GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor Trend July issue page 16

In the NEWS/OPINION/GOSSIP/STUFF section of the Motor Trend that came in the mail today they talk about the future of the domestic mid-size sedans. 2010 Invicta, 2010 Insignia/2011 Aura, 2010 or 2011 G6, 2013 Malibu, Avenger, Sebring, Fusion/Milan were all discussed.

What I found interesting that I've not heard about before and couldn't find here searching anywhere is the following about the G6.

2010 or 2011 PONTIAC G6
"Once mired in a plan to switch to RWD, realities of CAFE mean that two rear-drive Pontiacs, the G8 and Solstice, are enough, thank you. While there's precious little intel on the new car, rumor is a new 2.8-liter V-6/hybrid powertrain will launch on the 2009 model. The future of the G6 couple and convertible is in question."

Anyone else heard of this 2.8L V6 hybrid powertrain? I haven't but it sure sounds interesting. Is it another bad MT rumor or truth?

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
2.8 V6????

I assume they mean the BAS Hybrid system, that's not news. But I don't remember anything about a new 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Motor Trend July issue page 16

In the NEWS/OPINION/GOSSIP/STUFF section of the Motor Trend that came in the mail today they talk about the future of the domestic mid-size sedans. 2010 Invicta, 2010 Insignia/2011 Aura, 2010 or 2011 G6, 2013 Malibu, Avenger, Sebring, Fusion/Milan were all discussed.

What I found interesting that I've not heard about before and couldn't find here searching anywhere is the following about the G6.

2010 or 2011 PONTIAC G6
"Once mired in a plan to switch to RWD, realities of CAFE mean that two rear-drive Pontiacs, the G8 and Solstice, are enough, thank you. While there's precious little intel on the new car, rumor is a new 2.8-liter V-6/hybrid powertrain will launch on the 2009 model. The future of the G6 couple and convertible is in question."

Anyone else heard of this 2.8L V6 hybrid powertrain? I haven't but it sure sounds interesting. Is it another bad MT rumor or truth?
A lot of 2009's are already out, so seems too soon for a new hybrid powertrain that we've not heard of here. Even seems unlikely for 2010.

Sounds like misinformed MT. Hopefully, GM surprises us with this, though.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Is this V6 the one they used in the entry level model of the first generaton CTS?

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
It would likely be the smallest member of the same V6 family at the 3.6. I believe the 2.8 is currently used in turbo form by Saab.

The relative lack of torque of the 2.8 would be likely be offset by the torque of the electric motor. Plus, all the DI stuff from the 3.6 should be easy to incorporate.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think that an excellent hybrid model for the Epsilon platform would be a 3.0L High Feature V6 with Direct Injection along with the dual-mode hybrid technology used in the 2008 Tahoe Hybrid and in the upcoming 2009 Saturn Vue dual-mode hybrid. Unfortunately though a dual-mode hybrid Epsilon would require a higher price premium due to the somewhat high cost of the new dual-mode hybrid technology, but it would surely pay off with outstanding fuel efficiency AND performance to boot, and would make for an exceptionally competitive hybrid Epsilon model. :yup:

The current 2.8HF is too small and doesn't have enough torque for the relatively heavy Epsilon platform therefore I think that a slightly larger 3.0L HF V6 with Direct Injection for increased efficiency(and performance) with the new dual-mode hybrid tech would do very well since the 3.6DI could possibly be a bit of overkill for a hybrid model Epsilon vehicle and a smaller-displacement 3.0HF could be tuned for better fuel efficiency than the 3.6HF motor. Combine that 3.0HF DI dual-mode hybrid powertrain with electric power steering, 6-speed auto, and regenerative braking for maximum fuel efficiency and GM would most DEFINITELY have a winning fwd midsize hybrid on its hands. :yup:

·
Registered
991 Posts
The 2.8 sounds like a good idea, since it will no doubt yield good gas mileage; a good compromise between 4-cyl. and the 3.6. I think the most important thing for the G6 is for them to save some weight: it's typically heavier than a comprable Accord, and cutting weight would help both performance and mileage. Generally speaking, I think GM should start making heavy use of turbos in Pontiac to keep up performance. Leave the hybrid systems to Chevy and Saturn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts