GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ROMULUS — Two-dollar gas has arrived in Michigan, with plenty of time for more increases before Memorial Day.

A regular gallon of gas was selling for $2.09 Wednesday afternoon at an Amoco station on Middle Belt Road, outside the rental car lots at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.

About a dozen other stations, from Canton Township to Clarkston, pushed their prices to $1.99, stopping just short of dusting off their giant “2”s.

The last time gas hit $2 a gallon in Michigan was June 2000, when a record-high average of $2.07 was recorded, said Nancy Cain of AAA Michigan.

“It went from $1.89 to $2 in one day — two hours, really,” said Bill Hunter, 76, of Westland, who had to stop at the Romulus Amoco because the tank in his Pontiac Grand Prix was near empty. “It’s ridiculous, these prices.”

The Amoco was the first Metro Detroit gas station to break $2 a gallon, according to reports on DetroitGasPrices.com, a price-tracking Web site run by GasBuddy Organization Inc. But the station’s location near the airport rental-car lots made it a popular place to fill up, even for $2.09 a gallon — 22 cents higher than the price at a mostly empty Citgo station 2 miles south.

Full Article

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Here in Barrie, Ontario, gas hit 89.9 per litre yesterday (approx $2.61 gallon).
In Montreal it hit 94.9 (approx $3.10 gallon).

Crazy stuff.

I'm glad I sold my V8 Caddy.

·
Registered
922 Posts
In the Lansing area most stations range from $1.96-1.98. its funny to see the Mobil, Marathon, and Amaco stations that are usually 5-10 cents higher than the other guys, at the same price. They probably dont want to have the price at $2 or more and look bad.

·
Registered
815 Posts
$2.18 here is Sterling Heights Michigan today.

What the Hell?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now here is KS, it is $1.89, but it has been going up about 2 cents everyday for the last week

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by rme8494@May 6 2004, 03:36 PM
Damn this reminded me I need to get gas on the way home!! $1.70s in Dallas.
I think it went up to $1.80. :angry:

BTW, listen to 106.1 KISS FM on Saturdays around 5PM because they're always on location at a local gas station giving everyone there free gas (even premium) until about 6PM. Seems pretty good!

·
Registered
520 Posts
For the first time in my life I saw gas for over $2.00 per gallon. It was at a Chevron and that was the price for premium. Many other stations around town have been holding steady at $1.99. Regular grade prices range from $1.75 to $1.89. Thank goodness my little S10 takes 87 octane. Too bad the 4.3L gulps it down so quickly.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Bought for $1.74 this morning driving into work, but I think I was lucky.. I saw $1.80s like RC said... just in time for summer!! YEA!!!

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
How many gallons does the average car take? 20 at the most?

Even at the difference of 10 cents per gallon , that's a $2 difference

I don't understand people who wait in line for a "deal".

To wait an hour in line to save $2, just seems counter productive. My own personal time is worth more than $2 an hour.

i don't like high gas prices, but fighting for nickels and dimes isn't my style.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@May 7 2004, 02:22 PM
How many gallons does the average car take? 20 at the most?

Even at the difference of 10 cents per gallon , that's a $2 difference

I don't understand people who wait in line for a "deal".

To wait an hour in line to save $2, just seems counter productive. My own personal time is worth more than $2 an hour.

i don't like high gas prices, but fighting for nickels and dimes isn't my style.
I agree. I see it often here at a Clark station down the street. Two days ago there was a line of cars out on the street on two sides, and they had some of their entrances taped off to keep the flow of traffic going one way. The difference was about 18 cents a gallon (they were the second to the last station to make the jump to $1.90), but how much fuel did these people use sitting there idling in line while 4 cars gassed up ahead of them? If this wasn't the closest station to them, how much did they burn getting to this one? Is their time worth nothing? Do they have no diginity?

I filled up the next morning at a station down the road for $1.72 (they went up later that day), but I didn't have to wait at all.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
my car gets 40+ mpg... haven't had to get gas in 2 weeks... da da da da da... i'm lovin' it! but when i need it i stop at the first station i see. if there are 6 in sight i go to the cheapest, but i wouldn't wait in a line longer than 1 car in front of me.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
The only time I ever waited for gas was last summer when for one day only, a Racetrack gasoline station had premium at $0.87! That was a huge bargain, and I waited for 15 minutes. I thought it was worth it...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yea I don't I'd wait in line either. I have a Mobile/Exxon Speedpass so that pretty much tells me where I get gas. They are usually somewhere in the middle... cheaper than Shell, but more expensive than a RaceTrac or a Clark..

$.87 thats huge!

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
rme,
Did you notice that the number of Chevron/Texaco/Conoco/Mobil/Exxon/etc. gas stations have decreased and the number of Shell gas stations have DRAMATICALLY increased? That's just someting I noticed lately...

·
Registered
421 Posts
I waited an hour and a half for gas last august, and it was 2.20 a gallon :angry: Of course, when maybe 1 in 20 stations has gas, you take what you can get.

Here in Phoenix, I saw 2.15 for regular today.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Ouch! $2.15 ---- aghh!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts