1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wallet Watchers: This new Suzuki family sedan is worthy bargain

Friday, February 20, 2004
By Don Hammonds, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Suzuki just keeps growing and growing, adding new models and chalking up a number of consumer awards along the way. Now it's entering the family sedan field with the 2004 Suzuki Verona, a darned fine bargain that careful comparison shoppers will want to check out before they buy anything else.

Mine had a base price of $19,499, which after adding traction control grew to $19,999. There's plenty of standard equipment, including a 155- horsepower, 2.5-liter six that gets 20 miles per gallon in the city and 28 on the highway. You also get speed sensitive power steering, anti-lock brakes, air conditioning, leather seats, driver's eight-way power seat, cruise, CD/AM-FM cassette audio system with six speakers, alloy wheels and fog lamps.

It would be one thing if the you got all this -- plus Suzuki's 100,000 mile, seven-year transferable powertrain limited warranty and roadside assistance program -- in a vehicle that was a rolling set of compromises. That's not the case with the Verona. First, it's pretty comfortable and roomy for its size. I found all the materials and trim to be sturdy and nicely put together, and even the dashboard was nicely laid out with everything where it needed to be.

Drawbacks? A few. I didn't care much for the automatic shifter that I had to remember to push down before you shift from one gear to the next. I also thought the engine sounded a bit whiny, as though it was revving inappropriately high from time to time. And when it comes to acceleration, it could use a few extra horses on the highway.

But in every other way, my Suzuki shone. A huge snowstorm hit, and while I was stuck in another car costing thousands more, the Verona seemed not the least bit perturbed by it and kept going as though the streets were dry. It also was fun to drive, even being a little bit "tossable," as I refer to cars that have a definite sporting edge to their driving ambiance.

Overall, my judgment on this car is that it's a definite "buy" for anyone on a budget. Thanks to Suzuki's aggressive pricing, it's competitive with any number of compact and intermediate family sedans.

FULL Article Here

Also See GM Canada's Chevrolet Epica

·
Registered
790 Posts
i kind of like the looks of this car. but isnt it a dawoo, like the aveo? if it is than i dont see why people wouldnt just go with the cobalt

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 20 2004, 11:29 PM
Nope. My guess is the UAW has more pull in this market. :p
You just couldnt help yourself.

Now back to the Verona... I am still wondering why they cant get any more power out of the engine, straight six DOHC, should be able to squeeez out more.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by LGRpup+Feb 21 2004, 05:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LGRpup @ Feb 21 2004, 05:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ming@Feb 20 2004, 11:29 PM
Nope.  My guess is the UAW has more pull in this market.  :p
You just couldnt help yourself.
[/b][/quote]
He is probably right.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by LGRpup@Feb 21 2004, 12:09 AM
I am still wondering why they cant get any more power out of the engine, straight six DOHC, should be able to squeeez out more.
It's pretty small, displacement wise, and it gets much better torque than horsepower, which isn't what many people expect from a DOHC economy passenger car engine.

Verona:
Standard Engine 2.5L I6 DOHC
Horsepower @ RPM [email protected]
Number of Valves 24
Torque @ RPM [email protected]

Compare to the Alero V6:

Standard Engine 3.4L V6 OHV
Number of Valves 12

Here's the Chrysler Sebring for another comparison:
Standard Engine 2.7L V6 DOHC
Number of Valves 24

Give the Verona engine another .9 liters of displacement....not too shabby. You can see how they swapped torque for horsepower with the Sebring engine comparison. I'm guessing that's in part due to the inline configuration.

But you are right in that there are grocery getter 4 cylinders in the market that have 2.4L of displacement and draw almost the same power ---- so I guess its just a "you get what you pay for" thing --- and Suzuki gets to boast "Standard V6 power" as a lure to less picky buyers.

Also, they might be able to squeeze out more, but with a 7 year powertrain warranty, playing it safe might make more sense.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
For some reason, I keep on thinking that GM alliance news (Suzuki, Subaru, Isuzu, and Fiat) should have their own section in the Press Room... Any idea if that could happen?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ouch....

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_co...t_code=06088223

RAYNAL: This car actually stalled on me. I haven?t had that happen since I drove carbureted cars. I was sitting at a light and the thing just died. I turned the key and it fired right back up, and then ran fine. As for the rest: It?s not bad, really. The car looks pretty nice inside and out, the six is smoothish, as are the transmission shifts (though it seems ill-mated to this engine and hunts around quite a bit for a gear). Fit-and-finish and build quality are darned good and it?s pretty roomy. Compared to an Accord, Camry or Mazda 6, no way for me, regardless of price. But as a true midsizer for the masses, costing compact money, it?s a pretty good value.

:zippy: :blink: :unsure: :ph34r: <_< :( :angry:

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
It is a good valued car with good looks but underpowered :(

If they give it 200+hp it would be cool B)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I have to admit, I do like the looks of the Verona and the Epica. They look good for this portion of the market.

Now if they could squeeze out more power.

Does this mark the first transverse inline-6 in a car? I can't recall ever seeing another one.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by MelvinJ@Mar 5 2004, 05:59 PM
I have to admit, I do like the looks of the Verona and the Epica. They look good for this portion of the market.

Now if they could squeeze out more power.

Does this mark the first transverse inline-6 in a car? I can't recall ever seeing another one.
No, Volvo has been using them which causes their cars to be very smooth. I don't know how it makes it smoother, but it does...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts