GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was pissed at the design at first too. GET OVER IT. 350 horse rear wheel drive performance and a new design in a couple years. Until then enjoy the GTO sleeper and scare the hell outta the pony boys with your "grand am" look alike. I think it's even better that way.

·
Registered
633 Posts
UUUG like talking to children. My point was that the GTO names deserves more than to look like a GTP. I didn't say make it a retro car the the t-bird or VW. (See reading comprehension.)

I have yet to talk to a person (who designs cars) that thinks that this GTO is a good or strong GTO pressence.

I know they will be bringing a new GTO out, I have seen it, I see it everyday in fact. All I am saying is that the GTO deserved more.

As for buying a GTO as a sleeper i'll keep my current sleeper and enjoy the look on there faces when they don't see ME comming :D

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@Apr 8 2004, 12:14 PM
UUUG like talking to children. My point was that the GTO names deserves more than to look like a GTP. I didn't say make it a retro car the the t-bird or VW. (See reading comprehension.)

I have yet to talk to a person (who designs cars) that thinks that this GTO is a good or strong GTO pressence.

I know they will be bringing a new GTO out, I have seen it, I see it everyday in fact. All I am saying is that the GTO deserved more.

As for buying a GTO as a sleeper i'll keep my current sleeper and enjoy the look on there faces when they don't see ME comming :D
And the point we've been trying to make is that it's COMPLETELY in line with the history of the GTO for it to look very similar to the current mid-size Pontiac. At least now it's a totally different car. There were only a handful of visible parts in prior GTOs that were different from the current Tempest/Lemans/Ventura of the day. And now suddenly in your mind, it's a crime if it's got the same basic styling elements of the front end of the Grand Prix.

The fact is that we either got the GTO that's the same as the Monaro with a Pontiac front end on it now, or wait a couple of years for them to redesign it as something else. These things don't happen overnight, and I think you're in the minority if you'd rather not have the car at all.

·
Registered
633 Posts
nikivee, because I hate to see GM do things halfazzd, look at the many times they've had to do something really cool with anniversary additions and we end up getting some crap stickers. I have seen lots of great cars that GM has made, yet never pushes to production. GM is such a scared company, never pushing the bounds. They wait for someone else to do something, and then react.

Melvin I guess the front end wouldn’t bother me if it had any character or balls. The GTP is an outdated look and frankly not up to the GTO name. The current GTO just doesn’t have that punch that it needs to make an impact. Its typical GM, ease in, careful not to make a ripple.

You don’t need to tell me how long GM takes to make a car… they are uber slow… I live this fact. :-D

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@Apr 8 2004, 01:26 PM
Melvin I guess the front end wouldn’t bother me if it had any character or balls. The GTP is an outdated look and frankly not up to the GTO name. The current GTO just doesn’t have that punch that it needs to make an impact. Its typical GM, ease in, careful not to make a ripple.

You don’t need to tell me how long GM takes to make a car… they are uber slow… I live this fact. :-D
Obviously, based on your posts, you are connected with GM design in some way. Is there any way you could post your own ideas for what the front end should have looked like? I think we can agree that full sheetmetal changes would have postponed the car more than most of us would like, but the front end was something they did change. Other than some subltle hood scoops, I'm don't really what could have been done to the front end that would have been more appropriate and not cartoonish. Ground effect skirts are NOT an improvement on ANY car.

I'd be interested in seeing your ideas. Then again, if you are with GM design, maybe you can't post any of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe geronimo wishes he worked for GM and wants us to believe that as well. Until he posts some evidence, i don't think he has a clue what he's talking about.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am not a Direct employee of GM (anymore) I do however work for GM. I am very hard on GM becasue of this relationship. I see things that they could do and don't.

Not everybody inside GM knows every reason for why they do things... its a little bigger than that ya know... :rolleyes:

PS: I have no intention of "proving" where I work, so please don't ask. If you chose to listen to what I say fine. I am careful not to say to much as I do like my job very much, and I would not want to give away an of GM's future intentions.

·
Registered
633 Posts
:I am not a Direct employee of GM (anymore) I do however work for GM" Those who know will know what this means. I did work for GM for 6 years, I have NO complaints as to how they treated me, though I don't care for how they have worked very hard to keep wages down. The top wage in my field hasn't gone up in over 10 years. Though last I check those houses sure have :rolleyes: oh well its a labor of love I guess.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Monaro had a really nice front end. Had Pontac just kept the Monaro fascia and then split the grille I think it would have looked very sharp. The HSV GTO fascia was nice, too.

The Pontiac dual-port grille is not so bad, as I find 98-02 Grand Prixs good-looking. I think the lower part of the GTO fascia is what looks too generic and boring. They could have kept the Monaro's fog lights and it would have been nice. Or hell, make it look even more like a Grand Prix and put a split gray piece of plastic there. But to me, the current bottom part of the front fascia just looks like they didn't try

·
Registered
556 Posts
There is no GTO "Judge" at this time. Official or Un-Official. FYI: I will tell you that Pontiac WILL NOT bring back a GTO called the JUDGE.

The reason is that the JUDGE name was only a 60's thing playing off of the Laugh-In show "Here come da Judge" skit with Sammy Davis Jr. Today the JUDGE would have no tie-in whatsoever for anything going today. No one would be able to identify with it, except old GTO diehards. And if your trying to sell and compete for Audi, BMW, etc. owners, they most certaintly would not get it. :D SLP or some other aftermarket company MAY bring out a Judge model, but certainly not Pontiac.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Saw a picture of a new gto judge on a web site, just can't find it again. I was told it would have 400+ horses under the hood , with a large wing like the old judges had and wild stipes on it. Can anyone help? :bounce:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by patscircus@Apr 13 2004, 02:48 PM
Saw a picture of a  new gto judge on a web site, just can't find it again. I was told it would have 400+ horses under the hood , with a large wing like the old judges had and wild stipes on it. Can anyone help? :bounce:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by patscircus+Apr 13 2004, 03:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (patscircus @ Apr 13 2004, 03:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-patscircus@Apr 13 2004, 02:48 PM
Saw a picture of a  new gto judge on a web site, just can't find it again. I was told it would have 400+ horses under the hood , with a large wing like the old judges had and wild stipes on it. Can anyone help? :bounce:
[/b][/quote]
Go to :www.ultimategto.com.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts