GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think that this engine should be turbocharged rather than supercharged?
Because superchargers run off a pulley and would bog the engine down a bit. It's only a l4, would need all the power it could get.
turbochargers are cheaper and more efficient, and would produce more power.

I think the ION RL should be turbocharged. sure the supercharger has power right when you step on the gas, but who needs that in fwd? you would just light up the tires hardcore, rather than get anywhere lol, and by that time the turbo'd car would have more traction because its not as powerful yet, then by time the s/c'd car is done gaining traction the t/c'd car would be spooled up and ready to go.
and plus turbo's are easier to tweak.
Well thats my 2 cents worth.
Let me know your opinions on this.

·
Registered
776 Posts
It's a passenger car, not a race car. The vehicle will be operating over a broad range of RPM and not pegged in at the powerpeak by a professional race-car driver. Therefore, the broader power boost provided by a supercharger is a perfect fit for expanding the power of the ECOTEC while keeping it an easy daily driver. It will also run a bit cooler.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
As I do agree with you on the turbo, but for other reasons.
Its ever tuners dream power adder. Every F&F fan boi would want to make love to a big T88 turbo if they had a chance. I belive the reason teh SRT4 is so popular is because of the turbo, not to mention how cheap it is, and what kinda a** it can hand to people on the street. Yes, its still a Neon, but the GTO was just a Tempest. It might be sacraligious, but i belive that the SRT4 is the GTO of modern days. Its the first car to put a powerful engine into a compact car.

The supercharger is much cheaper over the turbo, and a whole heck of a lot easier to package. tweeking a supercharger is just as easy, if not easer with a supercharger. The turbo is more efficient as it doesnt draw massive power from parastic loss. But a pulley and fuel upgrade could make this car hit 300hp easy. The 2.0 ecotec is forged I belive, so power can keep on coming. I think that GM should stick with the turbo as they turbo there sport compact race cars, why not bring the race knowlage to the street!! DUH!!
and there is a turbo 2.0 ecotec, but its in a Saab.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Mar 26 2004, 10:11 AM
I doubt the parasitic loss from the pulley is any worse than the exhaust backpressure introduced by a turbo.
a turbo has a lot less then a supercharger. Figure for every 100hp you make with a power adder, you lose about 30 with the blower, and 3 with a turbo. With modern turbos and the way the exhaust manifold is shaped, turbo lag and backpreasure is pretty limited.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Mostly true, but it varies greatly on the size of the turbo relative to the size of the engine.

A turbo is usually better for the aftermarket, but superchargers are easier to get power out of for less money (pulley swaps etc.) and provide a good all around power band. I say off them both....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by banzai79@Mar 26 2004, 07:25 AM
It's a passenger car, not a race car. The vehicle will be operating over a broad range of RPM and not pegged in at the powerpeak by a professional race-car driver. Therefore, the broader power boost provided by a supercharger is a perfect fit for expanding the power of the ECOTEC while keeping it an easy daily driver. It will also run a bit cooler.
the ion is a passenger car, but the Red Line model is performance oriented.

and i would just rather a turbo than a supercharger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.