GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2005 Malibu has the Power Steering warning coming on all the time. There is the occasional clunk while turning while backing up . I've read a few posts about 2004/2005 having power steering issues and most of the info I find isn't, well, very usefull. I'm taking the car to a dealer, but I would like to be armed with some info, because as we know, there are good dealers and then there are the ignorant ones who you pay to learn how to fix your car.

So, is there a TSB or other post somewhere that can help educate me on Malibu power steering problems ?
Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
Snap/Pop Type Noise During Steering Wheel Rotation (Replace Inner Tie Rod Boot)
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 06-02-32-005, Date of Issue: May 03, 2006
Affected Model(s): 2004 Buick Regal; 2004-2005 Buick Century, Park Avenue; 2004-2006 Buick LeSabre, Rendezvous; 2005-2006 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse, Terraza; 2006 Buick Lucerne; 2004 Cadillac Seville; 2004-2005 Cadillac Deville; 2006 Cadillac DTS; 2004-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier, Malibu Classic, Venture; 2004-2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Impala; 2005-2006 Chevrolet Uplander; 2004 Oldsmobile Alero, Silhouette; 2004 Pontiac Montana; 2004-2005 Pontiac Aztek, Bonneville, Grand Am, Sunfire; 2004-2006 Pontiac Grand Prix; 2005-2006 Pontiac Montana SV6; 2005-2006 Saturn Relay

Related Ref Number(s): 06-02-32-005
ARTICLE BEGINNING
Condition
Some customers may comment about a snap or pop type noise coming from the front of the vehicle. This noise usually occurs during steering wheel rotation.

Cause
The cause of this condition may be due to the inner tie rod boot collapsing unevenly, allowing for contact between the inner tie rod and the boot. This condition is sometimes referred to as "snaking."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only other TSBs I see are related to loss of PS assist.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
throw a column in it. depends on the DTC. some times si will tell you to just replace the column assembly in some cases. most of the time this is what everything boils down to.

·
Banned
158 Posts
My wife's 2005 Malibu has the Power Steering warning coming on all the time. There is the occasional clunk while turning while backing up . I've read a few posts about 2004/2005 having power steering issues and most of the info I find isn't, well, very usefull. I'm taking the car to a dealer, but I would like to be armed with some info, because as we know, there are good dealers and then there are the ignorant ones who you pay to learn how to fix your car.

So, is there a TSB or other post somewhere that can help educate me on Malibu power steering problems ?
Thanks
this bulletin probably does not apply to your vehcile unless its an N body malibu,if it was bought used and was a rental then it could be but N bodys were only available as fleet cars in 05.if its a Z body then the noise is probably either the intermediate shaft or the column.people shouldnt post things unless they know what they are talking about.Non gm techs shouldnt have access to bulletins,they arent for do it yourselfers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well they greased the rack and the clunking went away. They also siad there is a faulty sensor in the column, which requires the replacement of the column.

It is now 1 month later and now the power steering has failed completely.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
The problem is not the steering rack, it is the "steering gear assembly". It is around $175-$200 for the part and takes about 1 hour to put it in.

Luckly I have never had to pay for any such problem.

EDIT: I noticed your steering is completely dead, that could be not only the steering gear assembly (why you get the popping), but it could be a complete column issue. As have been suggested, take it to the dealer and they should get it taken care of quickly.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i dont think we are looking at a rack issue here. it just doesnt sound like it, but it is hard to tell without the car in my bay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take it back then!
And so I did. And as expected they were going to charge my wife for the column and the labor (approx $850). When I presented them with a reference to a TSB that you posted here:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...ower-steering-assist-models-2005-chevr-58130/

they "discovered" that the problem was covered under an extended parts warrantee. The car was fixed at no charge. Thanks for making the information available on the referenced posting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts