GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I'm wondering is how your temperature gauge reads in you car? I think mine is acting funny and I just want to be sure. I don't want to look like a complete idiot if everyone else does the same as mine. If not I will explain what is happening. Any help would be great, I don't think I'm getting the right answers from garages I've been asking. Please help because I think I'm driving myself nuts over thinking the problem if there really is one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really, so its past the third big line and sticks there? Well maybe I'm one of the lucky ones mine jumps up and then the t-stat opens and it cools down. But before I had my cooling issues it would run really cool, and never move until I got in heavy stop and go traffic and it was the middle of summer and it was like 90 degrees out. I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure this thing out.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Really, so its past the third big line and sticks there? Well maybe I'm one of the lucky ones mine jumps up and then the t-stat opens and it cools down. But before I had my cooling issues it would run really cool, and never move until I got in heavy stop and go traffic and it was the middle of summer and it was like 90 degrees out. I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure this thing out.
Sounds like it was stuck open and now it works correctly. I'm sure if you left it till it got colder, you'd throw an engine code. I don't know why I didn't mention that on OQCGP when you asked. Mine does go halfway up to the second line, thermostat opens up, and then cools down to the first line. If you are really paranoid, like me, check your coolant level and oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like it was stuck open and now it works correctly. I'm sure if you left it till it got colder, you'd throw an engine code. I don't know why I didn't mention that on OQCGP when you asked. Mine does go halfway up to the second line, thermostat opens up, and then cools down to the first line. If you are really paranoid, like me, check your coolant level and oil.
Yes I'm paranoid, ever since got this car I have had nothing but problems, supercharge belts jumping, steering clicking when turn, leaking sun roof, a loose sounding noise when coming from the back when I hit bumps and the prestone anti freeze mixed with dexcol so maybe thats why I'm paranoid. The car has been at the dealership where I bought it more then in my driveway. Anyways I don't think it is stuck open but I think I might have a bad t-stat
By the way are you running a 180 t-stat in yours Mischief? Sounds like it, I tried one but way to cold, I drive mine in the winter so I don't want to freeze. I check oil level all the time, because someone brainwashed me and said that the intake gaskets might be toast if they mixed the two coolants, so I"m looking for any traces of coolant in the oil or the other way around. I'm going to try and put the old t-stat in the car and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm running a 180 T-Stat right now and seems to have woken up the car a little bit. I know the feeling of being paranoid. All your problems remind me of my first car. It leaked like a son-of-a-gun during heavy rainfall.

With the coolant, I'd get it completely flushed out and either replace with Dexcool or go with green coolant. That's your best bet. I'm burning oil through my valve seals on cold starts but I'm not even worried about that. Once the car warms up for 10 seconds, oil leakage stops. Leaking sunroof, seems to be a bit too frequent.

Steering wheel clicking. I know mine does that but it is the ISS (Intermediate Steering Shaft). Most people lube it up and the noise goes away but replacing is with the newer released ISS from GM solves the problem as well. If it is your ISS it is just noisy, nothing really to worry about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you don't feel a little cold in the mornings with that t-stat, I switched mine out to the stock one. I have had all my problems fixed, either I solved them or the dealership did after bugging them until they fixed it. I have had it flushed out by a machine and this issue started when I replaced the original t-stat with the new one from gm and now its been acting funny, well I think it has been.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I found the car warms up quicker actually because the t-stat is closed until the car warms up. The old one was just stuck open.

Really it sounds like it is working properly. It does sound like a 195 t-stat when it is doing that though. Sometimes with these newer cars you will see that swing up and then down like in the older cars but most new cars just gradually go up until the fans kick in. I would say that if you are getting good heat, don't smell coolant, oil is good, t-stat temps stay between first and second big bar, then you should be fine.

Can you tell I've had my fair share of cooling problems...lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone researched the Dexcool Class Action Lawsuit, and had the same problem with an 04 Grand prix GTP? I have a 98 Jimmy with the 4.3 and it is included in the Dexcool problem lawsuit. My 04 GP has the same problem, rusty sludge on the rad cap and radiator, and has already had the intake manifold gaskets replaced, supposedly with the new metal gasket. Now the residue has returned, but I suspect because the system was not properly flushed.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Has anyone researched the Dexcool Class Action Lawsuit, and had the same problem with an 04 Grand prix GTP? I have a 98 Jimmy with the 4.3 and it is included in the Dexcool problem lawsuit. My 04 GP has the same problem, rusty sludge on the rad cap and radiator, and has already had the intake manifold gaskets replaced, supposedly with the new metal gasket. Now the residue has returned, but I suspect because the system was not properly flushed.
I've never had problems with dexcool. Always properly maintained my cooling systems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts