GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First problem is my headlights along with inside lights dim and brighten while driving. So much that people actually pulled over thinking I was the police. I was told "this is normal." Also given an internet printout of how this is normal. Second, the buttons of my radio quit lighting up so I got a new radio installed. Drove it in the dark and it still doesn't work. Dropped off my car last night. They tell me I must have an underlying problem. Hmmm... Anyone else having any of these issues???? I'm thinking electrical, but I think their thinking we're not looking for it.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Does the dimming directly correlate to the gas pedal? Meaning; when you are on the throttle, do the lights brighten.....and if you let off the gas, do the lights dim? Or is it more random than that?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I could be off, but the pulsating lights sound like an alternator problem to me.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
First problem is my headlights along with inside lights dim and brighten while driving. So much that people actually pulled over thinking I was the police. I was told "this is normal." Also given an internet printout of how this is normal. Second, the buttons of my radio quit lighting up so I got a new radio installed. Drove it in the dark and it still doesn't work. Dropped off my car last night. They tell me I must have an underlying problem. Hmmm... Anyone else having any of these issues???? I'm thinking electrical, but I think their thinking we're not looking for it.

Welcome to GMI. If you can, join TrailVoy...

http://www.trailvoy.com/

Post a thread, and wait for "the roadie" to chime in. He's a god when it comes to the GMT-360.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own an australian holden captiva sx 2010 model and the lights dim then go back to normal all the time. its when the turbo kicks in. but my left hand headlight has now blown.
have replaced 3 bulbs so far. cant find the problem. its running at 12.5volts when engine is off then 14.66volts when running. the flickering is when the idle is turning the turbo on and off for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My wife's 04 Envoy had a similiar problem, lights would flicker, dash lights and dome lamp would stay on and the door locks would sometimes not work. Our problem turned out to be the wiring harness for the rear hatch. There is a big rubber grommet/tube with wires in it for the rear wiper, defroster, lights etc... ours had about 4 broken wires in it right where the bend is. I suppose over time, those wires get stressed from opening and closing the hatch. It was a quick fix but I have had one more wire break since then. At some point, I'll have to replace an entire section of wire about a foot long becasue I'm running out of room to splice. Check yours out, pull the grommet back from either the body or the hatch and look at the wires about 6 inches on each side of the bend. Good luck. I have a photo of the broken wire somewhere, I'll see if i can find it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts