GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu with a 6 cylinder automatic engine.

It has a problem with intermittant misfire on several of the cylinders.

I have put in new plugs, wires, ignition coils, mass flow sensor, fuel and air filters.

Sometimes the problem goes away after the car has been on awhile.

Any suggestions on what to check would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Hmm I have one with the 3.1 liter V6 as well and i haven't personally experienced that problem but it could either be that your cylinder compression is low or uneven or it could be that you have vacuum leaks at the intake manifold plenum or the hose connections. But I'm just wondering is your bu misfiring while its at idle? or is it misfiring no matter what speed the cars going?

Oh and because i found this out the hard way check the area near the rear quarter panels there will be a small opening in there (I'll post a pic of exactly where) and you will need to clean it regularly because due to a bad design all of the debris (pebbles, junk etc) accumulate in these areas and if not cleaned regularly it will cause the area to rust prematurely

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Check Engine Light came on today. I took it to the Auto Zone and they said it is the EGR Valve. Got a new one and will install it later today and see if it helps.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
The Check Engine Light came on today. I took it to the Auto Zone and they said it is the EGR Valve. Got a new one and will install it later today and see if it helps.

Thats good news I hope it helps. I was thinking EGR valve as well but forgot to type it in by mistake

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'd like to find out what happened with the EGR Valve. My check engine light came on and a shop told me it was the EGR sensor and that I would have to take it to a dealer. What the heck is an EGR Valve? and is it a do it yourself repair and did itsolve your problem in your case?

Also, I am very unhappy with my 2001 Maibu with the 3.1 engine. I've had nothing but trouble with the Passlock/theft deterrent system. I've had the ignition replaced twice, once under warranty and the second time, the warranty was expired when it started acting up again and I just use the insane method of waiting 10 minutes with the ignition on and until the flashing theft light goes out before you can start it again. No warning when it's going to happen. It can happen twice in a row or not until 10 starts later. I went the entire past summer with no problems and then it just started in again. It's really fun to sit in a cold car at -20 degrees, waiting for the 10 minutes to go by.

Prior to that, I experienced the infamous lower intake manifold seal problem. I caught it in time and it "only" cost me $2000+ to get it foixed. my sone had the same engine in a '99 Pontiac Grand Am and he didn't catch it in time and it cost him almost the cost of a new engine. My brother then experienced it in a van.

GM has issued no recalls on any of these problems and they wonder why they are in trouble. I can't afford to even trade this thing in now and the mechanic told me that the lower intake will eventually come back again becasue of the engine design. Just great!!!

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I'd like to find out what happened with the EGR Valve. My check engine light came on and a shop told me it was the EGR sensor and that I would have to take it to a dealer. What the heck is an EGR Valve? and is it a do it yourself repair and did itsolve your problem in your case?

Also, I am very unhappy with my 2001 Maibu with the 3.1 engine. I've had nothing but trouble with the Passlock/theft deterrent system. I've had the ignition replaced twice, once under warranty and the second time, the warranty was expired when it started acting up again and I just use the insane method of waiting 10 minutes with the ignition on and until the flashing theft light goes out before you can start it again. No warning when it's going to happen. It can happen twice in a row or not until 10 starts later. I went the entire past summer with no problems and then it just started in again. It's really fun to sit in a cold car at -20 degrees, waiting for the 10 minutes to go by.

Prior to that, I experienced the infamous lower intake manifold seal problem. I caught it in time and it "only" cost me $2000+ to get it foixed. my sone had the same engine in a '99 Pontiac Grand Am and he didn't catch it in time and it cost him almost the cost of a new engine. My brother then experienced it in a van.

GM has issued no recalls on any of these problems and they wonder why they are in trouble. I can't afford to even trade this thing in now and the mechanic told me that the lower intake will eventually come back again becasue of the engine design. Just great!!!
didn't hear that from our mechanic when our gasket seals were fixed. Unlike most folks N bods mine has been relatively trouble free from any engine related problems but I have experienced the same N bod brake problems in the past especially with uneven pad wear and the calipers.

and to answer your question the EGR valve or the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve is a vacuum operated valve that recirculates some of the exhaust fumes back through the intake manifold. this recirculation effect also prevents the build up of Nitrogen gases or NOX emissions. Occasionally the valve will get stuck or not function correctly and cause the NOX to build up. if it happened to your car it would have a rough sounding idle and a bucking effect when accelerating

1 - 7 of 7 Posts