1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possibly the sweetest American car outside of GM. :D

2005 Ford GT
Rich in history, richer in speed.

Corvettes are pedestrian by comparison. Dodge's Viper is a little too plebeian, too. When it comes to American-bred supercars, Ford's new GT smotes these lesser icons and becomes the new graven image all you gearheads should be worshipping, whether or not you can afford the stiff estimated sticker of $135,000-$150,000.

That's the current price of glory, in case you're saving up.

Ford GT

·
Registered
710 Posts
Is the Ford GT a really sweet car? Yes.
Do I feel that a limited production $150K
Ford competes with a $55K Z06? No way.

How many GTs will become daily drivers?

Do not get me wrong, I think it is awesome.
But I do not think it should be used to show
how Ford can build a better sports car than
Chevy and Dodge. Could you even imagine
the performance of a Corvette or Viper with
another $50K+ worth of add-ons? :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi@Oct 21 2003, 03:01 PM

I think a Viper would light this thing up without any add-ons. The Next gen Z06 wil also wipe it's tail lights with this thing. I think that it is a sweet car alright but $135K - $150K? gimme a break. :type:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The GT will sell well, at least till the next generation Z06 comes out. However, the car has one big drawback that will keep it from being a great car. It was designed around the shape of the GT40, a race car from another era. Because of this, the car will have bad aerodynamics, no luggage space, and will be to uncomfortable to be considered a daily driver. Not to mention that I doubt you will get a Ferrari-quality interior in this Ford built car.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by vette7294@Oct 21 2003, 01:36 PM
The GT will sell well, at least till the next generation Z06 comes out.  However, the car has one big drawback that will keep it from being a great car.  It was designed around the shape of the GT40, a race car from another era.  Because of this, the car will have bad aerodynamics, no luggage space, and will be to uncomfortable to be considered a daily driver.  Not to mention that I doubt you will get a Ferrari-quality interior in this Ford built car.
It's Fords SSR minus the trunk/bed @ over 3 times the price.

It is a limited run car right?

Don't get me wrong though I'm diggin' it :woot2: ,those tail lights I no like :(

Kudos 2 Ford 4 coming with the GT!!!..May it raise the bar and then some!!! *thumbs up*

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Originally posted by ZiggyKD@Oct 21 2003, 01:18 PM

2005 Ford GT

Corvettes are pedestrian by comparison. Dodge's Viper is a little too plebeian, too. When it comes to American-bred supercars, Ford's new GT smotes these lesser icons and becomes the new graven image all you gearheads should be worshipping, whether or not you can afford the stiff estimated sticker of $135,000-$150,000.

Ford GT
TCC : "Ferrari standing next to GT looked just like Hyundai Tiburon"-
-I love this sentence,I love GT :D
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6536

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by vette7294@Oct 21 2003, 12:36 PM
The GT will sell well, at least till the next generation Z06 comes out. However, the car has one big drawback that will keep it from being a great car. It was designed around the shape of the GT40, a race car from another era. Because of this, the car will have bad aerodynamics, no luggage space, and will be to uncomfortable to be considered a daily driver. Not to mention that I doubt you will get a Ferrari-quality interior in this Ford built car.
Check your premesis. Simply because a car is from another era does not mean that it will have worse aerodynamics than a more modern car. I know a 60's GT40 (any Mark) had better aerodynamics than a 2003 Cavalier.

A $150,000 car is usually never used as a daily driver. If your complaint is that Ford can't build a good performing daily driver, most Ford fans would point towards the next Mustang, however, that's not the topic of this thread. :type:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think the initial model years is to see the public reaction. I know they are hoping that if they can get high enough sales they will put it into regular production and the price will drop accordingly. Initially they wanted a 85k Viper Fighter, but in their infinite wisdom the board at Ford decided not to invest in new tooling for a full fledged line so it went into limited production over the targer price. I would guess by 07', 08' they will be comprable in price to a new Viper.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am impressed by the styling ,but not the performance of the GT .

The next Z-06 will have 500 HP and weight in at 3500 lbs just like the GT..
That puts the HP to WT ratio the same . But it's cost will be far less than the $150,000 for the Ford GT .

If you are gonig to build a $150,000 it better out perform a "lowly" Corvette.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Originally posted by ZiggyKD@Oct 21 2003, 01:18 PM

2005 Ford GT

Ford GT
I would not call the following about the next Z-06
pedestrian
3100-lbs
500 hp
wt to hp ratio 6.4

all this equal to the GT

If I pay for $150,000 for a car , it better be able to out run the three Corvette z-06's behind me

·
Registered
112 Posts
Horsepower isnt all its about either. The next gen Z06 may have the same amount of horsepower, but that doesn't make it the GTs equal. Don't get me wrong, I like both cars, I'm just saying :ph34r:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by daveymcdave@Oct 22 2003, 04:00 AM
Horsepower isnt all its about either. The next gen Z06 may have the same amount of horsepower, but that doesn't make it the GTs equal. Don't get me wrong, I like both cars, I'm just saying :ph34r:
what does? the price? maybe the supercharger huh? I think the Z06 will more than equal this, I think it will even out perform it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi@Oct 21 2003, 10:01 AM

The GT is not in the same league as the Z06. You won't see people comparing them. The SVT Cobra for $32k can run with a Z06, and seat 2 more in teh back. MM&FF ran 12.43 in the '03 Cobra and dynoed 448hp at crank, bone stock.

As for addons... Think about it this way. a '03 Cobra with $23k in mods would run circles around the Z06 in reverse.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
While the mid-engined layout and retro styling are big draws that the Corvette doesn't have, the biggest benefit of the GT over the Z06 is exclusivity. Sales will be limited to about 1,000 a year and the price will NOT go down to Viper levels. While the production of the Z06 is fairly limited (but still higher than those planned for the GT), a Z06 buyer has a "Corvette"...with about 30,000 copies sold each year. ANY Ford GT buyer only has to deal with up to 1,000 other GTs on the road each year...and the closest thing to a similar product (in styling) is the 35 year old "GT40," which you don't see every day either.

Performance isn't the only way to compare these cars.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Performance is only a small part of it, Last least with the GT your nieghbour probally won't have one.
I sincerly hope that it doesn't go into full production and become a car like the T-Bird too many for a "stand out" in the crowd kinda car.
Excellent performance, great looks,limited build,and retro stlying I think it all works together perfectly.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by powervette@Oct 21 2003, 06:41 PM
TCC : "Ferrari standing next to GT looked just like Hyundai Tiburon"-
-I love this sentence,I love GT :D
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6536
Gotta love automotive journalists when they get beside themselves. Calling the Z06 pedestrian, and comparing a Ferrari to a Tiburon. OAAAKAY
:type:

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Ford GT is an awesome car... Will it sell? yes.. will it sell incredibly well like beyond Ford's expectations? NO.

The car has one major major draw back. Thats its brand name .. FORD. While im not saying that FORD is a bad brand, It lacks the same level of prestige of Chevy and dodge have.. and their prestige level isnt that high either. So yeah basically if the car fails I think thats why it will. Because its 135K+ for a Ford branded car.

Change the body rebadge it as a Jaguar and watch it sell better.

The car is awesome.. its aerodynamics are actually good.. thats one of the things they talked about. That the old GT40 had aweful aerodynamics but those are problems not existant on the new GT.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Oct 22 2003, 10:25 AM
While the mid-engined layout and retro styling are big draws that the Corvette doesn't have, the biggest benefit of the GT over the Z06 is exclusivity.
Indeed. If all it were about was who performs best for the least money from the factory, the Corvette almost always wins.

But 2,500 corvettes sell a month, so you're guaranteed to see at least one every day.

Anyway if price to performance were the only criteria, who would buy the Cadillac XLR?

For 150K, though, I'd rather have another classic American car with even more exclusivity and better performance:

http://www.moslerauto.com/

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by Ultimate@Oct 22 2003, 02:32 PM
The car has one major major draw back. Thats its brand name .. FORD. While im not saying that FORD is a bad brand, It lacks the same level of prestige of Chevy and dodge have.. and their prestige level isnt that high either.
Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge are, for the most part, on equal footing when it comes to image. The only people who rank one over another are the so-called "Ford people" or "Chevy people" or "Dodge people." There's relatively little prestige to any of these brands and yet Chevrolet sold the ZR1...Dodge sells the Viper...Ford sold the "GT40." Brand is not a problem when selling ONE niche product. If Ford (or Chevy or Dodge) wanted to go head-to-head with any prestigious brand, they would fail.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts