GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really can't understand why GM has completely dropped the K5. Everyone I ever spoke to at Chevy and GMC said it was their best seller, and they could never keep them in stock when they were available. They also told me that they have heard nothing about a replacement. I know that Chevy made a 2 door show car a few years ago, but I never heard anything since then.

Has anyone heard or read anything about a new K5???

:type: :brick:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The two-door Tahoe was not a "best-seller." They were not in huge demand and that is why there weren't many on dealer's lots. When the four-door Tahoe came out, it outsold the old two-door models a few times over. The plant capacity being taken up by the two-door models were taking away from capacity that could be used by the more popular (and therefore more profitable) four-door model. I'm sure GM didn't lose too many sales by dropping the two-door models since most potential buyers simply moved over to the more useful four-door.

GM showed a two-door Tahoe on the autoshow circuit a few years ago, but nothing came of it.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
my guess is this market is partially addressed with the avalanche. i KNOW it's not a K5, but it offers a handy rear-end passenger/cargo treatment. the K5 in thos pics looks like a cool vehicle though!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember when I bought my 2000 Tahoe, the 2 door was still available. But you'd never know it. There was 1 - 2"X 2" picture of it in the brocure!!! I think that might of been the final year of production.

Now that I've had a 4 door Tahoe (and totaled it in a wreck). I realize that as a single guy the 2-door would of been perfect. And would be perfect now. I think I would buy a new 2 door in a heartbeat! I think it also says something that the aftermarket 2 door model retains a lot more vaule than the 4 door.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The "400" series (Appox 1991-2000 I'm not sure of exact model years) was the last series to have a full size 2 door SUV. There was a prototype "810" in Pontiac just prior to introduction of that series, but the truck never was produced. GM actually was rather severely beaten to the gate by Ford with it's midsize Explorer 4 door, that's when GM decided to introduce Tahoe/Yukon. I'm not sure it's still in production but Ford has produced Explorer/Mazda 2 doors untill recently. GM has continued the "S" type 2 door (as a price point vehicle). Do you see many of either?

·
Registered
576 Posts
That K5 would be cool without the extended cab and WITH a real tranny. I have yet to see an extended(excessive) cab that didnt ruin the lines of the truck.

A 2-door full-size V8 SUV with a manual tranny is pretty much the only thing I would consider trading my baby for.

There just isn't anything left out there that interests me in the 2-door SUV family, save for the new Wrangler Unlimited. I love GM, but their offerings just appeal to me less and less every year.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Mar 18 2004, 02:34 PM
Jeep is a brand. SUV is a type of vehicle. Jeep Wranglers are both.
I know that Jeep is a brand. But before it was a brand, jeep stood for GP: General Purpose.

The Cherokee and Liberty are JEEP SUV's.

I don't ccnsider the Wrangler an SUV. I consider it an off-road vehicle.

The tracker convertible I also don't consider an SUV. But the 4 door wagon, I do.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Mar 18 2004, 08:16 PM
But before it was a brand, jeep stood for GP: General Purpose.
i always thought it stood for GP: general practitioner. i'd heard that in the early jeep (vehicle) days doctors first used them to get around. maybe it's not true... but sounded interesting to me!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
me personally, I think the chevy tahoe is much more like a modern day version of the blazer i like them i think they are sweet unlike what they call a blazer today just my 2 cents

·
Registered
151 Posts
They need to bring back the 2 door blazer. Those things were awsome and they still are. They could make two different versions of that truck: they could have a lifted one for off-roading and lowered one to be a sports truck. I've never seen a lowered K5 before ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts