GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I are on vacation at our favorite getaway just outside Phoenix, AZ, and we rented a Town Car for our stay.

MAN I love this car! It's really too bad that the Town Car has such and old fogey stigma, as it is a fine Lincoln and a surprisingly competitive luxury car in general. Even our "rental special" Town Car is luxuriously appointed and well-equipped. If I had a little extra money and a little extra garage space, I'd be proud to add this beauty to fine fleet of Cadillacs. B)

The current generation Town Car is leaps and bounds better than the one it replaced. Sure, there are still signs of "Ford-ishness" here and there, but the car is classy, sophisticated, and as plush as a true luxury car should be. The interior is beautifully done, with many clever appointments and pleasant surprises; the outside of the car is just drop-dead beautiful to my eyes.

Although the highest-trim Cadillac DeVille (the DTS) has much more to offer than the highest-trim Town Car (now called the "Ultimate L"), I'd say that I--the ultimate Cadillac nut--would have a hard time deciding between a base Town Car and a base DeVille.

It could use some more power, but I wasn't too disappointed with Ford's aging SOHC V8 lurking under the hood, (at only 239hp, it sounds worse on paper than it really is). Otherwise, the ride is silky smooth and supremely quiet, and it handles well even if it wasn't designed to compete at LeMans.

Sure, Lincoln needs to have the kind of renaissance that Cadillac is currently experiencing; but it's nice to know that Lincoln still makes some really nice luxury cars that--if only folks could look past their staid image--deserve to be on the same premium shopping lists that include Cadillac and Lexus.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
If you like chrome so much, why don't you MARRY it?????

:woot2:

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just saw a commerical for the Towncar, I didn't know it did so well on crash tests. I've always like these, like the Deville they have feeling of refinement and stateliness to them.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by daveymcdave@Oct 21 2003, 11:18 PM
I just saw a commerical for the Towncar, I didn't know it did so well on crash tests.  I've always like these, like the Deville they have feeling of refinement and stateliness to them.
I saw the same commercial and noticed that Ford was offering something like a $4000 rebate, and I think that's on top of 0% financing. They're giving these things away!

Disclaimer: I'm a Cadillac nut, and therefore cannot allow this to be misconstrued as a suggestion that you folks should go out and buy a Lincoln. So, uh, don't buy a Town Car I guess, and please don't tell anyone that I want one real bad.

:mf_boff:

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Dumb_Ass_2003@Oct 22 2003, 10:22 PM
I just don't think I could give up a beautiful and refined Northstar for a SOHC Ford V8 ;)
And don't forget "it's rear wheel drive" like everyone is crying for GM to bring back!

Personally I like the previous Deville look better than the current, but I love the car
and the Town Car which I like the current look of more than the previous look.

But the real Lincoln sleeper is the LS it is a awesome car 280hp 32 valve V8, DVD sattelite nav and more.

Anyways Lincoln is still build a great competitive auto, Ijust think they need more product "like Cadilac" has been bring to the table.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Imagine the current Town Car with the V8 from the LS. That would be sweet. Even better, the 4.6 with 3 valve heads from the next gen Mustang -- 300hp and 315 lb/ft torque. Lincoln could have great potential with an engine like that. It would be awesome to eventually see Lincoln and Cadillac fighting the imports together.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by bcs296@Dec 22 2003, 09:29 PM
It would be awesome to eventually see Lincoln and Cadillac fighting the imports together.
I don't see this happening in the near future... I suppose both of them could be fighting imports, but they are going to be targeting different segments in the aggregate.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Caddy is trying (and doing a good job of) climbing back up into higher and higher levels. Ford is going to keep Lincoln at the entry-level luxury area.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by bcs296@Dec 22 2003, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I guess Jaguar is more of Ford's BMW/MB competitor.
That appears to be absolutely true, and that really sucks. I'm very disappointed that Ford is letting Lincoln take a back seat to its other luxury brands.

It may seem like the practical thing to do when you have Jaguar in your stable, but it's also a terrible waste of a great marque with huge potential. Cadillac has proven that a "left-for-dead also-ran" can be revived and made great again.

Anyway, I hope FoMoCo makes a fool out of me and proves me wrong. I want Lincoln back. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts