GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Source: Popular Mechanics

Look for Chevrolet to perform a major facelift on the Monte Carlo for the 2005 model year. However, you can expect that the car's NASCAR-inspired profile will be kept intact. Up front, the grille will consist of an air intake that's larger and wider than the slit opening of today's model. The lower fascia will reduce the complexity of the crosshatch theme and present another larger air intake. Side panels in both front and rear fenders will continue with horizontal creases over the wheel openings, but those lines will be less arched. It appears that the roof design, with its wide and flowing C-pillar, will be carried over without major change. At the rear, the bumper surface will lack the indentations of the current model, and the air-deflector wing atop the trunk will offer a more horizontal, less aggressive angle to the wind.

Full Article Here

·
Registered
188 Posts
I hope they make some very necessary improvements to the Monte Carlo. I remember the Monte SS in the 80's and that car was something many young males wanted to drive. The lines we hot, the performance was sufficient and it was an awesome vehicle to drive. Nowadays, the Monte is like a castrated bull -- it's got no muscle, no style and the attempts at badging it with 'SS' without any muscle is just plain embarassing. Why doesn't GM just wait until they can get the recipe right instead of rushing a freshman to market meant to perform like a senior?

·
Registered
790 Posts
ive come to take PM's info with a grain of salt, expecially the years that they suggest.

i really hope the prediction they had on the looks of the new GMC pick up is wrong, i mean just look at it!

:unsure:

5,934 Posts
ahh, the Monte needs a complete 'frame up resto'.

I don't need tweaks, it needs an overhaul. Other stuff from GM looks cool. But the Monte still has dated materials.

:D

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
While I'm happy for Chevrolet that they have two relatively strong selling cars in the Impala and Monte Carlo, I'm completely mystified as to how they do it. They're quite dated and desperately in need of a refresh from just about every perspective.

And I want to say any update/refresh cannot possibly look worse than what's offered presently, but I fear Nesbitt et al. will prove me wrong!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I've always thought the grille was the weak point of the MC's looks. Whether it happens or not, we have '06 to look forward to!

·
Registered
316 Posts
thank goodness. i too do not know how chevy sells so many MC's. today i was following one and the back end looks like what happens to a plastic spatula when you accidentally leave on the stove or something. it's so bubbly and curvy, and it just doesn't work at all! the intimidator concept from 99 was beautiful but the production execution is one of the worst i've seen. the description for the facelift sounds like it should (hopefully) fix a lot of the design problems. unfortunately we're gonna have to wait for them to fix the rest of it...

as for that GMC, seems like just one more step to making all pickups look more and more similar.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
While not as hideous as the Aztec, the Monty won't win any beauty
contests. This car is woefully designed, and shows just how bad
things got before Lutz came on-board. Lets hope that the next
Monte will bring some dignity back to the name.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I guess im in the minority. I really like the Monte's styling. If it was RWD and V8 powered during the time of the Camaro, I would much rather have the Monte over the Camaro. I always thought it looked good? I never had any problems with it.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
The article came from Popular Mechanics? What's so mechanical about a facelift?

From the front the car doesn't look so bad, it's the rear end I hope they change; I can't stand those brake lights. Personally I prefer the conservative styling of yesteryear when the Monte Carlo was competing against the 1989-1997 Ford Thunderbirds. Between those two though I would probably want a T-Bird, but that's just me.

As for a RWD V8, I say go for it, but it's something that should have been done ten years ago.

·
Registered
90 Posts
MC will have a 5.3 V8 with D.O.D. in 06 and then go to RWD in 08. :bounce:

The Grand Prix will get it a bit earlier though :angry:

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The current Monte is a pretty good car, and I still kind of like the styling. But what I would really like to see is a rear end smoothing out, a higher quality interior, padded door panals and armrests, and a switch to the 3500 engine as the base motor. And hopefully GM has figured out how to make a trouble free steering system by now as everything I have driven lately by the General has had clunky, thunky steering. The updated intermediate steering shaft grease seems to help for about a year and then it's back. I am waiting patiently before buying one to see if they get the problem licked.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I love the current Monte's looks. However FWD and a no v8 option has kept me from even considering buying it. Can't wait for rwd in 08 :)

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I also like the current Monte Carlo's looks a lot. FWD and V6 is one of the main reasons that I bought it.
I could have bought a Camaro at the time. I didn't want that.

·
Registered
760 Posts
My poor car takes so much abuse... :unsure:

I guess it is a matter of opinion, But I never tought it would stoop so low to be compared to an aztec. :( Oh well.

I still like the car but I always like to see what they will come out with next,and just like everyone I would love a rwd V8 :) but I only belive it will be FWD V8.

As a side note Rex I didn't know you owned a 6th Gen Monte, do you also vist 2000montecarlo.com ? Just curious.

Joe

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Here's some news that may shock some posters here:
The current Monte Carlos SS is faster than the 1980s one.

It actually has the same amount of torque (225lb ft) and 20 more horsepower than the L-69 305 V-8. Surprisingly perhaps, it weighs slightly more than the '83-'87 vintage, but it consistenly runs in the high middle 15 second range. I've seen two magazine tests where the SS runs below 16.0, but most tests of it are around 16.2 in the quarter mile. Anyway you slice it, the current model has a slight edge.

The early three speed models seem to have been best at the drags. Hot Rod magazine decried the 4 speed THM 200R auto and 3.73:1 drivetrain when it debuted in '85 because they claimed the THM350/3.42:1 was actually faster on the strip due to the THM350's superior strength and quicker shifts. Popular Hot Rodding pushed the '83 to a 15.7 e.t. by holding it in gear till 5800rpm when the valves started floating. Surprising that the L-69 had a god awful amount of valve duration. Something like 328degrees intake. For perspective, the '68 Olds 442 400 was running 286 degrees standard and the very hairy W-30 I think was about the same as the L-69 305. Anyway, the THM200 wasn't really designed to withstand abuse, as owners of turbo Regals of that era are all too aware.

Another funny thing about the current SS is that we expect it to be this musclecar when it started life as a soft and squishy 'personal luxury' car. Handling was advanced quite a bit on the '73, but if you wanted a hot intermediate in the 1970s they had the Laguna S-3 to sell you.

It appears the '83 SS model permanently altered the people's perception of the Monte Carlo. Also, the notion of a two door luxury car just doesn't exist anymore, so if it has two doors, I guess we think it should be a sporting model. No more Coupe de Villes for us apparently.

I've kind of gotten used to the Monte Carlo. The way the rear corners jut farther out than the middle reminds me of late 60's cars - think of the Chevelle or Buick Riviera. Unlike some here, I like it from the back, but not the front, mostly because of the hood. At the 2001 auto show circuit GM had a display that depicted something I've thought of for years now: they retain the transverse engine but put it behind the axle instead of in front. You get rid of the space savings, although on the other hand you can get rid of most of that copious front overhang so overall length doesn't increase. It gives the car a more traditional look, where b pillar doesn't go all the way to the front axle. You retain the mechanical efficiency and weight savings of front drive as well as the better traction but get a more "expensive" looking car that appears to be rear drive.

If it had a small V-8 most of us would probably be happy with that. Remember that rear drive is probably going to mean (heavy) independent rear suspension, and the car will likely weigh another 500lbs above the current model, so much of the extra hp will be used up dragging the heavier car around. I must say I can't contemplate a 5.3L front driver. Seems like you'd be burning up transaxles at quite a rate with 325lb/ft of torque to play with. Maybe they'll give it a 2.19:1 final drive to to keep from breaking things. You'd think torque steer would be awful too, but then again Cadillac pulls it off.

On the topic of manual transmission, I was noticing the Dodge Stratus 2 door when I was at the 2004 Auto Show and was surprised at how appealing it was. It seemed like a well kept secret and I couldn't figure out why they'd give the NEON the turbo treatment and not this slick looking stratus coupe. I suppose it would be heresy on a GM site to talk Dodge Stratus, but it has a 5 speed manual available and the same 200hp in R/T form as the SS. I'm puzzled why you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Monte Carlo, yet this smooth and sexy stratus two door is a relatively rare find. It's also cheaper than the Monte Carlo SS. You can get the full R/T package for $21,000 with incentives. On the other hand, I couldn't convince myself to buy it. Maybe Dodge would have more success if they labeled their NASCAR racers with big "Stratus" decals. Evidently the NASCAR angle pays dividends for Chevy, with all the "Jeff Gordon" edition SS cars. Chevy isn't afraid to push the boundaries of taste with those massive checkered flag decals and two tone paint jobs. You can criticize them as 'tacky,' but they're popular and appeal to the latent adolescent in all of us.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts