GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 9-2X a real Saab, or isn't it?

Hand-wringers and purists might simply look down for the ignition between the seats and dismiss this new five-door, all-wheel-drive wagon as badge engineering at its laziest. But if you look deeper and farther into the past, the 9-2X - essentially a reworked version of the Subaru Impreza/WRX - is eerily more Saab than the Swedish brand's own new 9-3 sedan.

Though it was a marriage of convenience that brought Saab and Subaru together under the vast General Motors tent, the two companies already shared some common traits: an endearing iconoclasm and a commensurate teensy market share in the U.S. and Canada (where the 9-2X will be sold only - Old Europe, you get none!), plus a penchant for five-door bodies and turbocharging. So if you read elsewhere about the lack of Saab-ness, feel free to dismiss it. Brand character doesn't end at the Swedish border, you know.

What really matters in cases like these, is how good the vehicle beneath is, and how well the transformation has been effected. And in the case of the 9-2X, there's happy news to report.

Full story here: The Car Connection

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There's only a $2000 (approx) difference between the 9-2x Aero, and the Subie WRX.

That's not outrageous.

I personally like the look of the 9-2x better. The Subaru is too "Gen-Y".

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
i was hoping it'd slot in well under the 9-3, but it'll be very close to the $34,900 (CAD) 9-3 starting price. guess it was a pipe dream... it obviously wasn't going to be LESS than the impreza... but it doesn't really open the saab market up to many younger buyers... just those that could afford a 9-3 before, but would rather have an AWD wagon. and perhaps that's okay... maybe saab doesn't wanna reach too low... but DAMN i want a saab! because i'm impressed by the 9-2x!

5,934 Posts
who cares. It's a frick'n SAAB.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't understand why some of you even read this page, let alone bother to make inane remarks that make you seem rather ignorant. Nothing wrong with criticizing the product or the concept of the 9-2X, not at all. But I just get the feeling that some of those who have posts on this subject should be looking at pages about king pins and leaf springs.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by Maetrix66@May 13 2004, 11:00 AM
Exactly, plus, it's a damn station wagon.
Here we go again <_< .

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@May 13 2004, 01:25 PM
There's only a $2000 (approx) difference between the 9-2x Aero, and the Subie WRX.

That's not outrageous.

I personally like the look of the 9-2x better. The Subaru is too "Gen-Y".
hey now dont blame that goofy front end on us gen y'ers! :p its not our fault car companies think we want ugly/gooffy looking cars, i mean scoin? only people i see driving those are older people.

anyway i too like the look of the saab better, much cleaner. anyway im really surprised how well the media is taking to the car. even motortrend said "enouph with the saabaru jokes" and gave it a goodf review.

i thought we would be hearing something along the lines of clone wars :kama:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Hmm...I like the 9-2X! It's different - but in a good way. I do like it better than the 9-7X oddly though...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I like the looks of the front-end too. It's cleaner
than the Subaru. Too bad we can't have it here
in Europe.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by Mikkoo@May 14 2004, 12:10 AM
I like the looks of the front-end too. It's cleaner
than the Subaru. Too bad we can't have it here
in Europe.
Dang, that stinks! Well, you do get those Saab performance parts...

-Jason

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
The attached Jerry Flint article is right on the money, but the one started by Padgett (above) is nonsense.

An original 9-2, even on a global platform (executed like the 9-3), would have been a smash hit. But as is, they'll be lucky to move the paltry 7000 a year that's forecast.

Do you realize the 9-2's body style has been around in the entry-level Impreza through three face lifts, originating almost 10 years ago? So the side profile of the new 9-2x is already a decade old !!!

Dumb move Lutz.

·
Registered
538 Posts
You know, I was against this whole 9-2 model. But now that I've seen so many pics, it's grown on me. I have to applaud Saab for the sheet metal differences from the WRX, front and back, it's very convincing as a Saab (except for the hood scoop and the interior) they should change the center stack in my opinion. But it's a nice car and take back what said..... ;)

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
My feelings about the 9-2X and the 9-7X are that they are good vehicles. Unfortunately, just about everyone makes good automobiles these days.

My fantasies when the "car guys" began to play a more pivotal role at GM were that there would be an end to stopgap products. When we are teased with fabulous cars like the C6, the XLR and the kappa products, the average nature of half-hearted attempts like the CSV's, 9-7X, and 9-2X is that much more clear. The reality is that GM still has some significant work left to do.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Understand how a GM suit thinks. Why be innovative if we can change the grill, jack up the price 2 to 3 grand and get the dopes to buy it. That's how we have been doing it for the last 25 years. HMMMMMMMMM! Our car market share went in the toilet, I guess a few of them have caught on. Well we only want to sell 7000 9-2's, in a country of 300 million we can still find 7000 dopes.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I actually like it. Saab needed a hatch, and with enough sound deadening, sleeker looks, a nicer interior and other Saab styling touches I think I'd choose it over a boy racer Subie.

At least it has a peppy 4-cyl. turbo engine, FWD and a transmission with more than 4 gears - unlike the Saablazer.

Saab Blazers with pushrod V8s and Saab (and Saturn) CSVs - now those are the ideas of a GM suit who doesn't respect brand character.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts