GM Inside News Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Chev Impala with a little over 18,000 miles on it.

A week ago I found myself stranded with a car that did not want to start. The tow truck driver came out and said he didn't htink it was the battery, rapped lightly on the starter once, and the car turned over.

Drove the car for oh, five days and guess what happened again. The same thing, went into a store came out and the car would not start. I was fortunate to be a in a very safe location, and while waiting or the tow truck to come, oh about 20 mintues after I first called for help, I happened to turn the key and the car started.

I was tickked off. Drove the car right over to the dealers. Got a call from them later in the day saying they fixed the problem and they had replaced the starter.

Yes, right! Well, here I am 1 week later, it is bitterly cold here in WNY and I was out shopping with my two small children. Come out of the store and the blasted car wouldn't start again for me. No security lights came on, no warning what so ever. By now I am fuming!!!

So, I called the 1-800-CHEV-USA and the tow truck driver comes out, raps on the starter again and the car turned right over. Idrive the car home, by then my kids were freezing.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with my car? Is this a starter issue or an electircal issue with something else? I need help. I'm afraid to drive the stupid thing, for fear of being stranded again.

I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow for them to look at it on Monday. This time it better be fixed or I want a new car!!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,846 Posts
It does not sound like the starter but rather the solenoid. Have them replace it! GM has had this problem for few years but does nothing to correct it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

I plan on taking the car over to the dealers tomorrow night so they can get to it first thing Monday morning.

·
Registered
902 Posts
andretti said:
It does not sound like the starter but rather the solenoid. Have them replace it! GM has had this problem for few years but does nothing to correct it.
Just to let you know i have replaced maybe 2 starters in my dealership in the past 5 years.So what is this "GM has had this problem for a few years" nonsense?Also when you replace a starter it has a new solenoid already on it.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I had a Ford with a similar problem (maybe). For no reason the car would not even turn over in its first year of ownership. This time, when I took it to the dealer, the mechanic quickly installed a ground cable to ground the motor to the chassis. End of problems.
They should be checking connections especially those from the battery to the starter and the battery to the chassis.
The main thing is to determine if the other electrical functions are active. If not, you have an electrical (not just starter) problem. Does the car just sit there without trying to turn over? Do you hear the clicking of the solenoid? Are your headlights bright- or do they light at all?
Sometimes, the mechanics go on the word of the owner or tow truck driver rather than setting a baseline and seeing for himself (herself).

·
Registered
902 Posts
69nova said:
I had a Ford with a similar problem (maybe). For no reason the car would not even turn over in its first year of ownership. This time, when I took it to the dealer, the mechanic quickly installed a ground cable to ground the motor to the chassis. End of problems.
They should be checking connections especially those from the battery to the starter and the battery to the chassis.
The main thing is to determine if the other electrical functions are active. If not, you have an electrical (not just starter) problem. Does the car just sit there without trying to turn over? Do you hear the clicking of the solenoid? Are your headlights bright- or do they light at all?
Sometimes, the mechanics go on the word of the owner or tow truck driver rather than setting a baseline and seeing for himself (herself).
What you are saying about mechanics going on the word of a tow truck driver is very true.I just love when i get a "No Start" in my stall and the only info on the Repair Order is vehicle "vehicle does not start".My first question is always is it a crank no start condition or is it a does not crank at all condidtion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, first of all it was a no start, no clicking, no crank at all. The lights functioned, the car was just dead. I did take into the dealers last night and got it back today.

They performed diagnosis for a no start and the system chart lead to two codes set. They did a search for bulletins and found bulltein 04-08-47-003. They performed all checks at the BCM connector C1 & C2 (whatever this is) and found no problems.

The ran down code 82960 diagnosis as per SI DOC742122 and it lead to replace the pass lock sensor. Replaced the pass lock sensor and performed relearn procedure and check operation and the vehicle started right up.

Let's hope this problem is solved. I don't wish car problems on anyone at this time of the year, or any other time for that matter.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
"BCM" stands for Body Control Module. It's been problematic on certain GM vehicles (like my Maxx, Malibus and G6s), but I've never heard of problems with it on a prev-gen Impala.

So, PassLock is at it again, now on the Impalas. The current-gen Malibu and Impala have a different system called Pass Key III+. I hope this system works better.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Yes, it does sound like a security issue to me. That's why it will start later. It had nothing to do with the tow truck driver tapping on your ignition. I would rather have pass key than pass lock. The only problem with pass key is that the keys are so freaken expensive.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes any of the vehicles with Passlock have problems.The only problems we ever had with the old Vats style system was after high mileage the small harness going to the cylinder would break.I can't tell you how many Passlock sensors i have installed on Malibu's,Impala's,Alero's etc..

·
Registered
360 Posts
sayers3948-

If it continues, I'd check out the battery, and the cables as 69Nova suggested. Low voltage can make some things get a bit screwy. I experienced a similar situation, where the truck started, ran fine for about 10 seconds, and just shut off, in the middle of my road. I looked into it and it was a typical Passlock experience it would seem. But the voltage was a bit low.

I replaced the low voltage junk WalMart battery with an Optima Red top and haven't had a problem like that since. That was about 18months ago I think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.