GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT - The 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe is the high-performance model in the Cobalt family of coupes and sedans that will debut in the fourth quarter of 2004. The Cobalt SS Supercharged builds upon the expressive design and dynamic driving experience of the Cobalt Coupe and Coupe SS.

“The Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe was developed to appeal to the tuner enthusiast,” said Pete Langenhorst, Chevrolet Cobalt marketing director. “We engineered from the very beginning all the key components to deliver an exciting driver’s high performance sport coupe – straight from the factory.”

Strong foundation - Body structure, chassis, suspension
The Cobalt was created on a strong foundation. The rigid lower-dominant body structure is engineered as a single unit for mass efficiency and stiffness. The underbody uses high-strength steel as welded members in strategic locations for maximum strength, structural integrity, mass optimization and crashworthiness.

The Cobalt’s suspension tuning was refined at Germany’s famous Nürburgring, one of the world’s most challenging road courses with more than 170 turns in nearly 13 miles.

Cobalt SS Supercharged features a strut-type front suspension, semi-independent torsion beam rear suspension, and increased diameter front and rear stabilizer bars with tuned suspension bushings. In addition, the chassis and springs were stiffened, the spring rates and damping were specially tuned and the shock strut valving was modified for a responsive, sport suspension feel. The monotube rear shocks with 33-millimeter pistons are larger in diameter than those found on standard Cobalts. The coupe’s ride height also has been reduced by 10 millimeters. The electric power steering also is tuned for increased driver feedback.

Large brakes and wheels
Cobalt SS Supercharged features four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes. The front disc rotors are 11.6 inches in diameter, which is approximately 1 inch larger than the rotors on standard Cobalt models. The rear drum brakes standard in other Cobalts were also replaced with disc brakes with 10.6-inch rotors. They are mounted on an all-new rear axle assembly that incorporates revised suspension geometry.

The SS Supercharged features larger, five-bolt wheel hubs, brake calipers and brake pads. The larger calipers and brake pads allow greater braking capacity and are proven performance parts found in other high-performance GM vehicles.

Cobalt SS Supercharged features the segment’s leading wheel size with 18-inch forged-steel alloy wheels and P215/45R18 Z-rated performance tires.

High-performance powertrain
The Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe features a race-inspired Ecotec 2.0-liter supercharged four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission. Cobalt benefited from GM Racing’s successful Ecotec-powered cars competing in the NHRA Summit Sport Compact Racing Series with significant learnings transferred during the development of the Cobalt.

The Ecotec 2.0L SC four-cylinder engine delivers 205 horsepower at 5600 rpm and 200 lb.-ft. of torque at 4400 rpm. Compared to the Ecotec 2.2-liter I-4, the cam timing was altered significantly to raise the mid-range torque and to match it with the top-end power.

The engine includes an Eaton M62 helical roots-type supercharger and features an air-to-water intercooler to reduce the temperature of air entering the engine. The supercharger produces a maximum boost pressure of 12 pounds per square inch (psi).

The Ecotec 2.0L SC is mated to a five-speed manual transmission. The 240-millimeter clutch assembly is larger on the 2.0-liter supercharged I-4 than the other naturally aspirated Ecotecs. The five-speed has close-ratio gearing that is tailored to the power band of the 2.0-liter engine. To improve acceleration the final drive ratio is also shorter at 4.05:1. A short-throw shifter quickens the shifts and provides a more positive feel as well. The shifter’s travel is approximately 1 inch shorter than the shifter found in standard Cobalt models. Equal length transmission half shafts are also utilized to address torque steer in this front-drive car.

Distinctive design and features
The exterior styling of the Cobalt SS Supercharged complements the performance aspects of the car. The front fascia features a large, deep air inlet and the rear fascia has a cutout for the large, chromed exhaust tip. Along with revised rocker moldings, the enhanced bodywork of the SS Supercharged visually lowers the coupe 1 inch. Halogen fog lamps are also included.

The Cobalt Supercharged SS comes standard with a unique, aggressive rear decklid spoiler. The coupe will offer five exterior body colors including Rally Yellow, Black, Orange Metallic, Victory Red and Arrival Blue Metallic.

The interior was also modified to complement the performance characteristics of the Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe. The accelerator pedal was redesigned to enable heel-and-toe driving to improve driver feedback and response. The interior also features titanium-faced speedometer, tachometer and gauges in the instrument cluster, and an A pillar-mounted boost gauge to monitor supercharger performance.

The interior color is Ebony with satin nickel accents on the instrument panel, shifter base and doors. The front leather seats include color-keyed perforated inserts, driver-side manual lumbar adjuster, adjustable head restraint, and passenger-side seatback map pocket. In addition, there is a 60/40 split-bench rear seat with color-keyed inserts and a trunk pass-through.

Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe offers a long list of standard features including air conditioning; power windows and locks; remote keyless entry; tilt steering wheel with mounted audio and cruise controls; electric rear defogger; CD player; MP3 playback; seven-speaker Pioneer premium sound system; and driver information center. Available features include side head curtain air bags, power sunroof, XM Satellite Radio and OnStar.

Cobalt SS Supercharged – Preliminary Specifications

Body structure: unibody construction with extensive use of high-strength steel
Wheelbase (in / mm): 103.3 / 2624
Length (in / mm): 180.5 / 4584
Width (in/mm): 67.9 / 1725
Engine: Ecotec 2.0L supercharged DOHC I-4
Horsepower (hp/kw @ rpm): 205/153 @ 5600
Torque (lb-ft/Nm @ rpm): 200/272 @ 4400
Driveline: front-wheel drive
Transmission: FGP 5-speed manual
Clutch (mm): 240
Gear Ratios:
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
Reverse
Final Drive Ratio: 4.05:1
Brakes: disc front / disc rear, anti-lock brake system
Suspension
Front:strut-type with stabilizer bar
Rear: semi-independent, torsion beam
Wheel size: 18-inch
Tire size: P215/45R-18 Z-rated performance tires

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Well so much 4 the much hyped 220hp and 6 speed tranny...4 now @least <_< .

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by casket_demon@Apr 2 2004, 05:14 PM
Well so much 4 the much hyped 220hp and 6 speed tranny...4 now @least <_< .
yeah, with a clean-sheet car they had a good opportunity to throw in a 6-speed and a few more horses. woulda been helpful in thrashing cars like the acura RSX and hyundai tiburon (which already have a 6-speed), not to mention the ever-present civic.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Quote--"semi-independent torsion beam rear suspension"

I know these are pretty prevalent, but I thought that GM would be up for something better with thier new platforms.

Also, the FGP trans is the same one in the ION, isn't it??

I hope that these things don't drag down the cars redeeming qualities too much.

This car is leagues better than the last generation Cavalier, but heres to hoping
that the turbo and redesigned rear suspension (and the 6 speed) are here for
2006!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Originally posted by casket_demon@Apr 2 2004, 12:14 PM
Well so much 4 the much hyped 220hp and 6 speed tranny...4 now @least  <_< .
they see what is happening in canada,insurance companies are dropping "tunner cars". it is only a matter of time the HP race will attract the insurance companies like happened in the late 60s were you could not sell a high performance car because no one could afford the insurance causing GM to sell insurance to help sell big block corvettes

·
Registered
314 Posts
Originally posted by Maetrix66@Apr 2 2004, 05:54 AM
Quote--"semi-independent torsion beam rear suspension"

I know these are pretty prevalent, but I thought that GM would be up for something better with thier new platforms.

Also, the FGP trans is the same one in the ION, isn't it??

I hope that these things don't drag down the cars redeeming qualities too much.

This car is leagues better than the last generation Cavalier, but heres to hoping
that the turbo and redesigned rear suspension (and the 6 speed) are here for
2006!
Id say it's possible considering that the first year model usually is used to work out all the bugs.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Still say they need to offer an automatic, preferably a 5-speed. They would be able to sell more if they did. Plus, for those that drive in city traffic, automatics are the only way to go. With the extra power, that would make it the perfect weekday/weekend car.

:woot2:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Originally posted by jfnz24@Apr 2 2004, 06:51 PM
Still say they need to offer an automatic, preferably a 5-speed. They would be able to sell more if they did. Plus, for those that drive in city traffic, automatics are the only way to go. With the extra power, that would make it the perfect weekday/weekend car.

:woot2:
No auto on this baby! Just like there's no auto on the SRT, Evo, STi, etc. They'll sell all that they make just like this. If you want an automatic, get the non-supercharged SS.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm really disappointed in the HP numbers and the fact that it doesn't have a 6-speed :argue: I do love the 18-inch tires tho! I'm gonna go check one out this fall/winter. I just wish they'd take off the gloves and put the SC 2.4L in it that was in the Nomad concept!

·
Registered
112 Posts
You know, as much as the s/ced SS seems nice I actually like the non-s/ced SS model more. You get a larger engine 2.4L vs. 2L and although you get 205hp with the s/ced model the non-s/ced model gets 170hp without any power-adders, thus my thinking that I could mod a 2.4 to equal the s/ced 205 with just some simple, cheap mods without the s/cer and if I ever wanted a s/cer or turbo *I'd rather have a turbo by far* I would romp to Hahn automotive and drop a t/cer in there and get way more than the s/ced SS's numbers. Hahn's already got turbo's for the 2.2L that happly boast a 2.2 to over 275hp, with a 2.4 with VVT you should expect even higher numbers.

Actually if the non-s/ced SS gets the same little treats *audio system, aggessive suspension treatment and seats* I be more than happy to plop down the cash for that one, plus the non-s/ced model will probably be a good 2-3grand cheaper too *guessing 18 thou or so*. Thats 2-3 grand I can use for new headers, exhaust and a ton of other goodies to make the 2.4 stronger than a s/ced 2L.

As far as the s/ced SS, I'm not very impressed *should have been the 2.2 or 2.4 in there* thou if you have read up on the Ion Red Line the motor actually makes closer to 225hp than the stated 205hp # so those that are sad about the low hp# need not be to worried. Still will get its butt kicked by a SRT-4 *but not the SE-R, MazdaSpeed, Si, anything else you throw at it* but good God the build quality is crap on that car and its a old and I mean old platform thats at the end of its life. Its the 5-speed that worries me, if its the same as the Red Lines the gear spacing is really bad which kills the potential of the motor thus bad accl. times. If they fix that prob. it should be a very worthy car and just a note: why the heck does a econo car need a 6-speed manny. Doesn't the EVo have a 5-speed, its the STi that has the extra gear yet the EVO does fine with a 5-speed don't you think?

2nd best isn't always bad when you have as much comp. as this market has and I'd much rather be driving a Cobalt SS than that joke of a car the Honda Civic Si, wouldn't you? ;)

I'll just get in line now for the non-s/ced SS thank you! :)

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
A bit disappointing. It's another "just good enough to compete" effort from GM. Nothing class leading here - especially since this probably will be as good as it gets for the next 3-4 years for the Colbalt.

Mark

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Disappointing I think not. They dynoed a brand new, not even broken in Ion RL and got 197hp to the wheels. Thats 230 at the crank, and its not even warmed up. Disappointing only to SRT4 owners, but the SS offers an interior levels above what the Neon does. Not to mention in a coupe form.
Other then Dodge, there is nothing in this class that can perform as well as this car. Factory power adder combined with an all forged engine, this car has plenty of room to grow.
I dont see how a 6spd or a 5spd makes much of a difference. Better then a 4spd auto.
Only thing I would like to see is instead of a supercharger, I would like to see a turbo. Turbos are more popular with this segment.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think they probably went for the supercharger just on the basis that it reduced the turbo lag and is thought to be more reliable. I still agree tho, that it's gonna take a good chunk out of the aftermarket industry by choosing the supercharger. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
12PSI and it's only making 200HP? It better be throwing that to the wheels, or this thing's not gonna be received well by the tuner crowd. I really thought the Ecotec motor was more potent than that. In N/A trim, it must only be producing around 130hp. The Ford Zetec engine family is making better power N/A with better fuel economy and lower emissions, but I guess that also comes from the fact that the Ecotec design is pretty old, whereas the Zetec is constantly being updated.

I can forgive the lack of a 6-speed, because it isn't really making enough power to justify anything more at this point. I don't see a lot of potential for more than 250hp with the stock blower, and that's if the motor is properly built like that of the SRT-4.

If it's light enough and underrated, it might hang with a stock WRX. But that's not very impressive for a tuner car anymore. Does GM have a new 4cyl in the pipeline, or at least an overhaul for the Ecotec? This should've had a s/c 2.4, which could've made it on par with the SRT-4. Oh well, maybe GM will realize the importance of this market segment and create a proper performance group ala SVT and SRT. And don't bother with the argument that they have Pontiac for that, because it's not even close to being the same thing.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I would not be dissapointed. I had a feeling Chevy was going to do this with the Cobalt SS. Why? Answer: KAPPA. Something is comming from Chevy down the road on the Kappa platform. Thats when you will get the SS 2.4 screamer, on a RWD platform. Plus the Cobalt SS still allows room for the tuners to do their thing which is what they are about.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
maybe rwd would have been better. then chevy can say its going back to some of its roots. but this is right on target. if the interior quality is as good as it looks then it could be a real winner. as for the supercharger, its different. in a world full of turbos why not? i think its a nice car.

chevy should put in a continuously variable transmission onto the base model so it can satisfy the save the save the enviroment crowd along with a hybrid to compete with the civic hybrid. there is alot chevy can do with this car. its so far ahead of the cavileer.

the only way chevy can screw up with this car is by charging more than a $1000 over the price of a civic.

Alan

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by usa1@Apr 2 2004, 09:08 PM
A bit disappointing. It's another "just good enough to compete" effort from GM. Nothing class leading here - especially since this probably will be as good as it gets for the next 3-4 years for the Colbalt.

Mark
just good enough to compete? it blows every FWD import out of the water. Domestically it only lags behind the SRT-4

·
Registered
302 Posts
i'm sorry but if the car performs anything like the ion redline it's going to compete....right on par with a 95 neon ACR and handle almost as good...

the main reason the SRT-4's so succesful is because of the amount of torque that's available almost from off idle and whe the turbo catches it's like an extra kick in the pants

the supercharged ecotec engine is nice but why they destroked it and kept it from reaching it's full potential at about 7 thousand RPM's is beyond me

like someone said...it's another "good enough" effort from GM just like the GTO...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by Z28x+Apr 3 2004, 11:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Z28x @ Apr 3 2004, 11:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-usa1@Apr 2 2004, 09:08 PM
A bit disappointing.  It's another "just good enough to compete" effort from GM.  Nothing class leading here - especially since this probably will be as good as it gets for the next 3-4 years for the Colbalt.

Mark
just good enough to compete? it blows every FWD import out of the water. Domestically it only lags behind the SRT-4 [/b][/quote]
Uh, it competes with the WRX and SRT-4 directly as far as price goes, and indirectly with the STi and Evo. It won't beat the SRT-4 in a straight line (though it damn well better be able to out-handle that thing). The Acura RSX type S is probably a fairly even match for it. As was said already, this is another "just good enough" performance vehicle from GM. Unfortunately, drawing in the youth market requires something that really makes a splash. SCC said the ION RL had two market-leading features, but beyond that, it wasn't very impressive. You know what those two features were? The front seats - Recaros.

·
Registered
131 Posts
205HP is only 5 more than the N/A RSX-S. Yeah i know it will have a wider powerband from being blown, but cmon its pathetic. Where the SRT-4 is running low 14s, dont be suprised if the "SS" runs mid 15s on a good day.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts