GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,876 Posts
just curious.... where is GM's hybrid? everyone else that matters much in the auto industry will be flaunting theirs, why isn't GM getting into the fray? makes little sense to me. with a concept like the HY-WIRE, you'd think they'd be on board with a green vehicle, and they're already years behind. what gives?

· Registered
2,876 Posts
Honda is an engineering company that can make outstanding products (not just cars)
that says it all about Honda. they are an excellent engineering company, and they build things to near perfection. certainly, their cars could not be considered "exciting", (with some exceptions... NSX is a good one to start) but they are definitely built very well, and built to last. i remember the old days, when most people i knew were buying American, mostly because all of the imports were little cars that were only good for the most basic transportation needs, but also because it was the thing to do. now, the imports that were such small companies with limited offerings here, build to suit our market. they compete in one way or another with all of the domestic vehicles, and do a really good job. one thing they offer above domestics is technology. technology that in itself offers many good things. quality, better fit and finish, efficiency... the list could go on. my point, i guess, is that the import seem to offer more of what American consumers want than the domestic manufacturers do. that's what's happening with hybrids. the Japanese manufacturers have something like 6 hybrids coming out in the next couple of years, and these are available to the masses, not fleets. people obviously want them, not just for fuel savings, but for environmental reasons, too. Ford has a few coming out soon, but GM? not so much. the domestic manufacturers have been doing what they've always done, and that's build whatever they think we'll buy, and we buy it. the Japanese have listened to what we want, and built that. it works. look at the market gain for Toyota this year. not a coincidence, it's doing what all of the car makers should do. if it includes boring hybrids, so be it. build what people want, not what you think we should have.

· Registered
2,876 Posts
As evidenced by the growing number of nameplates in America, the US market is not going in one direction. The tastes of automobile consumers is heterogenous, and that is reflected in the wide variety of vehicles people purchase.

consider, however, the companies who have expanded with new brands over the past couple of decades, and those who have lost divisions. Chrysler (who got bought out by a foreign company, no less) lost Plymouth and Eagle in the past decade. GM, of course is bidding farewell to the Olds brand after well over 100 years. meanwhile, Acura and Lexus have only grown, as has Infiniti, and Scion is emerging. funny how the Japanese brands just continue to gain ground if they don't know what this market wants. i don't think they are all encompassing, but they do a really good job at hitting the sweet spot in the marketplace. besides, look at the top selling midsize sedans (very important, very lucrative) and tell me what they are. Toyota and Honda. all i'm saying is that instead of hiding and watching, GM needs to be ahead of the game some time, and once again, they're not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.