GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,790 Posts
Should be OK, but not great..............

My power steering was getting a little wonky at the end (rack-related). - 37 months old <25K miles
Heat sucks in the winter, as well as sucking the battery; headlights, wipers, defroster, heat, heated-seat.
"Mileage Tires" are not good in snow, so you'd have to do something about that.

I'm not sure how far you'd be driving, but guessing 50-70 one-way, a Cruze would be more economical, unless you could charge on "high" (13amps) at work for free, then you could probably get 25 miles or so recharged for your way home everyday, and with that, you'd be getting home "empty" and probably not have enough time to get a full-charge by the time you left for work the next day. Full-charge from the low (safe) setting is about 14 hours.

We had ours 3 winters, first winter it was a "4th car" so I stored it for 4 months. Winters two and three, it was a 3rd car, and we only drove it on seasonably mild days, occasionally on cold, but dry day.
Plug it in right when one gets home I guess;), and if there are errands take something else. Question, do the second better looking versions fare any better?

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Thanks guys!. My commute, should it happen will be approx 55mi one way (from the top tip of Delaware to Central South Jersey).

The Volt seemed like a logical choice,but I had started to look at 1st gen Cruzeses (or is it Cruzi) too,just in case if the Volt hype was just that and for what I need it is.

Looks like from what Ed is saying Cruze hunting is what I'll be doing.
If I were in a commute situation myself I'd pony up for a Cruze diesel and especially since I get most of my fuel at Costco and they somewhat recently added diesel pumps to the mix there. :) BTW, it's Cruze's ;)

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Thanks Bud!.....Cruze diesel eh? 🤔🧐...Does the diesel come in a fisrt gen wrapper?....I wonder how costly they are to repair if needed and part availability for that matter......I mean gas could come real easy....near free if I play my cards right......
Yes it does. That's the one I tend to like just because of the cabin area and getting in and out of them ;).

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Hopefully leaving early works out better for you than it did for me (sort of worked), until two years ago I had a 45 mile commute each way. Wore me down.

Not sure what the roads are like on your soon to be commute, but I'd recommend staying away from low profile tires. I suspect you'll encounter a pothole or two - they do a number on low profile tires and it's a long commute to be hyper vigilant of potholes. Though I was amazed at my ability to remember where they were - but, there is always that new pothole.
We have people out where I work that commute from north of here @50 miles from the next town north Cedar City to here every day. That would get old in a hurry even if it is all freeway IMO, and then comes winter and snow , oh yippee...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts