GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Not that there is anything wrong with the solstice, but I just wanted to see what this would look like. You "anti-retro" guys will hate it.

Biggest problem with the Solstice for me is I live in Nebraska where they require front license plates. Where will that go on the Solstice? I also think cars can look more aggresive with a bumper line.

Rims : I love the look of the Rally II rims. Again, I think having a "beauty ring" around the outside of the rim gives it a more muscular appearance (wider). I will admit, they may be a little too wide in this picture, but it was only my first shot.

I actually toyed around with the idea of making this a 2+2 coupe. Stretch the wheelbase a foot or so in front of the rear wheel. Add a roof panel similar to a first gen Firebird. I tried briefly, but gave up when it didn't look as good as I wanted.

Scoops : I also played around with adding some hood scoops. (Something like the '69 Trans Am scoops. Very suttle duel scoops at the front of the hood.) Again, I wasn't happy with my artistic skills so I backed them out.

Formula? : I love Firebirds and Trans Ams. (I own a '96 WS6 Trans Am.) I do believe the name has taken on a negative stigma with the general public. When you say "Trans Am" they either think '70s Disco-era black and gold (which I love, but has fallen out of fashion) or they think "high-school punk boy racer". (Not trying to offend anyone - again, I love these cars, but this is the impression I get from talking with others.) I don't believe the Formula name has this same stigma. Us older guys will recognise the connection with Formulas of the past, plus the Formula name itself hints at a performance auto.

Engine : I love V-8s, but for a car this small I can see the difficulty adding an engine that big and keeping the weight down. But I don't think 300 hp is an unfair expectation, either from a supercharged ecotek, or more likely a supercharged inline-6. (Restore the "Sprint-6" name, anyone?)

Anyway, this is the first chop I have posted to this board (or any board for that matter.) Hope you like it. If any of you more gifted individuals (Rex?) would like to try out that 2+2 coupe starting with my picture, have at it.

Steve

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Well, I'm one that hates car companies making cars that look like the same design from 30 yrs ago, but I do have to say: that is one hot car. It deserves a concept car, at least. Production? Ehh... of course, since I hate the retro-stang, you can understand why I'd say no. But it does look VERY TASTY! :p

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Nice work. I am not a big fan of retro styling.
However, GM should look at a concept like yours for two reasons. Profits and cost.
Sell a limited run of this Formula, retro the gauges, seat pattern etc, take a page from Mustang with the Bullit and Mach 1.
Just don't replace the Solstice with this concept. The Solstice is a great looking car and I hope its styling is carried forward to other Pontiacs.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i think it looks awesome man, great job and idea.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm with NSAP. Maybe modernize it, like how the '05 Stang isn't exactly a '67 (or whatever). It's a good chop, but I don't agree with it for production beyond a limited run.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Another car that is new,but looks strangely old....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts