GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earnhardt Jr. Monte Carlo a Fast Seller

There just isn’t anything with the Earnhardt name on it that doesn’t go fast. The Dale Earnhardt Jr Monte Carlos started production on Feb 2nd and are 75% sold out already. A total of 2,883 units are scheduled to be produced with some available in Canada. The Monte Carlo is built exclusively in the Oshawa Car Assembly Plant.

The Earnhardt Jr. Monte Carlo package includes:

- 3800 Supercharged V6

- 17" Machined Wheels with Black Highlights

- Red Outline Pad-Printed Bowtie on Black Center Cap

- Victory Red Exterior Color Only

- Embroidered Front Seat Headrests (“Dale Jr.” Signature in Red Thread)

- C/O Ebony Leather Interior

- I/P Cluster with White #8 and “Dale Jr.” signature

- #8 & Dale Jr. Signature Series Badge above Glove Box

- High Performance Audio System (Panasonic 8-Speaker System)

- Black Front and Rear Fascia Extensions

- Black Rocker Moldings

- Red Rear Spoiler

- Steering Gear Heat Shield

- Embroidered Front Floor Mats (“Dale Jr.” Signature in Red Thread)

- Door Sill Plates (Embossed Black “E” with Silver #8 to Match Side Stripe)

- Full Length Decal on Each Side of Vehicle (“E” Stripe on LH Side, “3” Stripe on
RH Side. Black with Silver Drop Shadow)

- Silver with Black Drop Shadow # 8 Badges, Tilted Forward on Sail Panels

- Silver with Black Drop Shadow #8 Badge, Tilted Left on Front License Plate Cover

- Black “Dale Jr.” Signature Decal on Right Hand Side of Deck lid

- Silver Monte Carlo Windshield Decal (Boxed and Placed in Trunk)

- Black Body Side Moldings

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
The 2004 MC brochure has the intimidator package but with a black Monte Carlo which sports chrome wheels. I wanted to have those chrome wheels but did not want to get Dale's picture on my leather nor his number emblazoned on my roof line.
Now, NASCAR has been running the MC for many a year (Dale being their biggest hero). Everybody knows that the car on the street and the car on the track have a relationship in name only. NASCAR is the biggest draw (spectators) in the country.
I would think that GM's long term marketing scheme would be to live off that popularity and produce a rwd Monte Carlo with the NASCAR theme. We know that GM would require time to design the platform and they had one sitting in Australia (we need not go through the GTO history again).
Maybe the marketing boys did the study and said that the number of sales would not increase if rwd was introduced or that any sales increase would not offset the added costs.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
what is the deal with the ride hight? Does it come with big 33in mud swampers? The 4x4esque look to that car is fugly. The black stripes are iffy.
I will never understand, you make a special race car edition, yet the HP nor any other aspect of performance goes up?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 11 2004, 10:09 AM

I will never understand, you make a special race car edition, yet the HP nor any other aspect of performance goes up?
At least this year it has the supercharged engine, and not the Base Bonneville engine in "special editions" of years past. :D

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
The idea of adding some decals to make a special is so lame. GM has done it repeatedly through the years. I don't like the stripes but it's a minor pint.
Winner's Circle, as advertised in the brochure, is not offered with the supercharged motor. Crazy, huh.
I don't think that these specials are big sellers in the Chicago area as evidenced by the ones languishing at the local dealer. He's got a 2003 sitting there since I have been visiting him (Sep 03) for one and others on the lot.
Did they drop the chrome wheels since they mention them in the brochure? The ones on the car look like those on my car.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
i say make it LOOK exactly like the nascar. but Budweiser might have a problem with that
esp if the driver gets drunk one day and has an accident.

dont like the the current intimidator either..
this is the one they should have made.

www.dealershipdesigns.com makes a body kit
similiar to that, better looking then just emblems
and embroidery if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 11 2004, 11:09 AM
what is the deal with the ride hight? Does it come with big 33in mud swampers? The 4x4esque look to that car is fugly. The black stripes are iffy.
BigAL ur looking @ the rednecks version of Ricer-itis. The "3"'s really do make U go faster.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 11 2004, 10:47 AM
true, but a 280hp motor wouldnt be all that hard.
Don't get me started on that, man, I'm still peeved that GM never produced the naturally aspirated Intimidator concept that looked so good at the time.... :(

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by casket_demon+Feb 11 2004, 05:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (casket_demon @ Feb 11 2004, 05:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Feb 11 2004, 11:09 AM
what is the deal with the ride hight?  Does it come with big 33in mud swampers?  The 4x4esque look to that car is fugly.  The black stripes are iffy. 
BigAL ur looking @ the rednecks version of Ricer-itis. The "3"'s really do make U go faster. [/b][/quote]
I dont even watch nascar, and I know that #3 is not to be fawked around with. May he RIP.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wouldnt a V-8 make more sense? Not a V-6. If you want it wont fit you can always enlarge the cars dimensions.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Must be a popular thing to do right now.....

In the News
Polaris ATVs Partners With NASCAR Star – Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
MINNEAPOLIS, January 26, 2004 – NASCAR superstar Dale Earnhardt, Jr. just picked up a new mode of transportation, but his new wheels are made for high performance off the track. Polaris ATVs has signed Earnhardt, Jr., one of the hottest names in NASCAR, to a personal services agreement. Earnhardt, Jr. will represent Polaris ATVs in a variety of promotions, such as the “Ride Of Your Life” sweepstakes in April 2004, and lend his signature to a new special-edition 2004 Predator 500.

Beginning April 1, the “Ride Of Your Life” Sweepstakes will launch in Polaris dealerships across the United States and Canada. Earnhardt, Jr. will be the promotional spokesperson for the sweepstakes, appearing in print and radio advertising. Consumers can enter the sweepstakes by visiting their local Polaris dealer between April 1 and April 30. One winner and a guest will meet Earnhardt, Jr. and ride Polaris ATVs with him near his home in North Carolina.

Junior’s New Predator

Additionally, Polaris will manufacture Predator 500 Dale Earnhardt, Jr. special edition ATVs. The newly styled Predator will feature a red and black chassis, complete with racing stripes, Earnhardt, Jr.’s signature and the No. 8 on each rear fender.

More Info

·
Registered
263 Posts
I saw one of these at my local dealer today. It's somewhat better-looking in person, but the window sticker was an eye-popping $33,390! :blink:

I snapped a few quick pix while my oil was being changed - let me know if you want me to post them.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 11 2004, 10:47 AM
Not hard at all. There's a great aftermarket for the SC 3800. 300 hp isn't hard at all to acheive.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
The idea of adding some decals to make a special is so lame. GM has done it repeatedly through the years. I don't like the stripes but it's a minor pint.

lame? perhaps. but if chevrolet has sold out 75% of them, there must be a couple thousand people who don't agree! and at $33,390 a pop, you can't blame chev for tapping into this high return-rate market. sure, a V8 sounds nice... but that's not what this special edition is about... it's about chev adding perhaps 10% to their cost but charging 20% more (i made up the numbers... so don't call me on them!). adding a V8'd take TONS of money... not worth it for 2883 cars. i personally think it's silly, but they didn't ask me!

(haha... got me thinking... i had a buddy who was excited a few years back... told me his parents had bought a grand am special edition! i said oh, what makes it special? he said "well, it's a grand am SE, and that means special edition"! hahaha! mmmm... grand am SE... does it come any more basic? people be stoopid!)

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by PaleGreen@Feb 26 2004, 02:13 AM
I saw one of these at my local dealer today. It's somewhat better-looking in person, but the window sticker was an eye-popping $33,390! :blink:

I snapped a few quick pix while my oil was being changed - let me know if you want me to post them.
Post away, man, I'd like to see them. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by casket_demon+Feb 11 2004, 05:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (casket_demon @ Feb 11 2004, 05:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Feb 11 2004, 11:09 AM
what is the deal with the ride hight?  Does it come with big 33in mud swampers?  The 4x4esque look to that car is fugly.  The black stripes are iffy. 
BigAL ur looking @ the rednecks version of Ricer-itis. The "3"'s really do make U go faster.

[/b][/quote]
At least once a week I get passed by somewon driving nuts in a Monte Carlo. The ever popular 3 will be present. the worst offender will be Red Monter Carlo's. News flash to red monte carlo drivers with the 3. The race is over, it's monday...

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by chev454ls+Mar 2 2004, 09:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chev454ls @ Mar 2 2004, 09:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Feb 11 2004, 10:47 AM
Not hard at all. There's a great aftermarket for the SC 3800. 300 hp isn't hard at all to acheive. [/b][/quote]
then do it. If your going to make a special monte or whatever, at least have the power rating higher. The people looking at these cars are probably more worred about HP numbners then MPG numbers.

Thats one thing I dont understand. If your going to market a line of cars above the base as a performance model, why not raise the HP?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts