GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Equinox w/2.4 L engine. Dealer rebuilt top end (Pistons & rings, chain kit and HP fuel pump) but did not replace rod or main bearings. Now engine has gotten very noisy like rod bearings have excessive clearance. I can not understand not replacing bearings on an engine w/ almost 100,000 miles on it. The bearings cost less than $80.00 and I would have gladly paid for the replacement bearings. I have put together several engines in my 72 years and would never have done this type repair with out new bearings. Is there any recourse since I am now beyond the 100,000 mile mark. The rebuild was only about 6 weeks ago.

Thanks
DonnieB

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd hate to think GM was still assembling engines like the 2.2 pushrod engines in the Cavalier. Those little darlings were often found with as many as three different size "standard" main and rod bearings. That made it impossible to go through the engine without that many sets of bearings, and what were you supposed to do with the left over shells? Something is wrong here. You don't have to "rework" a crank to replace standard bearings with other standard bearings, even with modern oil the bearings at this age would show some wear, but the crank should not. They had to have the rods out to replace the pistons, why put the old bearings back?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.