GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Entertaining the idea of a 2006-2007 Saab 9-5, because they are all pretty loaded even w/o Aero or visibility packages, low mile examples can be had for around $20K, and the re-style has grown on me. Plus, I love the 2.3L 260HP turbo 4 & they all look upscale, in contrast with the used 9-3's in my local market which are all 2.0T's that stick you with the dinky wheels and black rub strips that give the car a more downmarket appearance (not to mention the relative lack of equipment). It just seems like the 9-5 is a good value.

Are they reliable? The 2006-7's will have the balance of the 4/50 bumper to bumper & 3/36 scheduled maintenance, & if I can find a good deal on a 2007 I'll also get the 5/100 powertrain, so there is some safety net if I go this route. Their recent move in killing the 5/100 powertrain on 2009's is not an inspiration, however.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
It depends who you ask. I spoke to my local dealer as I was considering a 9-5 Sportcombi and he told my they are bulletproof. I asked my local mechanic who has been working on my cars for the last 10 years (he's been doing this for over 20 years) and he says run, don't walk from Saab. The mechanic tells me the newer ones are worse than the old ones due to cost cutting resulting in sub par quality. I personally love the 9-5 but GM cutting the warranty leads me to believe they are losing their shirt on warranty repairs.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've been using synthetic on all my cars for several years now, its my personal preference w.r.t. cheap insurance, especially with a turbo car.

Any other areas of concern--i.e. history of electrical issues, trannies, or other expensive non-DIY friendly stuff like steering racks, accesories, etc? Any insight to the mentioned various 'fixes'--what was the problem, what was the fix?

MontrealVue, your points aren't taken lightly either. Part of the issue is since SAABs are not as common, there is not as much info out there that I have been able to find (at least in comparison to the other cars I'll be shopping).

I'm basically flying totally blind on this, as I have zero familiarity with SAAB.

·
Registered
44,165 Posts
9-5's are bulletproof.
I mean, the car's been on the market for so damned long, that GM's been able to work out all the bugs in them... :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, 9-5's always been at or near the top in its market segment for quality -- initial and longterm. Bulletproof.

It's the 9-3's that have the issues -- pre-2006-ish.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Yeah, I've been using synthetic on all my cars for several years now, its my personal preference w.r.t. cheap insurance, especially with a turbo car.

Any other areas of concern--i.e. history of electrical issues, trannies, or other expensive non-DIY friendly stuff like steering racks, accesories, etc? Any insight to the mentioned various 'fixes'--what was the problem, what was the fix?

MontrealVue, your points aren't taken lightly either. Part of the issue is since SAABs are not as common, there is not as much info out there that I have been able to find (at least in comparison to the other cars I'll be shopping).

I'm basically flying totally blind on this, as I have zero familiarity with SAAB.
Problem 1 is a 10 000 mile oil change interval, requiring synthetic on a turbo motor (and people putting jiffy lube every 15 k or something like that), and an inadequate PCV system... there have been several redesigns of the PCV to fix this, I suggest sythetic oil around 7500 miles or less, coupled with the newer car should mean no hassles for you.

Also historically the direct ignition cassettes were dying around 100 - 150 k miles, this is probably the most DIY friendly repair imaginable but the cassette wasn't cheap. I think the newest types you'll find on 06 or 07 cars should last basically "forever" though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
9-5's are bulletproof.
I mean, the car's been on the market for so damned long, that GM's been able to work out all the bugs in them... :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, 9-5's always been at or near the top in its market segment for quality -- initial and longterm. Bulletproof.

It's the 9-3's that have the issues -- pre-2006-ish.
:lmao: The bolded fact did not escape my attention. I read somewhere about year or two ago that it was #3 on the list of oldest European model still in production; I wonder if it made # 1 yet.

No matter, if 9-5's specifically are indeed bulletproof, that has to be the best 'prime value' used car buy out there. Some local deals are 25-30K mile 2006 2.3T's for $19K, and a 16K mile 2007 Aero with visibility package for $22K. Plus, all will have some bumper to bumper warranty left. Sad in a way, because I wouldn't give these cars a second look if I had to shell out $38K minimum for a new one.

Hopefully I will enjoy the test drive.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem 1 is a 10 000 mile oil change interval, requiring synthetic on a turbo motor (and people putting jiffy lube every 15 k or something like that), and an inadequate PCV system... there have been several redesigns of the PCV to fix this, I suggest sythetic oil around 7500 miles or less, coupled with the newer car should mean no hassles for you.

Also historically the direct ignition cassettes were dying around 100 - 150 k miles, this is probably the most DIY friendly repair imaginable but the cassette wasn't cheap. I think the newest types you'll find on 06 or 07 cars should last basically "forever" though.
In that case I might do a synth change every 5K (which would amount to ~6 months with my current mileage, so no biggie). If the PCV issue is at the valve itself I might fabricate up a catch can arrangement and kill two birds with one stone.

I'll be happy as long as I don't have to frequently deal with issues or get nickel and dimed to death, which doesn't sound like it should be the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts