GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally the new 2005 Ion for real. It was in Essence magazine so, it is publicly available (no embargo). I think it did not go far enough. Has an old Corolla style grill. <_<

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
oh wow. welcome to 1998! yowza! who makes the final decisions on these things? the ion quad coupe has a nice enough looking front end. this is just silly. and that horrid roofline is still there. there's no hope for this ugly little buggy.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
It is real.

Every time I see new Saturn product design, I am further certain that the brand will be axed within the next 5-10 years, short of a massive infusion of Opel designed product.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really don't know what GM management was thinking. I think Lutz privately wants Saturn dead.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by paul8488@Jul 16 2004, 07:27 AM
oh wow. welcome to 1998! yowza! who makes the final decisions on these things? the ion quad coupe has a nice enough looking front end. this is just silly. and that horrid roofline is still there. there's no hope for this ugly little buggy.
The roofline can't change much because it would require too much cost. The front end could have been "all new" but for some reason Saturn figured it could slap a new grill on the old bumper and no one would be the wiser. I am sure Mr. Lutz has a major say in the design direction, and this update falls far short of what was needed for the Ion for the next 2 years. Hopefully there will be an all new Ion in 2007. Hopefully there will be a Saturn in 2007. Saturn should thank God for the Vue.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Hard to tell a whole lot from this picture but I think it looks a little better, more upscale with a grill on it.

More important however is the other many changes that were to occur, especially the interior and steering.

The fact that GM is putting money in to making changes is a sign they want to make this car work which is positive. I still like the Cobalt much better.

·
Registered
263 Posts
VW will certainly be flattered!

Gotta say that I like it overall. The lines are a little more aggressive than the '04:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't understand the admiration so many people have for Bob Lutz on this board.

Looking at his tenure at GM, Bob Lutz has:
1. Dumbed down Cadillac's Art and Science Theme
2. Released the Ion (went over like a fart in church)
3. Approved the Interior of the Malibu (battleship gray forevever!)
4. Brought the Holden Monaro over which has not met sales expectations
5. Approved the CSV's (ugh)
6. Thinks buick can be the "Amercian Lexus" (might have something to do with his age)

On the plus side:
1. The Pontiac Solstice - but its only a 20K units per year type of vehicle.
2. The Pontiac G6 - I still haven't seen it in the skin.
3. Hummer H2 - this may have been on the way w/o Lutz.

·
Registered
227 Posts
4runner,

I love my Pontiac and my Chevrolet from the '90's and I generally like GM, but I have to agree with you. I have YET to see a new GM vehicle influenced by Lutz that is a styling, engineering and/or sales success. And GM still loses market share year after year. I think this is another case of Lutz's reality not living up to his hype.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
That is a truly dissappointing design. Is there some sort of tax for using creativity that GM is trying to avoid paying?

We had to wait ten years to see a Saturn S-Series replacement, which is a helluva long time to get a design right. We got the ION, which dissappointed. How many second chances exist?

Oh, I know ... "just wait a few more years, there's great product in the pipeline."
<_<

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Maybe we need a GMInsidenews design contest for the new ION.

Based on what I've seen out here, this group can produce a design with way more passion than what GM is giving us.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Originally posted by atomicshark@Jul 16 2004, 12:33 PM
I really don't know what GM management was thinking. I think Lutz privately wants Saturn dead.
How private can it can be when they're putting cars out like?

As far as what he has done right, don't size the man. He's helped bring Cadillac back strong (even though I'm sure it was planned long before he got there), he's brought us a new Vette with a nice interior, the Solstice, can't blame him for trying with the GTO, built the Cobalt (which looks a million times better than that piece we call the Cavalier), released the Ion to kill Saturn (and how is that NOT a good thing?), and if Buick is done right, there's no reason to think they can't be an American Lexus in a few years. Not everything he's attempted is perfect, but not every car every manufacturer puts out is perfect. The guy has done great things for GM and they're on a rebound because of him.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
They took some of the weirdness out, but now it looks so generic, I'm sure it'll be used as one of those "any-cars" banks use in their commercials.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
saturn has never made a good looking car, so what's new? on top of that, this car undoubtedly still has the center mounted guages ala Toyota Echo/Prius. Saturn should not exist. GM started them to compete with the Japanese cars, which never really worked, and now that there are new products coming for all of the other brands to compete, why bother? Saturn desperately needs to go the way of the dodo. Saturn sucks.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts