GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
It looks okay, but putting one aggressive addition to a mostly bland car won't do much...but the scoops don't look bad...but IMHO, they don't really add much to the design...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't get the big fuss about the hood scoops, that's not in style anymore, I don't care that it's a GTO tradition, the car itself is already way out tradition, so why even. I think the car could use a bit more styling, but this is not it, the back looks better though. If there's anyone that's not buying it because it's missing scoops then they are pretty damn picky and don't deserve such an awsome car.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Pontiac,

Hood scoops aren't exactly the "rage" now, even though many GTO enthusiasts tell you. Please make the hood scoop a delete item. Thanks!

*It seems like they tried to make the GTO look more like the Firebird. Not a good idea. Firebird/Trans Am had sharp, crisp lines while the GTO has sleek, curvy lines. Keep the design the same Pontiac, but add new features like a navigation and OnStar! :D

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Last year, it was all "PUT A HOOD SCOOP ON DAMNIT"

Now it's "EWWW HOOD SCOOPS ARE BAD"

I think the correct response here is, "We asked for a nice functional bad-*** hood scoop. And you gave us this... this crap. Bad Pontiac, bad."

·
Registered
776 Posts
The location of the airbox would pretty much preclude any use of functional hood scoops, so I guess I don't see the point.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Mar 11 2004, 04:52 AM
The location of the airbox would pretty much preclude any use of functional hood scoops, so I guess I don't see the point.
not really... the SS camaro had a very weird routing of the hood to get the air to the air box. Its not gunna be "ram air" as we all think of it as... but as long as the GTO has them, I guess its just cooler?

IMO, if they were gunan go with scoops, I wish they did something like the new Cobras and have that reversed look.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Holy bad scan job...... is this 1995???

Glad their fixing the bumpers, that will mean they'll meet canadian standards and be available up here soon!

As for the scoop, I think I'd like it... gotta see it in person....
(I like it on the grand am SC/T)....

133 Posts
aww, it still looks like a dolled up Grand AM/Prix. Similiar to how the Lexus RX300 is a dolled up RAV4.

C'mon give us style, design...not re-badges.

****, I heard that because of EPA regulations, this thing has 100 less HP than the Monaro it is based off of, sold in Australia.

I still can't compare this vehicle with the 1964 GTO and the 1965-1967 GTO's.

:angry: :angry: :angry: B) <_< <_< <_<

·
Registered
76 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the scoops on the GTO, but then it doesn't need them. It's sickening to hear all of the complaints of the current car. A few years ago everyone was begging for it to come over from Australia, and now that it's here it's not good enough(for some). Pontiac has a niche all to itself and GM should exploit that fact. There is no other mid-size four seat coupe that can run with or handle as well as this machine. It has been compared to the BMW 330i in some publications. And there are some who would wager that this is GM's best car, PERIOD.

In a way, maybe GM should've named this car the Grand Prix. It's nowhere near as brutal as the GTO's of yore, and it never will be!!! This cars roots are those of refinement. The GTO is GM's second attempt to sell the Opel Omega over here(its first being the Cadillac Catera). This car has been a great handler on every continent it's been sold on, but it's in Australia where it acquired more power. First, in the Commodore sedans and secondly in a 1997 Commodore coupe concept that became the Monaro. The GTO is basically a Monaro CV8 with more hp., smaller tires(curiously) and fuel tank modifications(it really needed those). This 10 year old platform is one of GM's best and they are hard at work on its replacement. From what I've read, all of you naysayers go out and take a test drive and you'll forget about what it looks like on the outside.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
****, I heard that because of EPA regulations, this thing has 100 less HP than the Monaro it is based off of, sold in Australia.

You heard wrong......our version overhere actually has more horsepower than the Australian one.

keyjack5024.....I agree, with everthing you said except for the naming the car the Grand Prix, because then everyone would be crying about the car NOT being called the GTO.

I guess that it's possible to please non of the people none of the time......

What they should have done is add a supercharger to the Grand Am and just pissed off everyone and be done with it.....why be happy that GM is once again offering a 350hp RWD car in the low $30's....they should have spent the money they used on bringing the GTO over on re-designing the Aztek..or something worthwile like that...

What really bugs me is that everyone begs and pleads for every GM car from another country to come over here, and when it's finally done, and done right, the people start moaning...If GM decides to bring over the Holden UTE as an El Camino, everyone is going to start bitching again.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Why is this topic listed twice? The same post was out yesterday and even has the same topic title. Reduntant topics lead to less interesting threads.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by NewMexico_Sunset_On_RT66_Yep@Mar 11 2004, 04:49 PM
aww, it still looks like a dolled up Grand AM/Prix. Similiar to how the Lexus RX300 is a dolled up RAV4.

C'mon give us style, design...not re-badges.

I still can't compare this vehicle with the 1964 GTO and the 1965-1967 GTO's.

:angry: :angry: :angry: B) <_< <_< <_<
Like MCGARRETT said, you heard wrong...
The monaro gets about 300hp, give or take. The HSV models are special vehicals and they have hp near or above the GTO.
Our GTO also costs about 10k US dollars less then if you were to buy the V8 Monaro.
and Niki...NOOO NOT THE ATTACK OF THE AQUA GTO!! heheheh j/k. Needs more bling bling!
I wish the scoops were more like the scoops on that 71(???)
And for a GTO owner that has 2 classic GTO's, I think that speaks well.
Niki, did you get a call from GM? Derf and BlueGoat got a call from GM asking how was the car, and what you would like to see.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Originally posted by dawtcalm@Mar 11 2004, 01:32 PM
Glad their fixing the bumpers, that will mean they'll meet canadian standards and be available up here soon!
Will the GTO bumpers be redesigned as early as the 2005 model year? If so, that means the GTO could potentially become available for sale in Canada as early as fall in 2004. Is this correct?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts