GM Inside News Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I belive that is the one from Motor Trend, and yes it was just a concept.
If they do any of that styling on the GTO, Ill cry. That wing makes me wana hurt people. I cant stant the one on the car now, and now its gunna get an STi/Evo wing?
I think Pontiac should just stick to the GXP program, even if it would just be a mouthfull of leters. GTO GXP.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You don’t need to tell me how long GM takes to make a car… they are uber slow… I live this fact. :-D
GM NA didnt make the gto, holden did. FYI the monaro was made in record time i.e. could of months from sketch to reality. Only about 20 people in holden knew about the (out of work or own time) project and no one in ford had a clue, even the top didnt know. Those that knew were Mike Simcoe (now promoted to design daewoo and holden and GM asia) and a select few he trusted. COUPLE OF MONTHS FROM SKETCH TO REALITY.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am not a Direct employee of GM (anymore) I do however work for GM. I am very hard on GM becasue of this relationship. I see things that they could do and don't.

Not everybody inside GM knows every reason for why they do things... its a little bigger than that ya know... 
GM NA didnt really do the design. Holden done the design, with directions from GM NA. BTW the guy that designed the gto and its fron end (Mike Simcoe) hates how it looks. But what can you do, it a Pontiac image.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well here is a little concept I played with (even though the Monaro is a far better looking car). Not to my taste really but jsut playing with nostalga.

As for a few comments in this thread I would love to know what they are based on. Opel Omega does not share the Commodore platform. The Commodore platform is an Australian designed platform to suit local conditions. Most Euro cars fall apart on our roads. Look it up online, the cars don't even share the same wheelbase let alone anything else.

Someone mentioned the fuel tank mod is a good thing. Why? You now have less trunk space and some American rule saying the tank in that spot is safer. Strange how we don't see any cars bursting into flames after rear end accidents here hey. Putting the tank where it is puts it up at a level that a side impact will take the full brunt of the vehicle hitting it. Down low has never been a problem here. I seem to find more pictures online of USA cars on fire after accidents than ours. Coincidence?

IMO the GTO would have been better off left with the AUstralian GTO body kit and look. It is a much more aggressive car.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
#1, the judge concept is alright. I still think that there should be more of a hood extractor then a hood scoop, i.e. 03 Cobra, 91-92 Z28, 04 Mustang V6. I think that looks more agressive then the hood scoop, and it fits the lines better. The AutoX kit should be standard on the 05.

As for the Gas tank, US regulations have it that the gas tank needs to be relocated to pass crash standards. Blame Ralph Nader for the relocated gas tank. Cars like the Pinto and Crown Vic were prone to exploding after a rear end collision. Many cops that drive the large Crown Vic were killed in thoes type of crashes.
Moving the tank now alows dual sided exhaust for both Holden and Pontiac, which is said to improve the power some 40kW. Cant do the conversion in my head, but I say about 20hp? Its bad that we do lose trunk or boot space, but thats the price you pay for performance and astetics. I personaly cant stand the single side. I know its dual, but I need more. If the gas tank wasnt relocated, the GTO would have not made it here to the US. What I dont understand is how come the Ute didnt come first, since the gas tank is already relocated? I heard about a large price increase do to truck tarifs. I belive the Uts SS with a LS1 300hp 6spd and moderatly optioned is around 20k US dollars. Wana talk about a steal?

And yes, the HSV models do look good. I would like to see the Coupe4 HSV AWD body style end up on the GTO as I love the look of the big bulging fenders. That would give a larger wheel well so we can fit larger tires. I think that if the Monaro came over here with literaly just a rebadge, there might have been more of an up roar? Maybe not. That plate on the front looks like junk... which leads me to my link in my sig. :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh to have the prices you guys have on these cars. $20,000 for the ute and they would sell one to almost every person that walked into the showroom. Instead the SS ute is about $40,000.

I wonder if the gas tanks would have been relocated if it was just citizens dieing, not cops.

I can relate to the more power less trunk idea though with true duals as I am currently thinking of cutting the lower trunk out of my Fiero so the new 3800sc motor can get a better exhaust system that will still comply with DB and emissions testing that I have to pass.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Originally posted by AusFiero@Apr 15 2004, 02:14 PM
Oh to have the prices you guys have on these cars. $20,000 for the ute and they would sell one to almost every person that walked into the showroom. Instead the SS ute is about $40,000.

I wonder if the gas tanks would have been relocated if it was just citizens dieing, not cops.

I can relate to the more power less trunk idea though with true duals as I am currently thinking of cutting the lower trunk out of my Fiero so the new 3800sc motor can get a better exhaust system that will still comply with DB and emissions testing that I have to pass.
Did you have to convert your Fiero to RHD?

Ken

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by kmacleod+Apr 15 2004, 04:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kmacleod @ Apr 15 2004, 04:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AusFiero@Apr 15 2004, 02:14 PM

Did you have to convert your Fiero to RHD?

Ken [/b][/quote]
Yeah all cars under 30 years old have to be converted to RHD. My current Fiero is a crossover conversion which retains the LHD geomtry underneath but is RHD inside by using a chain drive from the RH side to the LH side. Suprisingly better feel ont he road than my last Fiero which was a full RHD conversion.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Man with those cars, you don’t have to worry about what happens. The new GTO does look like a best case performance two door Grand Prix, but a GTO? The jellybean rear end has to go! The large front end with its high hood and light cluster saves this car. I think the problem could be solved if the rear passenger side window in the back didn’t start to taper off on the bottom and follow the bulging body panel as it rises to the rear end, it drives me nuts! A new design should have built on the old GTO look in my opinion. If you didn’t tell someone with was the new GTO, they would never come up with it. There is nothing inherited form the GTO on the outside. I guess Pontiac was thinking marketing this as a GTO to inform buyers that there is some serious power under the hood. GTO seems more of a performance package than any evolution whose lineage can be traced. That being said, I have to say it’s an overall nice car because of its killer performance and with an interior that is definitely and improvement on Pontiac’s part. In the end I think the performance is going to define this car over its looks, at least for the time being. This car is eventually going to be a steal on used car lots and I wouldn’t doubt if I try to end up in one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It looks better than some of the mods I've seen from other 2004 owners. I think they will have to toy with numerous designs to get the scoops right on that hood. I haven't seen a design that I think looks right yet. IMO they should be large, wide, and toward the front, but that is without seeing a design. I will stick with my stock hood until I see something that works.
B)

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.