GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now my mom has had a colorful history with her 2000 Seville SLS (as most of you know). From the Airbag crap too the side moldings about to fall off.
Now...oh I say about 4 months ago she had to bring in her caddy because of a warning on the dashboard that said that the airbag might pop out at anytime. So she brought it in and got a 2003 base ford Taurus. She could have gotten a yellow mustang which I wished she did because I’ve never been in one while it was moving. But someone else got it. When I got home from school I had to go somewhere for some apparent reason and I wasn’t to excited to get in a Taurus. But I did anyway. The interior was ok and everything was power, good for a base model. The acceleration was slow but the engine sounded pretty good. It was raining and the road was muddy and covered with rocks because Nassau County doesn’t clean up the roads good because they suck. Anyway, the ride was great. Very smooth and nice. And when I got back home I had a new perspective towards the Taurus. A good one.
Now with the aveo. And yes I know there not the same class or the same year but im about to make a point. Yesterday the engine service light came on and we where informed to bring it to the dealership (I think that’s the 23rd time we had to bring it to the dealership…and yes I keep count so blah!). All they did was reprogram something and made us pay extra because they changed the oil for no reason. Dip****s. Now, she waited an hour and a half for this little gray aveo that was the little engine that couldn’t. When I got home from school today I saw it and wanted to take a ride in it to see how it was. I had no where to go, so after I finished walking my dog. She hopped in the back seat and I hopped up front and asked my mom to drive us around the block. I was appalled. There was nothing powered! It had crank windows; toggles to adjust the side mirrors couldn’t adjust the steering wheel or the seats NO CD PLAYER or tape player. The most abundant piece’s of equipment on earth. No power locks, you had to reach over the seats to unlock the doors! The air conditioner slots were seriously 3 inches in diameter. There were tacky interior designs that were pointless. As you will see in the picture that isn’t the same one as the one my mom got.
The suspension was terrible! Going over railroad tracks was like driving up and down the Grand Canyon, something I want to do by the way. When I got home my *** hurt like crazy because there was no cushion on the seats. The rims were seriously brushed aluminum. Ever heard of the saying; can’t drive 55? Well you can’t drive 55 because it only goes up to 38. For a base car that goes for $12,000, It’s a pile of crap. O and if you are looking for a good sedan. Get a Taurus. No question. And i swear its all true. I wouldnt bull**** anyone on this site. I love this site.

Have a nice day :D

·
Registered
922 Posts
Sounds like the special value Aveo, which is in the $9,000's. And for that price the people who need these kinda cars dont care too much about the small stuff. Get a base model or the LS (or LT??) and you can have all the goodies and still spend only about 12 G's.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thats all they had left at the dealer. Thank god she god got her caddy back later that night. But for a base model it had ****. the taurus had so much stuff in it for a base model though. Tahts what i posted this

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
But you can't compare the two.

A base model Hyundai Accent or Kia or Civic or Sentra all have roll-up windows and manual locks. You have to compare the same class and same dollar value.

It's like saying that the base model Lexus LS430 has leather. All base models should have leather.

Or the base model Ferrari has 12 cylinders. All base models should have 12 cylinders.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by BBcamaroSS@Feb 3 2004, 01:37 AM
Now with the aveo. And yes I know there not the same class or the same year but im about to make a point.
Im just saying. Shouldnt chevy make it a little bit more nicer looking for the people who really cant afford expensive cars. The taurus had alot of nice stuff and it was the base model.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by BBcamaroSS+Feb 3 2004, 10:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BBcamaroSS @ Feb 3 2004, 10:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BBcamaroSS@Feb 3 2004, 01:37 AM
Now with the aveo. And yes I know there not the same class or the same year but im about to make a point.
Im just saying. Shouldnt chevy make it a little bit more nicer looking for the people who really cant afford expensive cars. The taurus had alot of nice stuff and it was the base model. [/b][/quote]
The Taurus cost twice as much for the base as the Aveo. THAT'S WHY

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Originally posted by BBcamaroSS+Feb 3 2004, 06:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BBcamaroSS @ Feb 3 2004, 06:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BBcamaroSS@Feb 3 2004, 01:37 AM
Im just saying. Shouldnt chevy make it a little bit more nicer looking for the people who really cant afford expensive cars. The taurus had alot of nice stuff and it was the base model. [/b][/quote]

Worst. Argument. Ever.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Originally posted by BBcamaroSS@Feb 2 2004, 08:37 PM
. Ever heard of the saying; can’t drive 55? Well you can’t drive 55 because it only goes up to 38.
I have driven an Aveo at 80+... try the pedal on the right.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by MarkSS+Feb 7 2004, 08:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MarkSS @ Feb 7 2004, 08:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BBcamaroSS@Feb 2 2004, 08:37 PM
. Ever heard of the saying; can’t drive 55? Well you can’t drive 55 because it only goes up to 38.
I have driven an Aveo at 80+... try the pedal on the right. [/b][/quote]
bwhahahah! :laughbounce:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
the guy is right!
and aveo costs 10k, not 9!
those cars shouldn't exist, period!
the cavalier was bad enough (the base is only 700$ more than the aveo), why chevy needed to sunk that low?
why not selling them as suzukis or daewoo?
his point? you only have 10k, get a Goddamn 3 year old taurus and you're like 100 times better off.
my point? if I'd had 10k (a small fortune for me, my both cars costs half of that) to invest in a car, I'd get a '99 park ave ultra with the touring suspension... 1000 times more reliable and luxurious

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Mar 9 2004, 08:14 PM
his point? you only have 10k, get a Goddamn 3 year old taurus and you're like 100 times better off.
better off? in what respect? if you want power windows, locks and a cd player, perhaps. but there's alot to be said for a new car with a full warranty and no unknown driving history and no miles on the odomometer. plus a 0% interest rate. there are good buys in used cars, but i can see the appeal of a bargain-basement aveo. and chevy 'sank so low' so that the cobalt could be a notch higher in the food chain. i'd rather see an import-fighter cobat AND a basic aveo than a stuck-in-the-middle-of-nowhere cavalier.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
you have to understand that even honda moved the civic up a little without adding a new cheapo junk.
the aveo competitors named here (accent, echo, etc) don't have in their lineup viper fighters (corvette).
why not accepting a 7-8k junk without doors and only front drum brakes?
now the ford guys have more dignity just because their junk company didn't went that low as chevy...

and finally, there are out there used cars for sale from private guys wich can document every single mile of that car's history. and if you go for a proven reliable car you simply can't go wrong.

again, 10k is a small fortune for most, and 0% is a lie: the actual price is bumped up to cover for the 0% claim, or they lose with every car they sell, wich is pointless.

before flaming the guy, think that he's used to drive his mom's caddy... that guy will never ever settle for a junker like an aveo.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Mar 9 2004, 10:13 PM
you have to understand that even honda moved the civic up a little without adding a new cheapo junk.
the aveo competitors named here (accent, echo, etc) don't have in their lineup viper fighters (corvette).
why not accepting a 7-8k junk without doors and only front drum brakes?
now the ford guys have more dignity just because their junk company didn't went that low as chevy...

and finally, there are out there used cars for sale from private guys wich can document every single mile of that car's history. and if you go for a proven reliable car you simply can't go wrong.

again, 10k is a small fortune for most, and 0% is a lie: the actual price is bumped up to cover for the 0% claim, or they lose with every car they sell, wich is pointless.

before flaming the guy, think that he's used to drive his mom's caddy... that guy will never ever settle for a junker like an aveo.
flaming? easy killer! i had a different point of view, is all. i said there ARE good buys in used cars. didn't say he should go out and buy an aveo. i just can also see the appeal of a cheap brand new car. i didn't ask the guy to settle for an aveo... i just suggested that there are reasons why someone might.

dignity? it's not about dignity... it's about making money. GM'd be foolish to let ANY market go untapped. ford tried with the aspire and failed. so don't tell me they're above such a car!

no doors and drum brakes? you're talking silly now. the aveo is no less of a car than the other bargain basement cars out there (rio and accent, for example).

does the dude selling his used car document the burnouts he did, or the time he let his 16 year old daughter take the car on a road trip where she forgot to add oil? i KNOW there are well documented cars out there, but the number where everything is properly taken care of AND documented are rare.

i think a used STS would be a MUCH nicer car than a new aveo... but i'd have to think hard about it before i'd plunk down my $10,000. and the 0% is applied to the agreed-upon selling price, so it IS 0%.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
the only persons wich would need an aveo are either pizzaa delivery guys or driving schools or... wait, I finded: people wich have no ideea!

personally, I believe every human beeing should have a minimal degree of crash protection and comfort when on the road among bigger (heavier cars) like minivans, f-150's and... everything else who's bigger.
a car like aveo simply dosen't have those things, that's all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll tell you from my personal experience now owning both a 1998 Hyundai Accent
(bought new) and a 2004 Chevrolet Aveo 5-door (SVM model).
Both of these cars are stripped down models which offer great value used for basic
transportation. Personally, I don't want or need any extra features since that is more
that can go wrong with your car and that just equates to higher bills at the shop.
I don't really know why someone would put someone else down for buying a car they like.
In my situation I bought 2 reasonably fuel efficient cars because I drive more than
20,000 miles per year for my work commute. I definately wouldn't consider a gas
guzzling SUV or else I would be spending ALOT more money. And since the price of
gasoline is predicted to be much higher this summer than in the past the only people
that won't be complaining are people with small, fuel efficient cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts