1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA INDY SS
Andrew Luu
Autoweek

There are subtle signs this Impala SS celebrates Chevy's history with the famed oval speedway. There are IMS logos stitched in the headrests and floormats and a tiny IMS decal on the lower half of the fenders. Then there are the gold bow tie and 17-inch chrome wheels. Other than the two "limited edition" reminders on the dash, it's all regular Impala. However, that doesn't mean Chevy fans won't care.

During my test drive a father-and-son duo hovered around me like vultures following a wounded animal. They dropped behind, ran up front, then slowed down beside me as Dad pointed out the differences to his son. It was an automotive Kodak moment and this went on for more than five minutes.

Admirers aside, the supercharged engine has good get-up-and-go. The handling, not exactly sporty, leans more on the softer end of things, and for my 300-plus-mile drive to the 500 in Indianapolis, that was just fine. The Impala is a comfortable long-distance cruiser and leaps past highway stragglers with ease.

Chevy is building only 4088 Indy SS Impalas to guarantee exclusivity to its loyal customers.

Full Article Here

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
During my test drive a father-and-son duo hovered around me like vultures following a wounded animal. They dropped behind, ran up front, then slowed down beside me as Dad pointed out the differences to his son. It was an automotive Kodak moment and this went on for more than five minutes.
This is either heart warning or a head shaker. I can't figure it out yet. It's hard to imagine me getting exciting about such a lack luster car as the Impala SS to bother pointing anything interesting about it out to my son. It's essentially a 1997 Grand Prix. Whoopee. Hey a sucker is born every minute. Maybe GM can make some money on them so they can make a real performance car. There are so many other cars at the $30K price point that are so much better than this thing.

Maybe this is what the father was telling the son: "See there son the extra badges and the rims. That thar is an limited edition Impala SS!!! Yes sireee, you can pay a premium for this kind of stuff and only you and 4,088 other people in the USA will care that you were dumb enough to pay a premium for a repackaged SS that no one in the right mind thinks is a good value or decent performer."

Sorry. I had to get that cynical streak out of me.

Mark

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
It's really more of a Pontiac Bonneville SSEi with a bowtie...

Well actually...the Impala is a W body car like a Grand Prix the Bonneville is similar to the LeSabre, Chevrolet does not have a version of the platform.

·
Registered
224 Posts
[/QUOTE]During my test drive a father-and-son duo hovered around me like vultures following a wounded animal. They dropped behind, ran up front, then slowed down beside me as Dad pointed out the differences to his son. It was an automotive Kodak moment and this went on for more than five minutes...

because they couldn't believe how lame it really is

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA INDY SS
DATE IN FLEET: May 27-June 2
AS-TESTED PRICE: $31,055
POWERTRAIN: 3.8-liter supercharged V6; fwd, four-speed automatic
OUTPUT: 240 hp @ 5200 rpm, 280 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm
CURB WEIGHT: 3606 pounds
Look at that price - no wonder the Chrysler 300C is so popular....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I paid 24,800 for mine after GMS and rebates, add another 2K for modes and now I have a 12second family car! Sounds like a good deal to me. All you pessimist!

Funny how all the GTP people are saying they wish they waited for the ImpalaSS to come out! I'll keep my Impala, add some nitrous next and go LS1 hunting!

DOHHH!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Originally posted by HOJIMAN2K3@Jun 27 2004, 04:07 AM
During my test drive a father-and-son duo hovered around me like vultures following a wounded animal. They dropped behind, ran up front, then slowed down beside me as Dad pointed out the differences to his son. It was an automotive Kodak moment and this went on for more than five minutes...

because they couldn't believe how lame it really is
[/quote]
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Nothing to get excited about and have a circle jerk over.

FWD 240hp? Not sporty.

·
Registered
520 Posts
There are more than a few of these "limited edition" Imapla's on various lots around Baton Rouge. After a Colorado test drive a couple weeks ago, I asked about the Indy Impala. It had been at the dealership for a while. The salesperson told me they couldn't give it away. I believe they were asking $24,500 (I believe the MSRP was just above $30k) for it. I don't have a huge problem with the actual car, but the pricing is rediculous.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Until they at least add AWD to get the power to the right wheels it will be a lame P.O.S. Good luck to whoever has one of these and wants to be taken seriously. If I ever lined up against one at a stop light I probably wouldn't even waste the gas to blow one of these thing away....

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Until they at least add AWD to get the power to the right wheels it will be a lame P.O.S. Good luck to whoever has one of these and wants to be taken seriously. If I ever lined up against one at a stop light I probably wouldn't even waste the gas to blow one of these thing away....

Before you go and offend people who own any FWD 3800 V6 Supercharged cars, you might want to know what some of these cars are capable off with some work done to them.....

I can assure you that these cars can be and do deserved to be taken seriously.

Also if "blowing away" every car that lines up next to you at a stoplight completes your life, you might need to get out more....wow....you "blew away" a 48 year old insurance salesman in his stock Impala SS, wow.

5,934 Posts
yyaaaawwwwwnnnnnnnnnn.....ngghhhhhh .......

This needs a complete re-design. Something which is worthy of the Impala badge.

:type:

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66@Jun 28 2004, 06:17 PM
yyaaaawwwwwnnnnnnnnnn.....ngghhhhhh .......

This needs a complete re-design. Something which is worthy of the Impala badge.

:type:
Funny how 99%+ of all Impalas ever produced were middle-of-the-road family cars, but one capable of low to mid 90's in the quarter isn't worthy of the Impala name.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I still want to see the Impala return to it's 1956 Motorama state. A 4 seat Vette! I don't know if Chevy had anything earlier than that concept car, but I think it was their 1st GT, before Corvair & Camaro. For a family sedan, I think Chevy should use either the DelRay, Biscayne, BelAir, or Caprice names. Impala has usually had a sporty atmosphere about it ('58, '62, '67, '96, you know.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's funny to hear people whine endlessly about the fwd Impala. The Impala first and formost is a family car, no more, no less. Now if they made the Camaro or the Corvette into front wheel drive I could understand the out cry. When you look over the years there is only a few years (as already mentioned) of performance Impala's. When you compare the new SS to the last SS of '96 this car better in many ways. Faster in the 1/4, better conering, better fuel milage, not to mention better in the snow. The only area it is lacking is in top speed, something most people won't be willing to test. G.M. is in the business of selling cars and the Impala of the 90's was an embarassment when it came to sales. If it does sell then G.M. won't build it! When it comes to production numbers this version blows away what they sold in the 90's. I wonder if any of those that complain have even driven the new version of the Impala? It's not a lemon like some of the other vehicle's that have been made over the years, like the Contour, Corvair, Focus, and the Vega. So if you don't like it don't buy it, there is a couple hundred thousand other people that will! Just a thought!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts