GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me or point me in the right direction. My Yukon XL 2005 lost both lens for the fog lights. I asked the dealer what to do now that the lamps are exposed. His reply this is normal and has seen it before you need to replace the whole lamp/lens etc.

I ordered and received the after market replacements I bought on the internet. I am a resourceful handy guy and it looks like after opening the box only two screws might hold it in place. Is there a schematic online to show me the exact screws to take out and can i do it by just going under the car? Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Your dealer is correct...the lamp lenses are sealed and not serviced seperately...
All I can find is lamp removal for the pickup...a Yukon in 2005 should be darn close!

Front Fog Lamp Replacement (GMC Pick Up)

Callout
Component Name
Preliminary Procedures
  1. <LI type=1>Remove the front wheelhouse panel. Refer to Wheelhouse Panel Replacement .
  2. Disconnect the fog lamp electrical connector from the bulb socket.
Fog Lamp Mounting Screw (Qty: 2)
Tighten
5 N·m (44 lb in)
Front Fog Lamp Assembly
Caution: Refer to Halogen Bulb Caution in the Preface section.
Tip
Remove the lamp assembly from the front bumper bracket and transfer the fog lamp bulb to the new fog lamp assembly.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
If needed?????

Wheelhouse Panel Replacement
Removal Procedure

1. <LI type=1>Remove the push-in retainers (2) from the wheelhouse panel.

<LI type=1>Remove the retainers (2) from the front fascia (1). If applicable. <LI type=1>Remove the top clips retaining the harness to the top of the wheelhouse panel.
  2. Remove the wheelhouse panel from the wheelhouse.
Installation Procedure

1. <LI type=1>Install the wheelhouse panel to the wheelhouse. <LI type=1>Install the push-in retainers (2) to the wheelhouse panel.

<LI type=1>Install the retainers (2) to the front fascia (1). If applicable.
  2. Install the top clips retaining the harness to the top of the wheelhouse panel.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
No idea how the heck you had the lenses come off BOTH, but there had to be some kind of a weird defect in their assembly or something. Or did that lower bumper area suffer any impact damage ever?

As said, lights are always made as sealed units, so the lens (even though your's became separate...) cannot be purchased as a piece on their own.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
The glue that holds the lenses in gets old and dry, then cracks and the lens falls off. Not to mention the heat from the lamp being on. But yes, you do have to replace the whole shooting match. Same thing happens alot on the grand prixs from 97-03.

Seriously just look under the bumper, two 10mm bolts and a plug and its off, no sweat at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.