GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my test drive of the Optra5, it now sits in my driveway. The fit and finish is very good and the car is roomy. I drove it before and of the salespeople did and was very surprised at how well the car acted. The auto was silky smooth and shifted at just the right time. The engine was quite and peppy and the radio(the 8 speaker option) sounds great. After my drive the sales manager took the car out and he was giggling and said "its so fun to drive, I think its time to get rid of my truck." I think this car will be a good thing for GM it fills the gap between the Cav and Boo nicely. The only thing I don't like it the choice of tire size, 195 55 R15. Its kinda an oddball of selection of tires is limited and the cost more then a common size. One other note I was talking to the tech that just trained on the optra and he said the was"overbuilt" for the car and should be problem free.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
ah very interesting. i've been looking forward to having a peek at the optra5, but it's not available near me yet (in ontario). saw a commercial last night... i like the look of the car. i read many months back that the optra sedan was coming, and would be an okay car, but it really needed a hatchback version to keep current. and tada! here it is! enjoy your car!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drove an Optra LS sedan (automatic), today as a potential replacement for my wife's 1992 Ford Tempo. The Tempo has been a VERY reliable car over it's 12 year tenure, but is showing it's age in terms of mechanical ailments.

While I was generally pleased with the Optra's comfort, spaciousness and handling, I was less impressed with it's hair-trigger gas pedal and mushy brakes, the latter (IMO), being almost totally devoid of feedback. Steering weight and feedback were very good, as was high speed tracking and handling, although I felt it rolled a bit too much in corners. Overall ride quality was very good, but I found it jiggly (not harsh), at lower speeds.

The 2.0L engine idled a bit roughly, but was reasonably smooth and adequately powerful. Shifts were crisp and occured at exactly the right point. Fit and finish were very good, but the dash layout seemed uninspired and bland. The centre console seemed a bit flimsy, as it bent (!) over to the right slightly when shifting back into Park from Drive.

Trunk space seemed adequate, but I wish automakers would stop using intrusive hinges in favour of side-mounted struts.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 7. Beside being reluctant to give any first-year model a thumbs-up, I don't know enough about the long term reliability of Daewoo products to give it an 8.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
While I was generally pleased with the Optra's comfort, spaciousness and handling, I was less impressed with it's hair-trigger gas pedal and mushy brakes, the latter (IMO), being almost totally devoid of feedback. Steering weight and feedback were very good, as was high speed tracking and handling, although I felt it rolled a bit too much in corners. Overall ride quality was very good, but I found it jiggly (not harsh), at lower speeds.
You should work for Autoweek or Road & Track, hybridizer. Sounds like something I would read in a magazine.

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jun 17 2004, 07:57 PM
You should work for Autoweek or Road & Track, hybridizer. Sounds like something I would read in a magazine.

:)
I'm more of a Car and Driver man, but thanks anyway. :D

What you don't know is how many edits my review went through before I posted it!

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts