GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

SOURCE: PM

Look for big changes as Pontiac sets out to redefine its concept of automotive excitement.

The General Motors division has been rolling out an array of new product and more is on the way, from the compact Grand Am replacement to the newly reborn GTO muscle car. Think of them as "transitional," stresses Pontiac General Manager Lynn Meyers, for even more changes are coming. And while the GM veteran isn't giving out the details, those changes could include a fast remake of the GTO.

With its 350-horsepower LS1 engine promising 0-to-60 mph times in the 5.5-second range, the GTO is designed to revive the era when Pontiac was king of the road. But while there's been plenty of advance praise for the Australian import's performance, its jellybean styling has generated a decidedly more tepid response.

"We do understand that," acknowledges Meyers, noting that there are already aftermarket programs underway to develop accessories, such as hood scoops, that would give the "goat" a more traditional, muscle car appearance. And GM "is looking at how fast we can do one, as well."

Sources inside GM and on the supplier side of the business have been hinting there's an aggressive effort underway to restyle the GTO, perhaps in as little as two years after its upcoming launch.

"It always was in our thinking that we would do other things relative to appearance. It always was in our thinking, from Day One," says Meyers, though she won't say how far GM might go - nor how soon.

Performance promises

One thing she doesn't sidestep is the dramatic change in the definition of performance since cars like the GTO ruled the road. In those days, 0-to-60 mph times were just about all that mattered. These days, there are plenty of other numbers that matter, everything from the size of the gaps between body panels, to the number of defects per 100 vehicles as they roll out of the plant.

"We have to deliver on the performance promise," says Meyer, admitting "we often haven't in recent years. We also have to give them quality and refinement, as well."

There are signs that the necessary changes are coming with products like the latest update of the Grand Prix. But Meyers cautions that while that mid-size sedan has made some big improvements in both interior and exterior styling, "it is a transitional car," and still not up to world-class levels of refinement. "We have made some improvements…but we do have some distance to go."

The basic Pontiac product range must also undergo a transition. That began with the addition of a minivan and Pontiac tried to stretch the definition of "innovation" with its much-faulted Aztek. That crossover will go away in a couple years, according to Meyers, though she again hesitates when asked to discuss its replacement. A true sport-utility vehicle is almost certainly not in the cards, as SUVs are the purview of Pontiac's sister division, GMC. But another crossover is reportedly in development.

"Every brand out there," hints Meyers, "needs to be a player in the SUV or crossover segment to be relevant in today's marketplace, and Pontiac's going to be relevant."

READ MORE

·
Registered
248 Posts
I guess y'all can stop whining about the looks now. Personally, I didn't think there was anything wrong with this one, but if they feel the need to update the styling, let 'em. Just don't screw it up. Please?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think they need to lose the grilles.

I liked who the last T/A's had a very pontiac "split grille" look without actually having the typical grand am, grand prix, bonneville split grilles.

I'm sure they could do something similar, it makes the car a little more exotic.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I, for one, think that if that rendering had been the actual production GTO instead of what we got, there would be segnificantly FEWER complaints about it's styling. . . . nice. B)

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'm digging those Saab-like grilles. Much more aggressive than those kidney beans. Also in the sketch they seem to have solved the rounded Jelly Bean look with sharper bends and the spilt bumper/hood thing.

It would have been great had the 04 GTO looked like this. However it would probably end up being the 05 GTO and people who've already paid for their goats would be pissed for waiting so long ;)

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Just that nose change was awesome. Very nice and this makes the car look a lot better.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Any chance this rendering is just an idea? I am hoping the GTO does have one retro touch. 64 and 04 GTO horizontal headlights 65 and 05 vertical heallights. The shift by stylists back to veritcal lamps CTS, and others would give the GTO a upscale look and might make all the people who want a different look happy. Another way to look at the headlights is complaints concerns the GTO looking like a Grand Am and Grand Prix would disappear with the change in the lights.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Vertical headlights wont appear on the 05, it would need new guards bonnet etc. Too much money, as the monaro/commodore is getting only a slight update next year.

p.s. I wouldnt mind that look (in the pic)on the monaro either, I like the front, holden had split grilles for a while, i really liked that.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Why can't they just use some of this pre-existing HSV sheetmetal:

Holden?s Coupe 4 super-Monaro unveiled

By: Gavin McGrath
17 October 2003

THE perfect car for cashed-up rev heads has been unveiled.

Five years after it rocked the car world with the born-again Monaro, Holden added the final gloss yesterday with the HSV Coupe 4 on view at the Sydney Motor Show.

An all-wheel-drive super Monaro with 270kW of power, the HSV Coupe was ushered in under tight security as Holden continued its tradition of catching its rivals off guard.

Unlike the HRT 427 show car that was cancelled after 50 orders had already been taken, outgoing Holden chairman and managing director, Peter Hanenberger, has promised the HSV Coupe 4 will enter full production.
http://carsguide.news.com.au/sydneymotorsh...2-28977,00.html

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Price is one reason GM is not using the HSV sheetmetal or rather the HSV add ons. Second the ground effects would not be in keeping with Pontiac's new clean sheetmetal. IMO it would be a nice option package for 05.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts