GM Inside News Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ext is a nice car except when you drive it in a high wind. Then the wind noise at the passenger side front door is HORRIBLE!! May as well have the door open, exept there seems to be no air entering the vehicle, just the infernal noise. Can someone confirm how tightly the molded seal in the cavity behind the front wheel should fit? Should it be glued/caulked in and calulked around? Mine just roams around in the area and seems to not fit in any particular position and wondering if this could be the problem. Dealer said it was fine, but then he didn't drive it on a windy day. If this problem is not remedied, I'm driving my last Chevrolet as we like to visit while we drive and the noise is so loud we have to shout..
HELP ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE THIS PROBLEM??

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
It was either Horsepower TV or Auto Week that had a session on finding leaks due to poor sealing. There were 2 methods;
Take a thin slice of newsprint and close the door on it. Pull the sheet and you should feel some resistance. Repeat this covering the whole door. There may be low spots in the rubber gasket that allows the wind noise.
Something more difficult to do (get canned smoke for fire alarm sensors) is to close the door and from the inside direct a stream of the smoke at the door. This may not be as reliable if the sealing problem is at the bottom of the door (hard to reach).
Is the problem always present? Or is it when you are driving? Now, this is just a brain storm but a tight compartment will have greater pressure than the passing air outside (remember the beach ball trick with a vacuum cleaner-the ball stays aloft because of the forces exerted due to the stream of air below it and static air atop? Something like this-can you be developing positive pressure inside due to the static air? Like I said, maybe a brain storm maybe a brain fart.
Isn't this why they introduced radios?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Its been my experience that with most any vehical if you are driving in the wind that it will create some wind noise. And there will also be to an extent some kind of wind noise depending on the class of your vehical. But to state this will be your last Chevrolet because of wind noise which happens mostly in windy conditions is pretty ridiculous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.