where any rumors like that began. The smoothest, softest, most comfortable riding automobiles are large. When you want to take several executives to lunch, you want them to be impressed with the luxuries of a large, comfortable vehicle. If Cadillac ever abandoned this segment, they'd be abandoning what they're all about..

Otherwise, I'm anxious to see the new DTS. The current version is very nice, but I'd like to see it compete in refinement with the Lexus LS and Mercedes S-Class...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by Sal Collaziano@Feb 2 2004, 05:25 AM
The current version is very nice, but I'd like to see it compete in refinement with the Lexus LS and Mercedes S-Class...
yeah, it can't do that if it will be fwd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jan 31 2004, 02:29 AM
The Devillie has always, at least to me and since the 60's, the flagship caddy.  By flagship i mean the must luxurious, most expensive, most wanted caddy.  I guess that is the XLR now, but I was refering to sedans.  Since the Devillie was more expensive and was the best selling caddy, I treat it as teh Flagship of Caddy's sedans.
de Ville is the flagship only in volume. In the 40's the flagship was the Sixty Special, the 50's it was the Eldorado, Eldorado Biarritz/Seville, then Eldorado Brougham while the low end was the Sixty-two- later called Calais. Various Eldorados and the Fleetwood series cars were the flagships until the "International Sized" Seville came out in '75. The '75 Seville was the most expensive car in the line-up that wasn't a limo. Since then the line has blurred between the Seville and the Deville (new spelling) so that neither really can lay claim to the name. I guess that means XLR is the flagship, at least until they intro the S-class fighter.

BTW- the 80's bustleback Seville reflected the original clay models from 1973:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2...ville/73sev.jpg

the image won't post, but it's on a great site for older Caddy info

·
Registered
809 Posts
I completely agree that it has to be either AWD or RWD to compete with Lexus and Mercedes. IMO I think that they should restyle it like the CTS and STS. This car should scream Cadillac just like you can tell at a glance what a BMW is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts