GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Although there is much overlap, the Altima/Maxima relationship is really no different from the LaCrosse/Lesabre relationship.

It's a nice midlife update.

·
Super Moderator
10,859 Posts
Looks really nice to me. The exterior looks nice, but the interior is WAY WAY nicer than the current car. They finally seem to have gotten the design together. I can't tell by the pictures, but if the materials are better too, then they've got a winner on their hands. I also read on another forum that they will also include a 3.5SL to the mix. Last year they had a base, 2.5S, 2.5SL and the 3.5SE. This year they're gonna drop the base, offer a 2.5S, 2.5SL, 3.5SL and 3.5SE. Overall, very nice.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
huummm, I'm wondering what they did with the stupid clear tail lights...

I kinda like the 5 spoke rims instead of the stupid 6 spoke!

·
Registered
790 Posts
i like it a bunch more than the old one. but will NEVER own another nissan as long as i live! ive owned 3 mid ninties and they all sucked!

as for the clear taillight thing, i actually like it, but only on light colored cars, like white, silver, and puter. but i dont really like it on this color, or black dark blue and green.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Originally posted by LegendNH@Feb 8 2004, 05:49 AM
looks like Nissan collaborated with GM on the interior :lol:

and the C6 called, it wants its hood back!
LOL My fanatic Nissan friends would hate that comment. I'll be sure to tell them. :)

Tim

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
The interior is better (how could it not be?), and the overall exterior design is unoffensive, though I agree with johnd89 on the cheap-looking taillamps. To me the Altima, like most Nissan products, have always been "OK," nothing terrific. The only Nissan that I'm smitten with is the 350Z; it's design, engine, packaging, and pricing is pretty phenom.

For me, Nissan's cars are OK overall. From a design, technical innovation, and especially quality standpoint, they certainly have nothing over GM. Of course, I cannot help but think that Nissan has unfairly ridden Toyota's and Honda's "Japanese-do-it-better coattails" to higher sales.

Some people say it's sour grapes on my part... but I don't think so! :p

·
Registered
203 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam@Feb 8 2004, 08:32 AM
For me, Nissan's cars are OK overall. From a design, technical innovation, and especially quality standpoint, they certainly have nothing over GM. Of course, I cannot help but think that Nissan has unfairly ridden Toyota's and Honda's "Japanese-do-it-better coattails" to higher sales.

I have to disagree with ya here. Nissan puts GM to shame in terms of performance (minus Corvette of course). I went to Nissan because GM didn't feel that it was nessisary to put a manual tranny in their "performance" sedans. Plus I'm not one for forced induction, I think it's the easy way out. Nissan's 3.5 motor is incredibly smooth and responsive. Pontiac's blown GP GTP motor equals the 3.5 in HP and only edges the 3.5 in Torque. Remember though that the 3.5 is smaller and N/A. I went to Nissan to actually buy a 2k2 Altima when the came out, but I was scared off by the interior. I ended up in a 2k2 Maxima with a better interior and more options for less than I could have gotten an Altima for anyway. I just hope that the new interior is better than the old one.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by SteveWallace@Feb 8 2004, 07:03 PM
I have to disagree with ya here. Nissan puts GM to shame in terms of performance (minus Corvette of course). I went to Nissan because GM didn't feel that it was nessisary to put a manual tranny in their "performance" sedans. Plus I'm not one for forced induction, I think it's the easy way out. Nissan's 3.5 motor is incredibly smooth and responsive. Pontiac's blown GP GTP motor equals the 3.5 in HP and only edges the 3.5 in Torque. Remember though that the 3.5 is smaller and N/A. I went to Nissan to actually buy a 2k2 Altima when the came out, but I was scared off by the interior. I ended up in a 2k2 Maxima with a better interior and more options for less than I could have gotten an Altima for anyway. I just hope that the new interior is better than the old one.
but...
a gtp is 3k less than a maxima sl... for sure you can negociate more the pontiac price over the nissan's
also, altough the maxima have 5 more hp, the gtp obtains the peak hp at 5200rpm, vs 5800!
wow, let's look more closely at the torque output:
255/4400 rpm for the nissan vs 280/3600.
you said something about weight?? how's 963 lbs more for the maxima???

if you want to look at the numbers, always look closely!
and remember that you can always change the pulley on the gtp if you want more.

and a n/a engine is "the easy way out", how else would you explain they dropped it on the lacrosse? altough turbo is best, I would pick any s/c engine over a n/a one wich is allready pushed to its limits

·
Registered
742 Posts
The interior reminds me too much of the Titan. It's nice, but it's just a car not a truck. I also think the vents take up too much room.

·
Registered
39 Posts
the interior lights are red in one photo and green in another. wonder fi one can change them like in the new 'stang. also the controls underneath the navigaiton system look quite confusing. the buttons also are extremely small and it seems it would be easy to push two buttons at the same time. ive been a nissan/infiniti fan because i like their exterior styling and their horsepower ratings. they throw some strong engines int heir cars and blow away the weak toyotas and hondas. this car however seems like a makeover and not a new car. i think its quite plain and will belnd in with most cars, but its solid.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Originally posted by SteveWallace+Feb 8 2004, 07:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SteveWallace @ Feb 8 2004, 07:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tgagneguam@Feb 8 2004, 08:32 AM
For me, Nissan's cars are OK overall.  From a design, technical innovation, and especially quality standpoint, they certainly have nothing over GM.  Of course, I cannot help but think that Nissan has unfairly ridden Toyota's and Honda's "Japanese-do-it-better coattails" to higher sales.

I have to disagree with ya here. Nissan puts GM to shame in terms of performance (minus Corvette of course). I went to Nissan because GM didn't feel that it was nessisary to put a manual tranny in their "performance" sedans. Plus I'm not one for forced induction, I think it's the easy way out. Nissan's 3.5 motor is incredibly smooth and responsive. Pontiac's blown GP GTP motor equals the 3.5 in HP and only edges the 3.5 in Torque. Remember though that the 3.5 is smaller and N/A. I went to Nissan to actually buy a 2k2 Altima when the came out, but I was scared off by the interior. I ended up in a 2k2 Maxima with a better interior and more options for less than I could have gotten an Altima for anyway. I just hope that the new interior is better than the old one. [/b][/quote]
Nissan has absolutely nothing on GM: Not quality, not design, not manufacturing ability, not engineering prowess... nothing. And I absolutely stand by my opinion.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Test drive this side by side with the Grand Prix... you will quickly find out this is a crap-box on wheels dynamically. Exterior looks to be improved though - and very competitive...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Originally posted by SilverZ@Feb 8 2004, 06:45 PM
Test drive this side by side with the Grand Prix... you will quickly find out this is a crap-box on wheels dynamically. Exterior looks to be improved though - and very competitive...
I test drove the 2k2 GP and the Maxima, never drove the Alti. I know that the last gen GP could not compare to the last gen Max. I haven't driven the new GP though so it may be a very different beast.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think its just ok, but then again I think the whole Nissan lineup is just ok, style-wise (thats just my opinion, ..no offense to the nissan lovers) I did notice in this midlife update, the interior is a bit toned down of its french influence...thats a good thing (the feel was a bit too cold, rather than modern, in my opinion) AND WHATS WITH THE SHELF PAPER WOODGRAIN??????

·
Registered
203 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam@Feb 8 2004, 05:37 PM
Nissan has absolutely nothing on GM: Not quality, not design, not manufacturing ability, not engineering prowess... nothing. And I absolutely stand by my opinion.
You can say that all you want, but the proof is in the pudding. I will give you the quality point though, Nissan doesn't deserve the rep for quality that it has. And my experiences with GM's service depts were significantly better than Honda, Nissan, and Ford.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Nice update. Interior looks better than the old for sure.

Steering wheel looks like a copy of the one in the Grand Prix, interesting.

:bounce:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by SteveWallace@Feb 9 2004, 01:07 AM
You can say that all you want, but the proof is in the pudding.  I will give you the quality point though, Nissan doesn't deserve the rep for quality that it has.  And my experiences with GM's service depts were significantly better than Honda, Nissan, and Ford.
anyone is free to do what he wants with its hard earned $$.
while some could sarifice driving excitement for better resale value or else, I wouldn't ever.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts