GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Popular Mechanics Online:
Not to be outdone by Pontiac's Solstice, GM's Bowtie Boys are quietly developing their own small 2-seat sports car.
The as-yet-unnamed concept is being referred to as "Son of Corvette," as it borrows styling cues from that Chevy icon. The car is intended to be inexpensive, have an open top and be fun to drive. It has a vertical slash in the front fenders and creases that run toward the rear, similar to the Corvette. At the rear, the deck and bumper are more rounded and look less aggressive than the Corvette, but they are still sporty. Those nacelles that fit behind the headrests on the Pontiac Solstice show up on this model too. You might wonder why General Motors would develop two similar cars of the same size from different divisions. The company intends to spread its platforms around to different divisions as a way of keeping costs down.

(Full Blurb and Conceptual Computer Generated Picture Here)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
It's great to see a sign of RWD life from chevy. I'd still rather have a nomad. Can't put my family in that for a weekend getaway. :lol:
It still is an awesome idea.

·
Super Moderator
10,872 Posts
I too would much rather see a Nomad than a Solstice twin. But since the reports hint that the Nomad may be the basis for a Saab in the near future, and Chevy will be SOL for their Nomad, I'd still like to see a Kappa car at Chevy -- but not a twin of the Solstice. If anything, leave the Solstice a convertible (they haven't said they greenlighted a coupe version anyway), and let the Chevy remain a coupe only -- that should at least send coupe buyers to Chevrolet and convertible buyers to Pontiac. Or pehaps have the Chevy offered in two flavors -- as a true hardtop coupe and a lift-panel/Targa top style coupe! That sould make the car at least attractive to a large group of people.

Just some ideas -- no need to recreate a COMPLETE brand engineering scheme where every division has the same cars -- at least this way similar cars will be sold with a bit of a difference per brand to keep them unique.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm glad they are sharing the platform, i wish there were a significant difference. At least the styling looks to be different (but who wouldn't want solstice styling?) Maybe a t-top would be appropriate for the chevy instead of a convertible? At least it would be a little stiffer and better suited for track use. But it's about time domestics are putting some more products in the fun to drive category.

·
Registered
50 Posts
yay the return of the "poor mans vette" :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
They just can't let Pontiac have their day in the sun, huh? Instead of stealing the only decent car in the Pontiac lineup, why doesn't Chevy take the stupid Monaro and use that?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by Mr_Pringle@Mar 19 2004, 02:29 AM
You might wonder why General Motors would develop two similar cars of the same size from different divisions. The company intends to spread its platforms around to different divisions as a way of keeping costs down.
What I wonder is what other styles of cars are coming. I keep hearing convertible coupe, but no 2 seater coupe or 2+2...

Where are my cars, GM? Verts are limited in practicality in New England, being it can snow hear 4-5 months a year! Coupes please!

·
Registered
284 Posts
this would make sense. I mean with saturn getting one , why not chevy? I think camaro might be a good name. I know it does have a v-8, but still Camaro is too good of a name to let die. I will now barce myself for attacks lol mAYbe but a 240 hp v-6 in it?

·
Registered
524 Posts
IT's not badge engineering, but I don't think all of the Kappas should be roadsters. The market may support 1 new small conv, but two or three. That's why I liked the Nomad idea, it's in a whole different market than the Soltice, not competing with it.

-T

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by T-Keith@Mar 19 2004, 01:12 PM
IT's not badge engineering, but I don't think all of the Kappas should be roadsters. The market may support 1 new small conv, but two or three. That's why I liked the Nomad idea, it's in a whole different market than the Soltice, not competing with it.

-T
Exactly! <_<

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by Arrowhead222@Mar 19 2004, 01:25 AM
They just can't let Pontiac have their day in the sun, huh? Instead of stealing the only decent car in the Pontiac lineup, why doesn't Chevy take the stupid Monaro and use that?
because contrary to the GM propaganda, we all know which division within GM truely fuels the soul,without aussie help, and it wears a bowtie while doing it.

pontiac can keep the monaro, chevy has a home grown vette in the lineup.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts